Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,360

1 members and 3,359 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

Feeding during shred cycle

My Snake/rocky (I call him either the Snake or rocky) is in his shred cycle, skins gone icky and dull along with his eyes going milky. Is it safe for me to feed him during his cycle or is it advisable to wait until he’s had his shred then feed him? I normally feed him or leave his mouse (pre killed)in his tub so he can eat it when he feels like. I’ve never really thought about it until now as his feeds don’t often fall when his eyes are milky.

So should I wait until he’s finished his shred cycle or wait until his eyes are clear, or just offer him a mouse and see if he wants it?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,830 Times in 11,847 Posts
    I assume you mean his "shed" cycle... Many snakes won't eat when offered food at this time, so unless you enjoy throwing it away & wasting money, it's better to
    just wait until he sheds. They don't normally eat in the wild when in shed...they won't starve, I promise. Nor do snakes require an exact feeding schedule...that also
    doesn't happen in real life for snakes.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (10-18-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Feeding during shred cycle

Quote Originally Posted by Ste View Post
    My Snake/rocky (I call him either the Snake or rocky) is in his shred cycle, skins gone icky and dull along with his eyes going milky. Is it safe for me to feed him during his cycle or is it advisable to wait until he’s had his shred then feed him? I normally feed him or leave his mouse (pre killed)in his tub so he can eat it when he feels like. I’ve never really thought about it until now as his feeds don’t often fall when his eyes are milky.

So should I wait until he’s finished his shred cycle or wait until his eyes are clear, or just offer him a mouse and see if he wants it?
    When mine was young I fed it regardless and it almost always ate, even during shed and I never had a problem with the shed. But now I have learned since my snake is older to hold off and wait till shed is all done (especially since this last refusal). see below. And since yours is in blue it won't be long till it is over so I would just hold off in this case. It won't be that many days till it is over. And some times they also let out a load of poo and will be pretty ready to eat then.

This is slightly related to this subject so here goes. I have learned reading if a snake is hungry is not as easy as you would think. This last time my snake was S curled inside the hide. I thought for sure it is hungry. After much effort I decided my snake was in a defensive stance and wanted to be left alone, because it was in shed. So sometimes it is hard to tell if it's hunger or defensive when it is S curled inside the hide.
    Last edited by ballpythonsrock2; 10-18-2019 at 07:17 PM.