Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,364

3 members and 3,361 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Help with Teaching SO

Ok guys I will follow the advice and start working with my so on the weekends until I think she is ready. As far as holding them and taking them out it isnt stressful, or bothersome for my SO. She just doesn't dislike snakes, but at the same time she doesnt share my enthusiasm for them. She is thinking about getting a bearded dragon.

She holds them a few times a week. This isnt a situation where she has had no contact with them. But I should be there to teach her how to remove them properly. Again thanks guys for the great advice.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    OK, so I spoke to my GF about what we said. She made it clear that she is not nervous around the snakes, nor does holding them stress her out. She feels that after learning how to take the snakes out that she would be able to hold them. She also said that she would like to build a relationship with them now before they get large so that when they are bigger she can help me when needed. So she actually wants to hold them and interact with them when I am gone. How would you proceed, and what should I do?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,830 Times in 11,847 Posts
    So go for it then. It's totally up to you & her. Remind her the signs of a snake that is distressed or uncomfortable (also that in such warm weather, they can
    more easily over-heat since our hands are 98.6* too). I suspect since she's interested that she'll be fine, but I'd want HER to take out a snake on her own as
    a "demo" first, while you're still home & observing, & then go from there.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (07-19-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    So go for it then. It's totally up to you & her. Remind her the signs of a snake that is distressed or uncomfortable (also that in such warm weather, they can
    more easily over-heat since our hands are 98.6* too). I suspect since she's interested that she'll be fine, but I'd want HER to take out a snake on her own as
    a "demo" first, while you're still home & observing, & then go from there.
    Agreed 100%.

If your SO is growing comfortable and showing an interest let her lead the way. I think letting her get the snakes out of the enclosure on her own will be a huge step, as long as you're there to guide her.

Sounds like you're both doing really well with the situation, keep up the good work!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    The first week of my SO taking care of Sangre and Floyd went well. Their humidity was a bit high, so I showed her how to test the humidity before spraying. I also explained how to feed, and the differences in feeding habits between them both. I spent time showing her how to heat up the rat properly for the blood python, and how to check the proper temp of the rat.

So my living situation has changed, but my SO said that she would be happy to house my snakes until we get a place together. I just haven't been able to land a job in her city. So I've been slowly showing her everything I can think of when it comes to husbandry. At least I was able to get Sangre to eat in his enclosure, which will make feeding much safer and easier for her. Overall I am impressed with how she is doing. I think next week I will have her feed both snakes so she can get a hang for it. I will make sure she uses tongs for feeding the boa, as he likes to strike his prey. The blood python is lazy, he just slithers up to it and eats it. I also lost my phone today, so I won't be online as much.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sur3fir3 For This Useful Post:

NewmanLovesSnakes (07-29-2019)

Thanks
    Glad to hear it's going well (your SO with the snakes)...now good luck with the job situation too. Hang in there...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

sur3fir3 (07-29-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    thanks! yea I'm real happy its just too bad that I cant keep them with me where I am living now. At least my SO is helping me out otherwise I would have to find someone to take them. Her doing this for me means more than just about anything else she could do for me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sur3fir3 View Post
    thanks! yea I'm real happy its just too bad that I cant keep them with me where I am living now. At least my SO is helping me out otherwise I would have to find someone to take them. Her doing this for me means more than just about anything else she could do for me.
    I agree...that's a really "good sign" of a true friend. Hope things continue to work out for you...this is a good "test".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12