Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,420

1 members and 3,419 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

VERY active snake

Hello all!

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with older snakes and knows if they have any strange behaviors. My snake is around 20 years old and recently has become VERY active but will not eat. If I'm in the room during the day he'll start slithering around his tank and I'm pretty sure he's non-stop moving at night. Also, even if he's resting he'll be sprawled out instead of curled up in his hide. He's had these hides for a while so I know he can use them, just seems to have no interest.
    His tank is PVC with Plexiglas doors, warm side is 88-90, cold side is 75ish, humidity around 60.

I've tried offering him a variety of rat sizes (dead prey) and tried feeding both in his own tank and a separate one.

I know snakes can go a long while without eating, so mostly I'm concerned that he isn't using his hides anymore and want to reduce any possible stress he has.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 19,830 Times in 11,847 Posts
    When is the last time he ate? And what was he being fed (size & type), & how often was he eating? What about his feces?

What is your substrate in cage? Could he have ingested something besides prey? (this behavior could suggest internal pain or blockage)
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Valyndris (08-28-2019)

Thanks

Re: VERY active snake

Thank you for your quick response! He last ate on the 8th of August and was offered a medium thawed rat (defrosts in the refrigerator and then warmed in water). Isn't the most frequent of eaters, typically once or twice a month.
    His substrate is coconut fibers mixed with reptibark. I looked and found some urates and well as feces that was mostly fur.
    Do you know of any way to check without a vet visit? The town I live in doesn't have a snake vet but I do have access to an x-ray.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hakkapalle View Post
    Hello all!

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with older snakes and knows if they have any strange behaviors. My snake is around 20 years old and recently has become VERY active but will not eat. If I'm in the room during the day he'll start slithering around his tank and I'm pretty sure he's non-stop moving at night. Also, even if he's resting he'll be sprawled out instead of curled up in his hide. He's had these hides for a while so I know he can use them, just seems to have no interest.
    His tank is PVC with Plexiglas doors, warm side is 88-90, cold side is 75ish, humidity around 60.

I've tried offering him a variety of rat sizes (dead prey) and tried feeding both in his own tank and a separate one.

I know snakes can go a long while without eating, so mostly I'm concerned that he isn't using his hides anymore and want to reduce any possible stress he has.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
    I had a snake start doing this very thing ... when I quickly checked the surface temps with a digital temp gun the temps were high ... the stat had failed with the heat being left on !

Luckily I check all my snakes quite often ( being a little obsessive) and I notice any differences in behaviour

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-28-2019),Godzilla78 (08-28-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,830 Times in 11,847 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hakkapalle View Post
    Thank you for your quick response! He last ate on the 8th of August and was offered a medium thawed rat (defrosts in the refrigerator and then warmed in water). Isn't the most frequent of eaters, typically once or twice a month.
    His substrate is coconut fibers mixed with reptibark. I looked and found some urates and well as feces that was mostly fur.
    Do you know of any way to check without a vet visit? The town I live in doesn't have a snake vet but I do have access to an x-ray.
    An X-ray is only as good as the medical person interpreting it though. Does he have any lumps or swellings? or what we call "sausage butt"?

Keep in mind that for a 20 year old snake, he's eating quite a lot (assuming typical size for "medium" rat)...would be better off probably if you didn't feed such large meals-they're harder to digest.

I also agree, btw, to double-check the temps. in cage. Something is making him uncomfortable, sounds like.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 08-28-2019 at 09:29 AM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)