Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,328

2 members and 3,326 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: First time Iguana owner...

http://www.aqualandpetsplus.com/

Read the Iggy stuff on that page for more information. I am finding it very useful myself. Stuff there for almost every animal people keep as pets. They ahve good onformation there except for the heat rock part. they even have a part on training Iggys. I would take the time to read through all thier Iggy pages if you are considering keeping it. I just spent an hour there and greatly increased my knowledge of them.

Thanks

I have to chime in and give my 2 cents, I would try and exchange the iggy for a bearded dragon, It will probably cost you more money but they are much better with kids, I have three kids ranging from 15 to 9 years old we have had a bearded for 5 years now and I can't say enough good about her she is very very fiesty getting her out of her cage but calms right down and enjoys hanging out with the family. I personally can't stand iggy's after being whipped several times by a rescued 4' male I am all done with those hatefull reptiles.

Thanks

Thanks to everyone...I am sort of at a loss here. I feel really dumb and regret not sticking to my gut on this. See, I have always believed that some animals do NOT make good pets(wild animals). However, my son has been persistant about wanting a lizard. He has lots of books about them and loves going to the pet store to look at them. Now I come to find out I have purchased a potentially "dangerous" animal. Maybe that is why I am up at 3:00am. I am worried about this cute little lizard becoming a minature T-rex!!!!

We have had the Iguana for about 2 weeks. Does anyone think the store would make an exchange??? I have no idea where my reciept is. They told us there was a 48 hour guarantee, but that was it. They didn't mention making an exchange. Iggy's here are running about $30.00. I don't remember seeing any bearded dragons where we got this one.

We handle him a lot!! He isn't mine, but I get him out during the day, while my son is at school. I carry him around the house while I do things. We sit at night and hold him, and we watch TV. The only time he is a little freaky is getting him out of the cage. He tries to run away. Once you pick him up and hold him he is fine.

AGAIN, thanks for all your help....

Thanks

OH my gosh!!! I just went to the site you suggested. Very helpful by the way. I am in shock!!! How on earth can the cute little thing in my sons room grow up into what I saw on the page??? IMHO, there is really nothing cute about a full grown IGUANA!!! Sorry, I don't want to offend anyone. Oh what have I done???????

Quote Originally Posted by lars5277
    http://www.aqualandpetsplus.com/

Read the Iggy stuff on that page for more information. I am finding it very useful myself. Stuff there for almost every animal people keep as pets. They ahve good onformation there except for the heat rock part. they even have a part on training Iggys. I would take the time to read through all thier Iggy pages if you are considering keeping it. I just spent an hour there and greatly increased my knowledge of them.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

My boyfriend got a baby iguana because it was cheap and cute about a year and a half ago. Despite our best efforts, he was a sick baby and didn't make it. I too was very upset by his impulse buy and knew that we could most likely not properly care for it as an adult (we're in a one bedroom apartment).

Needless to say, I didn't speak to him for days I was so angry about the whole thing and his lack of reasearch. After Zues went on to Iggy heaven, I started researching ball pythons, thoroughly cleaned the enclosure with Chlorox and water (three times) and set it up in preparation for my baby ball python.

I have to say that Kashmire (my ball) is 100 times easier to care for than Zeus was and I know he's not going to become a super large snake. He only has to be fed once a week, is a clean animal and is a joy to share my home with!

Sorry to hear your husband is closed off to snakes, balls truly do make lovely pets!

As far as bearded dragons, if you scroll down to the bottom to the next to the last forum, one of our members has baby beardies for sale right now.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rabernet
    My boyfriend got a baby iguana because it was cheap and cute about a year and a half ago. Despite our best efforts, he was a sick baby and didn't make it. I too was very upset by his impulse buy and knew that we could most likely not properly care for it as an adult (we're in a one bedroom apartment).

Needless to say, I didn't speak to him for days I was so angry about the whole thing and his lack of reasearch. After Zues went on to Iggy heaven, I started researching ball pythons, thoroughly cleaned the enclosure with Chlorox and water (three times) and set it up in preparation for my baby ball python.

I have to say that Kashmire (my ball) is 100 times easier to care for than Zeus was and I know he's not going to become a super large snake. He only has to be fed once a week, is a clean animal and is a joy to share my home with!

Sorry to hear your husband is closed off to snakes, balls truly do make lovely pets!

As far as bearded dragons, if you scroll down to the bottom to the next to the last forum, one of our members has baby beardies for sale right now.
    Well people have fears, even though he won't admit it I think my husband really has a phobia of snakes. My son would love a snake!!!!

Thanks for sharing your story and the tip on the bearded dragons. Any tips on getting rid of the Iguana if the pet store won't take it back. I will sell him really cheap........................

I know I sound negative, but NOT one person has anything nice to say about Iguanas. I feel uneasy about keeping this Iguana.

Thanks....

Thanks

Its not that no one has anything nice to say about them, we're just trying to convince you that without the proper research prior to getting one, they can be a handful to own. Good luck in making your decision!
    Ken

Thanks

You will have a VERY hard time selling this iguana. Like I said, there are hundreds of ig rescues with thousands of unwanted iguanas.

If you take that ig to the pet store with the plan of trading it in to buy a more expensive animal, I don't see why they won't take it back.

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Thanks

If they wont take it back to refund your money or trade, then my advice is drop it on the counter and run like hell. I told a kid that a couple weeks ago when I saw him holding one at a pet store. These animals are very challenging. Although it sounds like you family has done a decent job socializing the animal if you are holding it that much. I am not saying no one should own one. I am saying they require a great deal of attention if you wish to be successful at it. Sometimes no matter how much of the right thing you do the thing is still going to be a T-REX.

Thanks

One thing I don't think you've mentioned is the age of the child that this iggy was bought as a pet for. I would phone the pet store or go in to see them w/o your child and have a talk with the manager. Explain that you feel that you were not properly informed that this was not an appropriate pet for your child and that you would like to exchange it for store credit. They most likely will not be handing you back cash but a store credit is good for bedding, live feeders, etc. You may need to get firm to get some satisfaction.

You might want to have some fun with your child doing research on what would be a more appropriate lizard or even the possibility of an appropriate snake if Dad would be comfy with that, then find a good breeder and purchase one. That step can be a lot of fun (going through that with my 11 year old daughter as we wait for the arrival of her first "personal" snake).

There's so much experience on this forum in all types of snakes and lizards that I'm sure any of your questions about choices, care, eventual mature size, husbandry, caging options, etc. can be answered more so than most pet stores. You'll likely save a lot of cash too as most pet stores will sell you a lot of stuff that is useless or even potentially dangerous (hot rocks!).

Best of luck and please keep us up to date. I know your son may be disappointed about the iggy but it's also a learning step about responsible pet ownership and making the right choices for yourself and your reptile.

Btw don't feel bad. We had one lady come to this forum who had been sold a baby burmese python for a pet for her 12 year old son. Definitely was a snake they weren't aware would become a giant and she was able to get her pet store to sort it out and take back that snake.

~~Jo~~
    ~~Joanna~~

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast