Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,419

2 members and 3,417 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Ball python stress and tank size?

There is a small temperature gradient, I’m trying to improve it today. The humidity is about 57 so it’s good. She also has a decent amount of substrate but I’m also adding more today as she showed how much she likes to burrow by digging her once small and cramped hide into the large one with two entrances it is today. I’ll be adding more inside the hide and around it. She simply seems to enjoy exploring almost as she’s eating fine and doesn’t look stressed or scared when she sees me anymore. But I’m also new to this and am probably wrong.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I just wanted to follow up on a few things you said...

First, when you said you were "probably wrong"... Don't sell yourself short. You're on here trying to learn and applying what you're learning. That shows you care. So trust yourself.

Watch your snake and learn her mannerisms and body language. When a snake is stressed you can usually tell by quick, frequent tongue flicks, quick erratic movements and you'll often be able to see the lungs expanding and contracting more quickly and noticably.

The snake being "geared up" or in "S" shape doesn't always mean the animal is stressed. However, that strike position combined with the above indicators usually means the snake wants to be left alone.

A calm snake will display slow, calculated movements along with steady, controlled tongue flicks.

You're certainly getting there. Keep up the great work 👍
    You're off to a solid start and with a little more homework and experience you'll be a great snake keeper.

Sidenote: what I said above can be applied to most species, but since we're discussing a BP my comments were made about BPs.

Thanks

She is usually calm and I’m happy with that, what has me worried is she is also usually awake and ready to explore the world. She seems to enjoy being handled and out of her hide most of the time unless she has eaten. From what I’ve read it’s a bad sign but she seems healthy and happy. I’m really glad to have such kind people on here to help too so thank you for that

4. The Following User Says Thank You to EldritchPreacher For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (09-02-2019)

Thanks

Large tank sizes are generally fine but you have to make your snake feel secure, esp if they are shy. The larger the tank, the more hides and clutter you need to put in. Little snake in a big tank with nothing in it = stressed out little noodle - lots of cover, branches, foliage, hides will go a LONG way to helping your snake enjoy the space she is offered

Sent from my H3223 using Tapatalk

Thanks

I don’t think she is shy, she enjoys being out and exploring from what I’ve seen. She especially loves to climbs on anything she can whenever she can. That was part of the initial reason for this thread as she almost seems to sprang more time exploring and playing with the new cord she using to climb than sleeping now adays. It isn’t frantic escape movements and she doesn’t use her tongue that much anymore, she just wanders around happily.

Thanks

My young female is that way. Loves to climb, is not shy in the least, very active and curious. As soon as she is healthy I fully intend to give her a large tank to live in. I honestly think you need to just know your snake, see when they're stressed, know how to tell their stress and accommodate what you think they would like. As long as husbandry needs are met, that's what matters

Sent from my H3223 using Tapatalk

Thanks

After I posted that she ate and took a two day nap. She has graced me with her snoot sticking out her hide to see if she wants to try and explore again. The advice you guys gave me made life so much easier. Thank you guys I’ll keep you posted on developments

9. The Following User Says Thank You to EldritchPreacher For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (09-06-2019)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12