Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,205

3 members and 3,202 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Scott L. (28)

» Stats

Members: 75,130
Threads: 248,574
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RelentlessPanda
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeder rat dead

Thanks

Feeder rat dead

And by that I don't mean my snake, I got the feeder rat last Saturday and noticed my ball python was starting to go into shed but still I tried to see if she would eat but she didn't so I took her out put her back in her tank and put food and water in the feeding tank for the rat as I usually do until my snake seems ready to eat or willing. Today I walked through my bedroom where the feeding tank is and noticed the rat was dead I don't know how or even why it was dead it had food and fresh water I keep the tank clean with soap and water this is the first one to die on me. Any ideas?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    I love my danger noodle

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Feeder rat dead

Quote Originally Posted by IllumiBunny View Post
    And by that I don't mean my snake, I got the feeder rat last Saturday and noticed my ball python was starting to go into shed but still I tried to see if she would eat but she didn't so I took her out put her back in her tank and put food and water in the feeding tank for the rat as I usually do until my snake seems ready to eat or willing. Today I walked through my bedroom where the feeding tank is and noticed the rat was dead I don't know how or even why it was dead it had food and fresh water I keep the tank clean with soap and water this is the first one to die on me. Any ideas?

How big of a rat? Maybe old age?

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,211 Times in 1,099 Posts

Rats are pretty durable, but, they have a few things that will kill them fast.
    Heat, Dehydration, and Chemicals

Overfilling the water bottles was a common issue in my Lab. If there is no air in the water bottle then it can create negative pressure on the sipper tube. On hot days it is bad news if it is not spotted quickly...
    *.* TNTC

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (08-30-2019),Craiga 01453 (08-30-2019),IllumiBunny (08-30-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Sorril View Post
    Rats are pretty durable, but, they have a few things that will kill them fast.
    Heat, Dehydration, and Chemicals

Overfilling the water bottles was a common issue in my Lab. If there is no air in the water bottle then it can create negative pressure on the sipper tube. On hot days it is bad news if it is not spotted quickly...

All of the above.

There are also nasal irritants and the like that can cause an excess of mucus or an easy path to an imbalance of naturally occurring nasal bacteria that can quickly drop an otherwise healthy rat.

Being as small as they are, they go REALLY quickly.

Paul

6. The Following User Says Thank You to pbenner For This Useful Post:

IllumiBunny (08-30-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Stress, you tried to feed it an then put it in a tank without it's colony. Or, did it eat any of the food? Then you have heat. If the tank got over 80 you'll have a few dead rats.

Did it come from a pet store? Tell them it died (take it with you) an get another or see if the store had a die off.

Maybe it's a good thing your snake wasn't hungry.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 303_enfield For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-30-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 303_enfield View Post
    Stress, you tried to feed it an then put it in a tank without it's colony. Or, did it eat any of the food? Then you have heat. If the tank got over 80 you'll have a few dead rats.

Did it come from a pet store? Tell them it died (take it with you) an get another or see if the store had a die off.

Maybe it's a good thing your snake wasn't hungry.
    It ate some bread that I had giving it but the rat food I don't think it touched any of it it's one of those mixed foods with corn pieces and my room is pretty cool so I don't believe it was a heating issue I bought it from the same pet store I usually get them from but I will be going back tomorrow and asking about it I am glad she didn't eat it if it turns out there was something wrong with it but it seemed healthy it was chubby not sneezing I heard it running around this morning so it had to have died within the last couple hours it might of been stress related

I love my danger noodle

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sur3fir3 View Post
    How big of a rat? Maybe old age?
    It was a medium sized rat looked maybe less than a year old

I love my danger noodle

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Might be a good time to transition to F/T if possible.

Also, ditch the seperate feeding tub. It's old school and proven counter productive over time.
    There's literally ZERO benefit to feeding tubs

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (08-30-2019),Bogertophis (08-30-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,917 Times in 11,900 Posts
    A medium sized rat does not drop dead easily or quickly with reasonable care. My guess (as a former pet rat keeper & breeder of many years) is that it was sick,
    & I'd for sure mention that to the pet store, though it's hard to prove at this point. Rats in pet stores* can be exposed to various illnesses & when under more stress
    (like trying to feed it to your snake) might have been the "last straw". You might not have noticed that it was congested, etc. Live rats also pose some risk to us
    too, by the diseases/pathogens they carry, so I second the suggestion to get your snake feeding on f/t...it's safer for your snake AND for you.

*In the past, I've known some pet stores that bought their rodents from local suppliers, & one time when the mgr. actually checked out their source in person (after
    buying their rodents for a while) they discovered to their horror that their rodents were being raised in a shed that failed to keep out wild rats (etc) too, under dirty
    & horrible conditions...you never know, but you might get some hint if you know what to look for in the rodents themselves...like if they're scratching (have lice) etc.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (08-30-2019),Stewart_Reptiles (08-30-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    A medium sized rat does not drop dead easily or quickly with reasonable care. My guess (as a former pet rat keeper & breeder of many years) is that it was sick,
    & I'd for sure mention that to the pet store, though it's hard to prove at this point. Rats in pet stores* can be exposed to various illnesses & when under more stress
    (like trying to feed it to your snake) might have been the "last straw". You might not have noticed that it was congested, etc. Live rats also pose some risk to us
    too, by the diseases/pathogens they carry, so I second the suggestion to get your snake feeding on f/t...it's safer for your snake AND for you.

*In the past, I've known some pet stores that bought their rodents from local suppliers, & one time when the mgr. actually checked out their source in person (after
    buying their rodents for a while) they discovered to their horror that their rodents were being raised in a shed that failed to keep out wild rats (etc) too, under dirty
    & horrible conditions...you never know, but you might get some hint if you know what to look for in the rodents themselves...like if they're scratching (have lice) etc.
    I use to own rats too for years but they weren't feeder rats some of them had sneezing but they still didn't die on me I mean eventually they did after 3 years but that is their life expectancy

I love my danger noodle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast