Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,027

1 members and 3,026 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,577
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux

View Poll Results: So...

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm gonna continue to vape.

9 24.32%
  • I plan to quit vaping.

2 5.41%
  • I will stop vaping until we get more info.

1 2.70%
  • I'm going back to smoking.

0 0%
  • I'm still smoking.

2 5.41%
  • It's all gross and i save so much money.

23 62.16%
  • I'm too young.

0 0%
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast
    Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Re: The Vaping Epidemic

Quote Originally Posted by cletus View Post
    People of legal age should be able to do what they want provided it doesn't harm others. I don't smoke and I honestly know zilch about vaping and I don't judge. You be you and I'll be me.
    Couldn't agree more.

"My choice is what I choose to do
    And if I'm causing no harm
    It shouldn't bother you.

Your choice is who you choose to be
    And if you're causing no harm
    Then you're alright with me"

---- Ben Harper

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

sur3fir3 (10-06-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,921 Times in 11,903 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    Couldn't agree more.

"My choice is what I choose to do
    And if I'm causing no harm
    It shouldn't bother you.

Your choice is who you choose to be
    And if you're causing no harm
    Then you're alright with me"

---- Ben Harper
    That sounds great on paper, but it's society that picks up the tab for all those who get sick or injured & cannot pay their own way, and that includes those under-age.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (10-06-2019),rlditmars (10-06-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    That sounds great on paper, but it's society that picks up the tab for all those who get sick or injured & cannot pay their own way, and that includes those under-age.
    If we went with this belief everything would be illegal. So what you are saying is that only people that pay for their medical services have the right to do what makes them happy.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sur3fir3 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (10-06-2019),tttaylorrr (11-09-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sur3fir3 View Post
    If we went with this belief everything would be illegal. So what you are saying is that only people that pay for their medical services have the right to do what makes them happy.

Pretty much saying that the government (which is representing the interests of our society) has a role in preventing self-destructive behaviors when your common sense
    fails to preclude them...because the rest of us do pick up the tab, or are impacted in other ways.

I'm all for personal freedom & personal responsibility but people don't all mean the same thing when they talk about it. It's the same reason we have speed limits on
    our roads: just because it feels great to some who would love to drive far faster doesn't make it safe or sensible for that to be allowed...there are consequences.

I don't personally care if you choose to self-destruct...that's your business. Until it affects others...
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 10-06-2019 at 01:55 PM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Pretty much saying that the government (which is representing the interests of our society) has a role in preventing self-destructive behaviors when your common sense
    fails to preclude them...because the rest of us do pick up the tab, or are impacted in other ways.

I'm all for personal freedom & personal responsibility but people don't all mean the same thing when they talk about it. It's the same reason we have speed limits on
    our roads: just because it feels great to some who would love to drive far faster doesn't make it safe or sensible for that to be allowed...there are consequences.

I don't personally care if you choose to self-destruct...that's your business. Until it affects others...
    Ok. And in this instance I am choosing to do something that will impact my health less than smoking cigarettes. Everyone is failing to see that used properly vaping can and will save lives. If we are already inhaling the smoke from combustibles vaping is the better of the two. If we really want to address the problem of teen vaping they need to looking at only allowing vaping products to be sold at specific vaping stores that dont even allow kids to enter. It is like an adult store. The problem is selling these devices and juice at gas stations where children have access to them.

I dont disagree with regulation, I do disagree with an outright ban.

Let's talk about what the regulation should be instead of arguing political beliefs.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,498 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sur3fir3 View Post
    Ok. And in this instance I am choosing to do something that will impact my health less than smoking cigarettes. Everyone is failing to see that used properly vaping can and will save lives. If we are already inhaling the smoke from combustibles vaping is the better of the two. If we really want to address the problem of teen vaping they need to looking at only allowing vaping products to be sold at specific vaping stores that dont even allow kids to enter. It is like an adult store. The problem is selling these devices and juice at gas stations where children have access to them.

I dont disagree with regulation, I do disagree with an outright ban.

Let's talk about what the regulation should be instead of arguing political beliefs.

I can't believe what I am reading here. First of all there isn't enough data to make as bold a statement as vaping is less hazardous than smoking. Smoking has been around for centuries and has been researched for the better part of fifty years. While it is without a doubt deadly, it takes a long time for the effects to manifest. Vaping has been out for about two decades and the impact is already being seen. Vaping no more saves the life of a smoker than a meat grinder saves someone from a guillotine. It's simply a different path to the same result. And regarding letting people do as they wish, society has a responsibility to protect the public, sometimes from itself.

