Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,349

3 members and 3,346 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Constant Scoping?

I've recently noticed my BP will just stare into space with her head not rested on anything. I wouldn't call it stargazing because her head is not straight up, but she will sit in the scoping position and will stare for minutes at a time at nothing at all. Nothing in the cage has changed. Temps are good, sheds are perfect, and she eats consistently; hasn't skipped a meal in several months. However its freaked me out everytime I've come up to her cage and see her not resting and instead very concentrated on nothing.

Theres been no other odd behavior besides standing up against the corner of the glass the other day for about 10 minutes. When I open the cage or put my hand in front of her, she does react so I'm hoping its normal. Maybe I'm over reacting but I would like to hear some others advice to make sure she's not suffering from an RI or anything. Would hate to brush something like that off.

Thank you!!

Thanks
    Thanked 19,829 Times in 11,846 Posts
    RI's have symptoms like noisy breathing, open-mouth breathing, excess mucus or bubbles in mouth, not merely looking up. Any sounds like crackling,
    whistling when she breathes?

What kind of cage is she in? Is there a screen top? If fresh air is coming into the cage from the top, that's what she's checking out, most likely. Any new
    scents in the room, or open windows, etc.?
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 10-27-2019 at 11:23 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Re: Constant Scoping?

That's good to know. I don't notice any noises when breathing, it's very quiet. No liquids or anything around her mouth, just the staring.

Shes in a 40 gallon breeder with a screen lid. No new scents, however I do keep a blanket on top of half of the lid to keep my fan from blowing air into her tank and I've just recently switched that blanket out for the first time. I never considered that to be the answer. Maybe it has a different smell than the other one? Should I try putting the old blanket back on top and see if she stops with the staring?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,829 Times in 11,846 Posts
    I'm betting that's what it is....snakes have a keen sense of smell. Even if you can't smell anything on it, she can & she KNOWS it's different.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

mkb200 (10-27-2019)