Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,177

0 members and 3,177 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Threaded View

Thanks

Hognose not eating

I have an adult male hypo hognose that I bought a few months ago. At first he was eating fine, then about 12 weeks ago he just stopped. I upped my husbandry game: he was in a 20 gallon long with aspen shavings, a couple of half-logs, and a water dish and I thought maybe he was bored, so I upgraded to a bioactive viv kit from the bio dude, and got him a daylight bulb as well. The bulb creates a TEENY hot spot (around the size of a quarter) that's around 104F and a large warm area that's ~95 around it(I'm measuring temp with an infrared temp gun). I see him out and about almost daily, and he usually spends several hours in the early afternoon under the bulb. I see him drink occasionally. He hisses and strikes if he sees me approach, typical hoggie stuff...but he didn't do that when he was in a plan box of shavings.

I'm only offering a mouse once a week, and I have not handled him in between feedings except a couple of times to weigh him. His weight is starting to drop a little, though he still looks/feels pretty sturdy. He was doing fine on FT hoppers for the first two months I had him, so I've continued offering those. I've left them out in his enclosure and I've tried confining him to a small box with them (he initially ate either way quite enthusiastically). I finally offered one scented with tuna juice, and today I went and got him a live fuzzy. I'm getting really worried about him, please help!

Here's a picture of his setup (the daylight bulb makes it too warm in the feeding box so I just turned it on for the picture and turned it right back off)

Last edited by Wolfchan; 10-26-2019 at 03:42 PM.