Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 522

11 members and 511 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 03:30 AM.


» Today's Birthdays

Simple Man (39)

» Stats

Members: 68,322
Threads: 242,836
Posts: 2,519,848
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, rebccalim
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 42
  1. #11
    BPnet Veteran Bogertophis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-28-2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    11,886
    Thanks
    16,472
    Thanked 9,646 Times in 6,178 Posts

    Re: Requiem ... or just "Q" for now (2019 IMG Motley het CA T+)

    Quote Originally Posted by RedRabbit View Post
    ...
    I've definitely already seen the evidence of that enthusiastic feeding. (And it's a joy, compared to the perpetually iffy BPs, haha.) During feeding night this week, Q was dangling from a high branch in his enclosure, and didn't seem to want to come down anytime soon even after I waited another hour. So I offered his f/t mouse, and he just grabbed and devoured it in midair while still hanging from the branch like a piece of laundry. Zero qualms, zero hesitation.
    That's how my rat snakes feed also...mid-air, no problem. A bit more lively than "laundry" though, I must say... I love enthusiastic snakes.

    I had a large BCI for many years, I never used a hook to tap train, but was able to make clear my intentions ("to feed or not to feed, that is the question") with never a
    single bite...and she was WILD about eating too, it was hard to open her cage because she knew when I had food & she was ready to launch. I'd gotten her as a very
    bitey yearling that many others gave up on...don't underestimate what patience & making a snake feel "safe" will do, or how good it will make YOU feel for turning them
    around.

    The differences among snakes is part of the reason they're so addicting...they're not all the same.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

    RedRabbit (08-26-2019),richardhind1972 (08-24-2019)

  3. #12
    BPnet Senior Member dakski's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-07-2014
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    3,389
    Thanks
    4,920
    Thanked 5,894 Times in 2,604 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Images: 134

    Re: Requiem ... or just "Q" for now (2019 IMG Motley het CA T+)

    Here’s the link to the hook training thread.

    https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...highlight=Hook

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

    RedRabbit (08-26-2019)

  5. #13
    BPnet Senior Member EL-Ziggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-05-2014
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    3,512
    Thanks
    3,289
    Thanked 4,180 Times in 2,133 Posts

    Re: Requiem ... or just "Q" for now (2019 IMG Motley het CA T+)

    That is one beautiful critter!!
    2.2 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Bredl's Python, 1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BO,

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

    RedRabbit (08-26-2019)

  7. #14
    BPnet Veteran richardhind1972's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-31-2017
    Location
    derbyshire, uk
    Posts
    3,585
    Thanks
    8,149
    Thanked 5,192 Times in 2,412 Posts

    Re: Requiem ... or just "Q" for now (2019 IMG Motley het CA T+)

    Thanks, I'm glad medusa is a bit calmer now with her being so solid, she has a crazy grip, her feed response is just crazy like most boas , she's jumped out the viv for food so many times, when she was in her small viv she had branches and shelf that she always used and normally ate from there, I'm putting my motley to her this winter and should hopefully get some nice dark motleys, Img motleys are really black, with her being hypo she was really red as a baby, can only see her red tail a bit in natural sunlight.
    I think she will be fine once settled, only early days
    Look forward to her progression thread

    Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

  8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

    Bogertophis (08-24-2019),dakski (08-24-2019),RedRabbit (08-26-2019)

  9. #15
    Registered User RedRabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-04-2018
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    360
    Thanks
    250
    Thanked 557 Times in 240 Posts
    Images: 30

    Re: Requiem ... or just "Q" for now (2019 IMG Motley het CA T+)

    Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    That's how my rat snakes feed also...mid-air, no problem. A bit more lively than "laundry" though, I must say... I love enthusiastic snakes.

    I had a large BCI for many years, I never used a hook to tap train, but was able to make clear my intentions ("to feed or not to feed, that is the question") with never a
    single bite...and she was WILD about eating too, it was hard to open her cage because she knew when I had food & she was ready to launch. I'd gotten her as a very
    bitey yearling that many others gave up on...don't underestimate what patience & making a snake feel "safe" will do, or how good it will make YOU feel for turning them
    around.

    The differences among snakes is part of the reason they're so addicting...they're not all the same.
    Very well, maybe hanging laundry wasn't the best comparison, LOL! Unless the laundry was a long scarf in a lively breeze, perhaps.

    Since I have a snake hook on hand anyway, I'll give the tap training a try, but I do recall you mentioning in another thread about using a gentle spritz of water as another way to snap them out of food mode, and that sounds like a very reasonable alternative if the tap training isn't working out for whatever reason. In fact, my only real objection would just be because the tubs I'm using right now hold in humidity a bit TOO well; that extra spray of water might shoot the humidity up by an additional 10%, ha!
    Ball Pythons:
    2018 Cinnamon Enchi Ghost - Ignis ("Iggy")
    2018 Butter Mojave BEL - Ravus ("Rae")

    Boa Imperator:
    2018 Hypo Blood - Genesis ("Gen")
    2019 IMG Motley - Requiem ("Q")

    Iggy&Rae on Instagram:
    https://www.instagram.com/iggy_and_rae

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to RedRabbit For This Useful Post:

    Bogertophis (10-12-2019)

  11. #16
    Registered User RedRabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-04-2018
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    360
    Thanks
    250
    Thanked 557 Times in 240 Posts
    Images: 30
    Thanks for the link, dakski! I've given your steps a thorough read, and may start putting them into practice in the coming weeks.

    And thank you, El-Ziggy! I'm enamored with his looks, too. I'm pretty sure I was making the silliest googly-eyes at him when his breeder brought him out for me to examine; the breeder probably knew immediately that this snake was SOLD, haha!
    Ball Pythons:
    2018 Cinnamon Enchi Ghost - Ignis ("Iggy")
    2018 Butter Mojave BEL - Ravus ("Rae")

    Boa Imperator:
    2018 Hypo Blood - Genesis ("Gen")
    2019 IMG Motley - Requiem ("Q")

    Iggy&Rae on Instagram:
    https://www.instagram.com/iggy_and_rae

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to RedRabbit For This Useful Post:

    dakski (08-26-2019)

  13. #17
    Registered User RedRabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-04-2018
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    360
    Thanks
    250
    Thanked 557 Times in 240 Posts
    Images: 30

    Re: Requiem ... or just "Q" for now (2019 IMG Motley het CA T+)

    Quote Originally Posted by richardhind1972 View Post
    Thanks, I'm glad medusa is a bit calmer now with her being so solid, she has a crazy grip, her feed response is just crazy like most boas , she's jumped out the viv for food so many times, when she was in her small viv she had branches and shelf that she always used and normally ate from there, I'm putting my motley to her this winter and should hopefully get some nice dark motleys, Img motleys are really black, with her being hypo she was really red as a baby, can only see her red tail a bit in natural sunlight.
    I think she will be fine once settled, only early days
    Look forward to her progression thread

    Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
    "Crazy grip" is right! I'm still bemused by how much stronger the boas feel compared to the BPs, despite currently being only a quarter their size and thickness. My boas' current tubs have some vertical height, so I've actually been thinking about adding some magnetic ledges as "shelves" for them to climb and rest on, too.

    Excited to see the potential pairing with Medusa! Have I seen pictures of your motley male before?
    Ball Pythons:
    2018 Cinnamon Enchi Ghost - Ignis ("Iggy")
    2018 Butter Mojave BEL - Ravus ("Rae")

    Boa Imperator:
    2018 Hypo Blood - Genesis ("Gen")
    2019 IMG Motley - Requiem ("Q")

    Iggy&Rae on Instagram:
    https://www.instagram.com/iggy_and_rae

  14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RedRabbit For This Useful Post:

    dakski (08-26-2019),richardhind1972 (08-27-2019)

  15. #18
    BPnet Veteran richardhind1972's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-31-2017
    Location
    derbyshire, uk
    Posts
    3,585
    Thanks
    8,149
    Thanked 5,192 Times in 2,412 Posts

    Re: Requiem ... or just "Q" for now (2019 IMG Motley het CA T+)

    Quote Originally Posted by RedRabbit View Post
    "Crazy grip" is right! I'm still bemused by how much stronger the boas feel compared to the BPs, despite currently being only a quarter their size and thickness. My boas' current tubs have some vertical height, so I've actually been thinking about adding some magnetic ledges as "shelves" for them to climb and rest on, too.

    Excited to see the potential pairing with Medusa! Have I seen pictures of your motley male before?
    Yes boas are pretty strong that's for sure,
    My boas have always used there branches and shelves so I feel it's a good thing to have in there

    I've got a thread on red tail boa forum on my albino motley and my normal.my normal Motley was dad to my last two litters

    Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

  16. #19
    Registered User RedRabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-04-2018
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    360
    Thanks
    250
    Thanked 557 Times in 240 Posts
    Images: 30
    Q's first shed with me was on 9/9/19, and he decided to do so around midnight when I had work the next morning, so ... thanks for that, Q. Despite the late hour, I was excited enough to take some quick pics right after the fact, and if it was to be under the unflattering yellow glare of my kitchen lights, then so be it, haha.





    Just look at that cute little face, though.

    Q's iridescence is pretty spectacular when he's out in true sunlight, as in these pictures from last week. I didn't bring him out for long, since I'm in southern California and it's still a bit too hot to be safe, even in mid-October, but I couldn't help but coo and go "wow" every time I brought my hand into a patch of sunlight and Q started sparkling like a chandelier, haha.



    Ball Pythons:
    2018 Cinnamon Enchi Ghost - Ignis ("Iggy")
    2018 Butter Mojave BEL - Ravus ("Rae")

    Boa Imperator:
    2018 Hypo Blood - Genesis ("Gen")
    2019 IMG Motley - Requiem ("Q")

    Iggy&Rae on Instagram:
    https://www.instagram.com/iggy_and_rae

  17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RedRabbit For This Useful Post:

    Bogertophis (10-12-2019),cletus (10-13-2019),dakski (10-13-2019),Reinz (10-13-2019),richardhind1972 (10-13-2019)

  18. #20
    BPnet Veteran Bogertophis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-28-2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    11,886
    Thanks
    16,472
    Thanked 9,646 Times in 6,178 Posts
    That's something I loved about the BCI I had too...that iridescence. BTW, is "Q" short for "cute"? He sure is!
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

    richardhind1972 (10-13-2019)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1