Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,415

2 members and 3,413 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

My First Ball Python

Hi everyone, I just got my first Ball Python about three weeks ago. His name is Sherlock. He is very active and has a great temperment. He actually just went through his first shed, it was a stuck shed so I had to help. He has an awesome home and he eats really well for me. I am posting because I know I should up the size of his mice but I didn't know how big I should go. I always heard that it was the size of the biggest width of the body but the girl at petsmart said no bigger than his head. Regardless, she insisted I start out with pinkies for him. The day after I got him was his normal feed day and he ate a pinkie, the next week he ate another pinkie, the next week (two days ago) I fed him two pinkies and he ate them fine. He shed right before his last feed and I know I should upgrade him from pinkies but I'm not to familiar with the sizes. Should I go to fuzzies or something even larger? I m posting a link to pictures. Thank you! https://postimg.cc/gallery/2vo9qj088/

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kotaboy For This Useful Post:

Bodie (06-30-2019)

Thanks

Re: My First Ball Python

First and foremost.....Welcome to the family. The girl told you wrong. You definitively need to feed him bigger prey. You said so yourself.....feed him the same as his girth. Pinky will not do that. I am a numbers guy so 10 to 15 percent his weight. I weigh my BP and also his food. Others just go by size (girth) of their noodle. Either way pinkies are to small. Out of the egg they are at least eating hoppers.
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa (Northern)
    0.1 Green Tree Python (Aru)
    0.1 Pueblan Milk Snake
    1.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake
    1.0 Pied Het Lavender Albino Ball Python
    1.0 Yellow Phase Eastern Hognose

Thanks

Thank you! I just weighed him he's 80 grams, do you think he should be getting fuzzies?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kotaboy View Post
    Hi everyone, I just got my first Ball Python about three weeks ago. His name is Sherlock. He is very active and has a great temperment. He actually just went through his first shed, it was a stuck shed so I had to help. He has an awesome home and he eats really well for me. I am posting because I know I should up the size of his mice but I didn't know how big I should go. I always heard that it was the size of the biggest width of the body but the girl at petsmart said no bigger than his head. Regardless, she insisted I start out with pinkies for him. The day after I got him was his normal feed day and he ate a pinkie, the next week he ate another pinkie, the next week (two days ago) I fed him two pinkies and he ate them fine. He shed right before his last feed and I know I should upgrade him from pinkies but I'm not to familiar with the sizes. Should I go to fuzzies or something even larger? I m posting a link to pictures. Thank you! https://postimg.cc/gallery/2vo9qj088/
    Hello! Well, they eat fuzzys pretty much right out of the egg, so you should definitely be feeding bigger. The rule of thumb is to feed them prey 10 to 15% of their body weight. Here is a chart to help you with the weight...good luck!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to indygunnerguy For This Useful Post:

Bodie (06-30-2019)

Thanks

Alright so small/weaned mouse? Thank you so much!

Thanks

Fuzzies are still to small. Look for hoppers (8 to 12 grams of weight). Maybe even small (weaned) mice.
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa (Northern)
    0.1 Green Tree Python (Aru)
    0.1 Pueblan Milk Snake
    1.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake
    1.0 Pied Het Lavender Albino Ball Python
    1.0 Yellow Phase Eastern Hognose