Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,172

0 members and 3,172 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Re: Heat mat and substrate

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    Do NOT put the thermostat probe for an under enclosure heating element inside the cage EVER. It can be peed on, water spilled, etc causing dangerous temp fluctuations.
    From the bottom up ALWAYS in this order:
    Heat tape/UTH, thermostat probe, bottom of enclosure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I agree 100000%

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bodie (08-03-2019),Gio (08-01-2019),jmcrook (08-01-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ballpythonsrock2 View Post
    What many people (new) on here seem to fail to understand is a uth is not for heating the substrate. Your not the only poster who doesn't seem to understand that. A uth is for creating a hot spot on the bottom (on the glass) up to a temp of 90 degrees F. It will not substantially heat the substrate and is not really for that. It is only to create a warm spot. And the uth and probe should go on the outside. With the probe in between the outside bottom and the heat pad.

I could take the time to take many pictures but I hope you might check this out for yourself and other new posters too. When your little noodle has been in the hide for a while. If you lift the hide up to have a look you will almost 100 percent of the time when you move the snake see a bare spot it has been laying on. About every time I remove my ball out of it's enclosure there is a circle of bare glass/plastic which the snake has been laying on. The uth is to warm up that spot of glass/plastic and that is the only real reason to have it.

To warm up the substrate, ambient, and the over all enclosure you must either heat the entire area the snake is in, or use an additional heat source such as a heat bulb (night bulbs being the best IMO), ceramic heat emitter (che), or radiant heat panel (rhp) They are 2 different things with 2 different ways to heat them. One is a spot of heat and the other stuff provides enclosure heat.

Hope this helps you out. Like mentioned many, many, many people seem to not understand that even though we mention it many times on here. And not knowing the difference can lead to many snake burns if that glass/plastic temp is set too high in trying to do something which can not be done.(heat substrate by uth)
    The substrate will get a little heat from the uth but that is not what the uth is there for.
    You did the right thing in bringing the substrate depth to 1/2 an inch. Very good.

Thank you!!! Why don't 'they' explain that when you buy uth... ugh... Now it makes more sense to me!!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ballpythonsrock2 View Post

I could take the time to take many pictures but I hope you might check this out for yourself and other new posters too. When your little noodle has been in the hide for a while. If you lift the hide up to have a look you will almost 100 percent of the time when you move the snake see a bare spot it has been laying on. About every time I remove my ball out of it's enclosure there is a circle of bare glass/plastic which the snake has been laying on. The uth is to warm up that spot of glass/plastic and that is the only real reason to have it.
    Took a pic last night after removing my ball for home cleaning. I put it in my gallery. So if you wish you can have a look.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    That reptile rapture video is hardly a "reputable breeder".

He's talking about a thermoMETER and doesn't even mention a thermoSTAT in the video!!!! Literally doesn't mention a thermostat once in the video and it's literally the most important tool you can have...and is PART OF THE INSTALLATION PROCESS if installing a heat mat.

He talks about a temp gun for a quick sec, "they're kinda cool, we use them fairly often". It's also one of the most important tools a keeper can have.

That video is straight junk. So if you're going to share info, try to share quality info so others can learn.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Gio (08-01-2019),jmcrook (08-01-2019),Stewart_Reptiles (08-01-2019)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Finally got around to watch the video and this once again proves why people should not do research on Youtube nor regurgitate information that is incorrect, incomplete or not fully comprehended.

Here you have a pet store OWNER that does not even recommend a thermostat which I would expect better from a specialized pet store.

To add to this there is also some serious confusion between thermoMETER and thermoSTAT either on the owner’s part or the customer’s part.

ThermoMETER: Reads temperatures.

ThermoSTAT: Regulates temperatures, prevent over heating which can lead to burns, death and fire hazard.

And there is only ONE way to CORRECTLY install both as shown in the diagram posted above.
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 08-01-2019 at 04:22 PM.
    Deborah Stewart

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (08-01-2019),Gio (08-01-2019),jmcrook (08-01-2019),PitOnTheProwl (08-03-2019)

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ranulf View Post
    I follow the recommendations of a reputable breeder in my area and I use safe thermostats.

I am a nuclear worker who is extremely familiar with control and indication, and there have been no issues.

These are simply two different schools of thought. I have never dumped water on the thermostat, and even if I did, it would significantly cool the entire substrate until it evaporated. It wouldn't create dangerous temperatures, as that probe is reading the actual temperatures in the tank. When the temperatures increase, the thermostat will function as normal and turn off the heat. Substrate has generally good capillary action and water will spread throughout the bottom of the tank. The entire tank will be cooled.

Placing the thermostat probe between the mat and the glass creates a problem. Inefficient heat transfer, and inaccurate temperature readings in the tank. I do not like this, as I want uniform heat transfer at all points where my heat mat touches the glass.

Both methods seem to work for people, and its very much up to personal choice.

There are no absolutes in this, do what works for you

https://youtu.be/8Hq3RzDE_uE
    Well see, the problem here is....... you are talking yourself up really well. Many of us have DECADES of experience caring for these animals. You know, actual hands on, seen it happen kind of stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Everyone likes it but sadly still there are some that cannot comprehend it.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (08-03-2019),jmcrook (08-03-2019),pretends2bnormal (08-03-2019)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123