Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,959

0 members and 2,959 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,543
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey

Threaded View

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Back in the Game

Quote Originally Posted by CloudtheBoa View Post
    Thank you so much! The AFRMA link just said marten was dominant (unknown) and I couldn’t find much else on it so I thought it would be dominant. XD So I assume all the babies would be 100% het marten? Rat/mouse genetics don’t seem as straightforward as snake genetics....

Now, if I were wanting to add individuals or replace my colony with known genetics, what are my best options for doing so? Would an AFRMA certified breeder be willing to sell to me, or mentor me, knowing I’m also breeding for snake food? Or just keep looking on Craigslist for sellers, checking pet stores, etc.?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    In Texas, AFRMA is a joke. Most of the serious breeders of rats don't mess with AFRMA and the few rats I've seen from their lines are horrible messes. Low litter count and weird proportions based on what they consider "ideal". Also, a lot of pet breeders don't believe in culling in any form, so snake food breeders are kind of their own group.

There is a group on Facebook called "Feeder Breeder Enthusiasts" that will answer 99% of all your questions without too much issue and with out any judgement. I raise a number of feeders outside of Rats and am expanding, and it's one of my favorite groups. In regards to mentoring you, I've mentored more than one novice rat breeder and am happy to answer any questions I can for you either on here, or on Facebook if you want to find me. Send me a PM and I'll link you my profile.

Color Genetics for Rats are not any more complicated than Snake Genetics, but it's the genetics of Pattern that will get you all wound up. I personally don't like patterns outside of Hooded and Blaze, so I've done my best to cull out anything other than those, but those two genes interact well with Self, Irish, and Berkshire patterns, which are most of my collection.

I'd get onto FBE on Facebook and post that you're looking to get "Founding Stock" for a rattery. Go entirely with known lines and genetics as inbreeding isn't an issue and make sure that whoever you buy from has the genes you want. If you were closer to me I'd help you out. But you can find someone within reasonable distance. It's worth EVERY PENNY to get good, known lines out of the gate to avoid having to breed out things like Maternal Aggression and any temperament issues.

Best,

Paul

2. The Following User Says Thank You to pbenner For This Useful Post:

CloudtheBoa (10-08-2019)