Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,137

2 members and 3,135 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg

Thread: Hides/bowls

Thanks

Hides/bowls

Curious where does everyone get their hides and bowls from? Ordered a T8 and want to get all new and fresh when it arrives, plus I think the hide needs a upgrade. Also when it comes to hides how do you determine what size? Just get the biggest and be good to go? Far as bowls I am currently using a big dog plastic bowls, he can coil up in it (rarely does) or drink from it perfectly fine.

When it comes to have two hides, 1 on hot end and the other on cool side, I’ve seen people say they will up the humidity in the hot end to help the shed process, what is the recommended process of doing this and is it something you do always or when you see a shed about to happen?

I am looking at the Accurite thermometers, what model is the one recommended if you don’t mind me asking? This will be used only for 1 cage.

Thanks everyone! Can’t wait to get this T8 in!

Thanks

Re: Hides/bowls

Quote Originally Posted by EWC88 View Post
    Curious where does everyone get their hides and bowls from?Pangea Reptiles online has always been for me.. Ordered a T8 and want to get all new and fresh when it arrives, plus I think the hide needs a upgrade. Also when it comes to hides how do you determine what size? Just get the biggest and be good to go? Unfortunately no.. In my experience if the hide is too large they won't use it. The hides pangea has come in a ton of sizes.. I recommend getting a couple to choose from.. They are fairly cheap.. Far as bowls I am currently using a big dog plastic bowls, he can coil up in it (rarely does) or drink from it perfectly fine.

When it comes to have two hides, 1 on hot end and the other on cool side, I’ve seen people say they will up the humidity in the hot end to help the shed process, what is the recommended process of doing this and is it something you do always or when you see a shed about to happen. When the one snake that I keep in an aquarium goes into shed I simply wet a towel once a day and lay it over about 60% of the mesh lid until he sheds.. I have never had anything other than a 1 piece shed.. Works great..

I am looking at the Accurite thermometers, what model is the one recommended if you don’t mind me asking? This will be used only for 1 cage.

Thanks everyone! Can’t wait to get this T8 in!

Thanks
    Thanked 19,829 Times in 11,846 Posts
    My most recently-bought hides came from Reptile Basics. I estimate the size: obviously you don't want to replace all the time when they grow a little, & since
    BPs prefer a snug-feel, you can stuff some paper towels or something inside to make them feel "cozy" while the snake grows into them.

I prefer glass bowls (because cheap plastics leach chemicals into water) & I often get some nice flat-bottomed heavy (tip resistant) bowls from thrift stores.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Bought all my hides at Reptile Basics and LLL Reptiles. The shows, if you, have them also. Fairly cheap.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    0.1 Mexican Black Kingsnake (Tynee)
    0.1 BEL Ball (Luna)
    0.1 Sunglow Boa (Pippi Longsnake)
    0.1 Woma Python (Uma)

WANT LIST
    - Mangrove Snake

- Russian Rat Snake
    - Eastern Indigo
    - Black Milk Snake
    - False Water Cobra
    - Rhino Rat Snake
    - Thai Bamboo Rat Snake
    - Western Hognose
    - Kenyan Sand Boa

Thanks

Reptile Basics hides are great. I like to use the large ceramic bowls that are tan on the outside and blue on the inside. Check PetCo or other normal pet retailers for them.

As for the Acurite I just did a write up on how to modify them so you dont need to put them inside the cage. Should be just a few threads below this one. They are around $9
    Last edited by GoatBoy; 06-21-2019 at 09:37 PM.

Thanks
    I will check out those hides, and also consider the glass bowls, would ceramic be ok?

Goatboy- I will check that thread out!

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

I like the RBI hides and the Van Ness Heavyweight Bowls.

*.* TNTC