Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,175

1 members and 3,174 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

My beautiful girl has escaped – could an adult BP climb up a chimney?

Hi everyone,

My beautiful girl very swiftly made a dash from her vivarium two nights ago while I was feeding her in the dark. I didn’t see her escape and didn’t realise until the following day she was missing. I’ve been tearing the house apart and I’m absolutely beside myself as there’s no sign of her. There are only two possible cavities I have found that could have led her out of the house.

A few feet away from her viv is a fireplace which she has shown interest in before when exploring, likely because it’s dark. We don’t light it in summer. Is it feasible she could have climbed up it? I haven’t observed her to be an active climber like my baby BP and the chimney is full of cobwebs which appear to be undisturbed. But at this point I’m not ruling anything out. I just want to find her safe.

In the room next door, the sideboard is slightly loose, there is a small gap but not big enough for her body width to fit through. I’ve never seen her squeeze down to what would have to be a half of her size but is that possible? Behind the sideboard is a hole in the floor that leads to the house foundation. At first glance, this hole is also too small but the floorboard can easily be pushed to make it big enough. However, there are also undisturbed cobwebs here and no trail in the dust so it seems unlikely.

The chimney is closest to her enclosure, I’m wondering if it’s worth me getting pest control to have a look in it. I’m absolutely distraught and just want her to be found and back home in her viv. We checked under and on top of all of the furniture and appliances, as well as in bags, under blankets etc. Thanks so much for any thoughts, suggestions, tips, success stories, prayers! Anything. I’m heartbroken.

Thanks
    I don't want to sugar coat any of this so here it goes. The chances of the snake crawling up a fireplace are slim to none. There is just nothing for them to grip onto during a vertical ascent and they are not strong climbers to begin with. As far as the spaces near the floor... More than likely she could have squeezed into what you think looks smaller than her.. They are strong and will push there way in and around stuff more easily than one would think.

I would say your best chance of finding her (if she is confined to the house) will be at nights during her normal activity period. Outside of tearing the floors and everything up during the day that will be your best bet.

In closing, ALWAYS make sure there is some type of quality control measure attached to the animals enclosure that assures the animal can not escape. Whenever you think it is safe take one more step to ensure nothing can escape.

Good luck..

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Moose84 For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (06-24-2019)

Thanks

Re: My beautiful girl has escaped – could an adult BP climb up a chimney?

Quote Originally Posted by Moose84 View Post
    I don't want to sugar coat any of this so here it goes. The chances of the snake crawling up a fireplace are slim to none. There is just nothing for them to grip onto during a vertical ascent and they are not strong climbers to begin with. As far as the spaces near the floor... More than likely she could have squeezed into what you think looks smaller than her.. They are strong and will push there way in and around stuff more easily than one would think.

I would say your best chance of finding her (if she is confined to the house) will be at nights during her normal activity period. Outside of tearing the floors and everything up during the day that will be your best bet.

In closing, ALWAYS make sure there is some type of quality control measure attached to the animals enclosure that assures the animal can not escape. Whenever you think it is safe take one more step to ensure nothing can escape.

Good luck..
    Thank you, I haven’t been able to find anywhere she could have gotten outside but now panicking she could have squeezed into the foundation of the house. In which case, getting her out is going to be near impossible I can only hope she’s found somewhere sneaky and makes an appearance.

Her viv has an external locking mechanism which I applied as usual before I went to bed. She must have slipped out at a moment the door was open during feeding as I was doing it in the dark. I couldn’t feel more horrible about it.