Last item is regarding live and let live. I would but you're asking me to live and let others commit slow suicide on my dime. When a hospital treats an indigent for a smoking or vaping related illness, the burden is shouldered by John Q Public in the form of another tax or an increase in our health benefit premiums, etc. The most frustrating thing about this is the person being treated can't usually afford the habit, but they still find the means to feed it and then we get to pay for the treatment.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rlditmars For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-06-2019),jmcrook (10-06-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    Just to play devil's advocate here....

I don't disagree with what's being said about government footing the bill.... however...

Based on vaping being banned, logic would tell us not only cigarettes and alcohol, but McDonald's, caffeine, energy drinks, fried food, sugar, potato chips, the sun, microwaves, cell phones, cured meats, salt, etc...etc...etc... should all be banned. They're ALL killing us too... Oh wait, people due in cars, ban 'em. People kill people using guns, knives, axes, rope a candlestick....ban 'em.

I'm exaggerating for effect, but trying to make a point. Obesity is a huge problem in this country, we're not banning McDonald's and Ben and Jerry's.
    Meth kills people, we're not banning cough syrrup...

Again, making a point. But the point is....where do we draw the line??
    My girlfriend is an RN and the clinical manager for a pulmonary specialty office. The vast majority of her patients are obese and/or cigarette smokers, many on government health care.

So, you make a valid point, but if it's ok to ban one it should all be banned.

Thanks

Just to play devil's advocate here....

I don't disagree with what's being said about government footing the bill.... however...

Based on vaping being banned, logic would tell us not only cigarettes and alcohol, but McDonald's, caffeine, energy drinks, fried food, sugar, potato chips, the sun, microwaves, cell phones, cured meats, salt, etc...etc...etc... should all be banned. They're ALL killing us too... Oh wait, people due in cars, ban 'em. People kill people using guns, knives, axes, rope a candlestick....ban 'em.

I'm exaggerating for effect, but trying to make a point. Obesity is a huge problem in this country, we're not banning McDonald's and Ben and Jerry's.
    Meth kills people, we're not banning cough syrrup...

Again, making a point. But the point is....where do we draw the line??
    My girlfriend is an RN and the clinical manager for a pulmonary specialty office. The vast majority of her patients are obese and/or cigarette smokers, many on government health care.

So, you make a valid point, but if it's ok to ban one it should all be banned.

Sorry but it doesn't work that way. Unfortunately we DO have to draw some lines for the good of our civilization & locally, for the public. Research and common sense tells us which ones. Sure, cars kill & knives kill, but they're pretty useful & generally ok. You won't convince me that it's essential for anyone to be allowed to buy more weapons of mass destruction (more than they already do) for example, & yes, I favor banning assault weapons...weapons of war just don't belong on public streets no matter whose pitiful ego thinks they do...and the government is there to put limits on those things are are the most harmful to public health. Debates will go on...with the ones making money off such products are the ones pushing the hardest to keep them legal.

Let's talk about how cigarettes have been handled in our world: for many years, non-smokers were forced to inhale the smoke of others in work places, restaurants etc.Even now that most places have gone non-smoking, streets are still littered with cigarette butts & people who enjoy smoking still stand around the doorways of businesses where they are not allowed by law to smoke (FYI, smoke adheres to the hair & clothing of non-smokers that have to walk thru the clouds of smoke! Many of us prefer to take breathing seriously & would rather not reek.) AND burning butts tossed from vehicles along roadways still start massive brush fires that burn down peoples houses, ruin wild lands, kill wildlife, and guess what, we ALL pay for the damages. So the things that "the rest of us" pay for is not limited to the medical care of indigent patients, or those who just don't think they "need" medical insurance.

Just because we can't stop people from over-eating or every other conceivable act of self-destruction doesn't meant that nothing should be banned or restricted in a civilized country. If you cannot tolerate a few rules meant for the "good of all" then I'm sure there are still places you can go live off the grid & no one will know or care what you do.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 10-06-2019 at 05:21 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

MarkL1561 (10-06-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    I'm saying, I have as much a right to inhale vapor into my own lungs as anybody has the right to super size their double quarter pounder meal with fries and a cola, and wash it down with a milkshake

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

sur3fir3 (10-06-2019)

Thanks

I'm saying, I have as much a right to inhale vapor into my own lungs as anybody has the right to super size their double quarter pounder meal with fries and a cola, and wash it down with a milkshake
    Good luck with that...

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast