Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,042

0 members and 3,042 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,568
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,899 Times in 11,890 Posts

Re: Always In Humid Hide

Quote Originally Posted by aurum View Post
    When you say plastic are you talking about bins, pvc caging, or both?
    A few grim afterthoughts in a similar vein, just to answer your question. Feel free to do your own research, don't take my word for it. No surprise I'm not a smoker either.

They've known for some time that "new car smell" is actually unhealthy for you...as much as we love the idea of a new car (or new carpeting), that is actually off-gassing
    from materials used that really aren't too good for you to be breathing.

Same thing when houses burn, & the worst are "manufactured" housing & "mobile homes" because of all the synthetics they're made from...people die less from burns &
    more from inhaling the toxic smoke given off.

Anyway, sorry we're veering off topic here. My bad.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

aurum (10-24-2019)

Thanks

I will be doing the Animal Plastics t10. It's a PVC enclosure. But won't have it for a while unfortunately.

I do mist the tank down twice a day right now since we struggle to keep humidity up. I am gonna switch over to reptichip instead of a combo of eco earth coconut husk/reptibark. I hope that does help.

I have two thermometers/hygrometers in the tank. one on cool side. One on hot side. Hot side stays around 90 ambient. Cool side stays around 73. I struggle to get it up to 75 without the hot side becoming too hot. (suggestions welcome for that).

He's eating for me, and acting great otherwise. He just looooooooooves his humid hide. Last night I took the top off and checked the moss inside and it's actually not super moist at the moment. I decided to just let it be until I truly notice him go into blue.

I think I answered everyone's questions? If I missed one let me know. Haven't had my coffee yet! LOL
    Follow along on Poe's adventures on instagram: @poe.the.python

Thanks
    Thanked 9,713 Times in 3,870 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wonderwhitters View Post
    I will be doing the Animal Plastics t10. It's a PVC enclosure. But won't have it for a while unfortunately.

I do mist the tank down twice a day right now since we struggle to keep humidity up. I am gonna switch over to reptichip instead of a combo of eco earth coconut husk/reptibark. I hope that does help.

I have two thermometers/hygrometers in the tank. one on cool side. One on hot side. Hot side stays around 90 ambient. Cool side stays around 73. I struggle to get it up to 75 without the hot side becoming too hot. (suggestions welcome for that).

He's eating for me, and acting great otherwise. He just looooooooooves his humid hide. Last night I took the top off and checked the moss inside and it's actually not super moist at the moment. I decided to just let it be until I truly notice him go into blue.

I think I answered everyone's questions? If I missed one let me know. Haven't had my coffee yet! LOL
    I think you just answered your question about why he's in the moist hide. It's the best temp for him.

73F is way too cold for anywhere in the tank for a BP. 75F as well. 90F is great for when he needs to digest, but the rest of the time, he wants low - mid 80's. In 20L, I imagine the moist hide, sitting in the middle of the tank is where he wants to be. There is no hide there, so he uses the moist hide instead.

You need to fix temps.

I would move the CHE closer to the right side, get a second one, or get a UTH for the hot side to make his hot spot and move the CHE closer to the right side. ALTERNATIVELY, get a UTH for the cool side and set the thermostat so the cool spot is 78-80F.

I assume you are using a thermostat on all your heating elements. If not, you need to.

Secondly, how are you reading temps? It should be with a IR temp gun on the ground where he is/would be.

Keep us in the loop, but I think the mystery may be solved.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-24-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,899 Times in 11,890 Posts
    I agree with dakski's post above- the "humid hide" is in the middle & coincidentally, the temperatures there are also in the middle where he is most comfortable.

Once you get the right temperatures thru-out, you'll find out if he really prefers the "humid" hide or just the temperatures it had. It can be challenging to get
    set up for a BP's need for heat, as you said- ..."without the hot side becoming too hot". I think he'll still enjoy the humidity, but will change places more often.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 10-24-2019 at 11:33 AM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    I think you just answered your question about why he's in the moist hide. It's the best temp for him.

73F is way too cold for anywhere in the tank for a BP. 75F as well. 90F is great for when he needs to digest, but the rest of the time, he wants low - mid 80's. In 20L, I imagine the moist hide, sitting in the middle of the tank is where he wants to be. There is no hide there, so he uses the moist hide instead.

You need to fix temps.

I would move the CHE closer to the right side, get a second one, or get a UTH for the hot side to make his hot spot and move the CHE closer to the right side. ALTERNATIVELY, get a UTH for the cool side and set the thermostat so the cool spot is 78-80F.

I assume you are using a thermostat on all your heating elements. If not, you need to.

Secondly, how are you reading temps? It should be with a IR temp gun on the ground where he is/would be.

Keep us in the loop, but I think the mystery may be solved.
    So the CHE is as far to the right as it can possibly go unfortunately. I already have a UTH for the hot side with thermostat attached. Thermostat being used most definitely. I'm temp gunning ground twice a day to double check, and I have two accurite readers that tell me temps/humidity levels. One on cool side, and one on hot side. I find the readers show such a DRASTIC difference in humidity on each side. I can add another UTH on left side if needed. That isn't a problem. I wish I knew why I was struggling so badly to get the temps just right. The CHE is on a dimmer, and i find i adjust it slightly too high or slightly too low and can't quite find a happy medium.
    Last edited by wonderwhitters; 10-24-2019 at 11:42 AM.
    Follow along on Poe's adventures on instagram: @poe.the.python

Thanks

I am going to respond to this with my set up since I have a 20L as well. This is just how I do it and what seems to be working for me...I am no expert. Maybe I won't get blasted for sharing my opinion. I have a uth under his hot side that keeps that hide at around 90. After much adjusting I found that putting the che in the middle of the tank on a thermostat I can keep ambient temps across the tank at around 80 which greatly improved my humidity factor. The humidity is most like very low on the side with che because it does dry out the tank. This setup seems to be working the best so far. I also have almost all the screen top covered with insulation board now that it is getting colder. I was just using aluminum foil.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Snakemom85 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-24-2019)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12