Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,396

1 members and 3,395 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Clown/OG Project and questions.

Hi everyone! I recently made the decision to put our Pastel Leopard Vanilla Clown male to our two Orange Ghost girls. One being a Vanilla Orange Ghost and the other being a Pastel Enchi Orange Ghost. Instead of finding a nice OG male. This will be my first year breeding and have two other girls that are breeding as well. Bamboo Pewter x Cinnamon black back and OG Het GStripe poss. het Caramel x GStripe Het OG poss. het caramel. All that being said .. what is the easiest and safest way to get some visual clown/ghost babies? I hear bringing young back to parents very often and is okay as long as there is "new blood" put into the project within a few generations. What are everyone opinions on this matter? Would it be "safer" to try and just buy a visual clown/hypo for any of the girls I produce down the road. Would love to get any feed back on the project itself as well .

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Double recessive projects are usually done by breeding sibling to sibling. It can be done safely as cold blooded animal breeding and warm blooded animal breeding is very different.

Now should you bring new blood in when you can? Absolutely but you can build up your base by doing what everyone else does.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Re: Clown/OG Project and questions.

Exactly what I was thinking just wanted some more input. Definitely appreciate the reply .

Thanks
    Thanked 1,186 Times in 695 Posts
    I agree, sibling to sibling is the best bet for double recessive projects. At least that's how I've decided to go for my double recessive projects based on the research I've done. I plan to go visual to visual, holdback one male and put him to all his sibling sisters. Of course the more females you get from that first visual x visual clutch, the better your odds will be of hitting the double recessive with one of the next generation pairings.

Your project sounds really good, it sounds like you have some really nice animals to make the project super exciting and hopefully if the odds gods are with you, super rewarding as well

I look forward to seeing how your projects progress, I wish you the best of luck!

Thanks

Thank you ! I am super excited to be able to work on a project like this.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart_Reptiles View Post
    It can be done safely as cold blooded animal breeding and warm blooded animal breeding is very different.
    This is a fallacy that was put forth back in the early days of the hobby by larger breeders to justify the action. With rare exception, there is no significance difference between cold-blooded and warm-blooded animals when it comes to inbreeding

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart_Reptiles View Post
    Now should you bring new blood in when you can? Absolutely but you can build up your base by doing what everyone else does.
    This is sound advice. For a generation or two it is not particularly detrimental, but ultimately your goal should be to outcross to maintain diversity
    actagggcagtgatatcctagcattgatggtacatggcaaattaacctcatgat