Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,344

1 members and 3,343 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.

View Poll Results: On the Discovery Channel, i prefer to watch...

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bush and Survival Stuff - Alaskan Bush People, Man vs Wild, Dual Survival, Raising Wild, Naked and Afraid

0 0%
  • Gameshows: Battlebots, Cash Cab

0 0%
  • Investigative Science - How It's MAde, Mybusters, Smash Lab

0 0%
  • Motor Shows - American Chopper, Monster Grage, Fast N' Loud

0 0%
  • Occupational Shows - Deadliest Catch, Gold Rush, Dirty Jobs, Sons of Guns, LA Ink/Miami Ink, Ghost Hunters

0 0%
  • Shark Week!

0 0%
  • Wildlife, Culutral and Scientific Documentaries - Planet Earth, Raging Planet, Walking with Dinosaurs, Serengeti

4 80.00%
  • The Ridiculous: Alaskan Bush People, Amish Mafia, Eaten Alive, Moonshiners, Street Outlaws

1 20.00%
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

Are u watching Serengeti? and The Discovery Channel?

i saw a bit of Serengeti, The Discovery Channel's new African animals documentary series, a week or so ago, but finally got to sit down and watch 2 episodes last night and i love it! it's narrated by Oscar winning actress Lupita Nyong'o and the series follows various families of animals (Baboons, Lions, Hyenas, Painted Dogs, Zebras, etc.) on the Serengeti grassland, forests and waters. it shows the beauty of nature and how unforgiving it can be. i really miss these shows and really wish The Discovery Channels would produce and air more of them. instead they've turned into a network of variety shows and reality TV. i admit that i like some of their shows like Dirty Jobs, Mythbusters and stuff but i really hate the marathons of Fast N Loud, the fake and ridiculous Alaskan Bush People, etc. what do u think?
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-26-2019),Kam (08-27-2019)

Thanks

Re: Are u watching Serengeti? and The Discovery Channel?

I haven't seen it yet, but I did see the trailer/ad for it, and I want to watch it. My preference has always been for programs I can learn from - Blue Planet and Blue Planet 2 are some of my favorites, but North America was great with the music as well (even my husband enjoyed that and he finds most of that stuff pretty dry).

One of my favorite "show" types is River Monsters. I still got a lot of learning out of it, and I enjoyed how Jeremy Wade included some cultural background into his trips. I also really enjoy Deadliest Catch, though I don't watch it much anymore. I have a ton recorded.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ladywhipple02 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-26-2019),Craiga 01453 (08-26-2019),Kam (08-27-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,841 Times in 11,853 Posts
    I haven't seen Serengeti yet either, but I'm with ladywhipple02...I often watch River Monsters. It reminds me why I like swimming in the pool & not our very deep
    dark lakes or local rivers, lol.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

ladywhipple02 (08-26-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I haven't started it yet, but I definitely will be watching it. Katie and I will probably start it over the weekend.

I love watching nature shows, zoo shows, vet shows, etc...
    The vet ones can be tough seeing some of the animals in such bad shape, but it's still fascinating to me. Swamp People and Wicked Tuna are great too.

I haven't watched the tattoo show you mentioned but I've been watching Ink Master forever. Skin Wars was great too, but only lasted a few seasons.

So much better than the Kardashians or Real Housewives or Teen Moms or any of that crap. If I wanted to kill (more) brain cells I'd start drinking again! Hahahahahaha!
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 08-26-2019 at 03:51 PM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-26-2019),ladywhipple02 (08-26-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I haven't seen Serengeti yet either, but I'm with ladywhipple02...I often watch River Monsters. It reminds me why I like swimming in the pool & not our very deep
    dark lakes or local rivers, lol.
    Reminds me back when Gators where endangered and I was training at a waterski school in Florida.

If the Gator was near the Jump ramp we went over to the slalom course. If he was at the slalom course, we would work on jumping.

If he could not be seen, we did not trickski that day (tricking had no hard designated area, plus you fall ALOT!). Some days were more edgy than others.
    Last edited by Reinz; 08-26-2019 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Add
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

Thanks

I've been watching it and I really enjoy it for the most part. The narrative aspect of it takes a little getting use to but I'm still on board. You can tell the filmmakers and editors are crafting a story people can follow but in the process they're interacting with the animals for many shots. For example, in one of the episodes you can tell a lion is clearly reacting to a camera mounted on a remote control vehicle of some kind but the editing makes it seem like the lion is interacting with another lion.