Thanks
    If you've already checked everywhere you think a snake could go and haven't found her yet then maybe baiting will work. I've heard of using a rat (or whatever your snake eats) to lure it out to come eat. If you can't stay and watch the whole time you can put the rat in something like a minnow trap (assuming the snake fits in the hole, not sure if minnow traps with a slightly bigger hole exists as a ball python might get stuck trying to get in, otherwise you'd have to custom build it if your good at things like that). Put the trap near her enclosure and against a wall as snakes usually follow the walls while they explore. Hopefully the smell of her prey will entice her to come out and eat or at least come out of hiding to be put back in her enclosure. Good luck on finding your cute little girl, I'd die if my snake got out so I can imagine the panic and fear you must be feeling. Just to let you know a snake can usually fit through anything their head can fit through.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Valyndris View Post
    If you've already checked everywhere you think a snake could go and haven't found her yet then maybe baiting will work. I've heard of using a rat (or whatever your snake eats) to lure it out to come eat. If you can't stay and watch the whole time you can put the rat in something like a minnow trap (assuming the snake fits in the hole, not sure if minnow traps with a slightly bigger hole exists as a ball python might get stuck trying to get in, otherwise you'd have to custom build it if your good at things like that). Put the trap near her enclosure and against a wall as snakes usually follow the walls while they explore. Hopefully the smell of her prey will entice her to come out and eat or at least come out of hiding to be put back in her enclosure. Good luck on finding your cute little girl, I'd die if my snake got out so I can imagine the panic and fear you must be feeling. Just to let you know a snake can usually fit through anything their head can fit through.
    I feel like death honestly Hmm, she could technically have fit through the two small holes on that principle but there is no trail in quite heavy dust and the cobwebs are still in place which makes it seem otherwise. I made the hole bigger and stuck my hand down there with a camera, can’t see anything.

I left a rat out last night, the problem is she hasn’t eaten at all for me yet (I’ve had her a month) so I’m not sure she would be enticed by that. I’ll keep trying, it seems more likely than not that she’s in the house but in a small space we haven’t thought to look. Thanks so much for your help and well wishes.
    Last edited by calislytherin; 06-24-2019 at 09:06 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,829 Times in 11,846 Posts
    Probably hiding in stuff...a snake on the floor looking up under beds/furniture will enter up into any tears of the linings (if there are any), also love to hide in
    crevices of couch cushions, piles of laundry, closets full of things...try hard to "think like a snake" & keep looking!

P.S. when we talk about feeding snakes in the "dark" we mean dim lighting...you need to see what's going on. Good luck!
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    I've made the mistake of feeding Crowley in the dark, he struck the rat and normally eats when he strikes but that time he decided to sneak off and I didn't see it happen as it was too dark, you are not the only one to make this mistake, I was lucky and found him in his stuff nearby as he had only sneaked off for less than 5 minutes. I feed him in a tub near his tank and he ended up climbing out and going in the stuff that's under his desk. I hope you find your girl soon.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Probably hiding in stuff...a snake on the floor looking up under beds/furniture will enter up into any tears of the linings (if there are any), also love to hide in
    crevices of couch cushions, piles of laundry, closets full of things...try hard to "think like a snake" & keep looking!

P.S. when we talk about feeding snakes in the "dark" we mean dim lighting...you need to see what's going on. Good luck!
    Noted! I won’t be making that mistake again. This has been one of the worst experiences I can think of. It feels like I’ve looked everywhere but I haven’t given up.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to calislytherin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-24-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Valyndris View Post
    I've made the mistake of feeding Crowley in the dark, he struck the rat and normally eats when he strikes but that time he decided to sneak off and I didn't see it happen as it was too dark, you are not the only one to make this mistake, I was lucky and found him in his stuff nearby as he had only sneaked off for less than 5 minutes. I feed him in a tub near his tank and he ended up climbing out and going in the stuff that's under his desk. I hope you find your girl soon.
    Oh, what a gorgeous boy! Reassuring to know I’m not the only one but I’m frustrated it went a whole day unnoticed. I thought she had retreated into her rock. Thank you for the well wishes, I’m still looking and praying.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to calislytherin For This Useful Post:

Valyndris (06-24-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,829 Times in 11,846 Posts
    Remember that BPs love to squeeze into tight places to "feel secure"....that can even mean crawling into the back of an appliance, or into a shoe/boot.
    Don't give up...
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast