So I'm looking into getting Asian Vine snakes. I'm no stranger to a variety of snake species. I work with everything from a normal ball python to Louisiana pine snakes. I have indigo's and corn snakes, rosy boas and house snakes. I'm basically on every Spectrum left and right lol
But everything I own is a mouse or bird eater. I've never delt with a straight lizard eater before. Feeder lizards are not going to be easy for me to purchase locally. I started to read that a lot of Asian Vine snakes have parasite issues from being caught in the wild.
I started to read more and found out that there's a big problem with feeder lizards caring mass of parasites loads that also taint captive-born specimens.
Well looking into it, I couldn't really find an answer to this. Why are there no Frozen lizards available as a food source?
In my mind, Frozen thawed would kill any parasite load and make it safe for the snake, Thus eradicating this massive parasite problem that we're dealing with in these species.
I've never personally tried to defrost a lizard and feed it off. Is there reason that no one else is trying? Do they not thaw well? Is there some little common knowledge about it that I've been kept out of the loop with?
Any insight is appreciated! Thank you so much!