Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,175

0 members and 3,175 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Feeding help needed BADLY

I feel you may be right about them not being beginner snakes I as well wish they would stop so that no one else has to go through so much stress .

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ciaran_songs For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-28-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Ok, try to relax. If you listen to us we'll get you and your snake on track.

Unfortunately, taking him out of his enclosure and force feeding may have been a step backwards.

I think what you really need to do is switch to a much smaller enclosure. Your snake likely feels scared and vulnerable in such a large enclosure.

BPs rely very heavily on feeling safe and secure. When they're small they feel extremely vulnerable since almost anything can be a predator to them. So trying to provide them with an enclosure they feel safe in is one of the most important parts of keeping snakes. If the snake doesn't feel safe and secure it will choose not to eat so that it can escape more easily if it needs to. Especially juvenile BPs. They can be extremely finicky.

There are two major reasons a snake will not eat.
    1) husbandry is off.
    2) they don't feel safe and secure.

I think that switching to a smaller enclosure will help you to improve husbandry as well as provide the security the snake craves.

Switching to an enclosure that provides security will also make the snake less defensive. In that large enclosure your snake likely feels like everything, including you, is a predator. So providing security should help to relax the snake.

I don't usually think it's necessary with BPs, but in your case it may be worth hook training. It may help both of you to feel more comfortable with each other and to trust one another.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Ciaran_songs (06-28-2019)

Thanks

I have gotten him checked out no internal diseases thankfully, I don't remember if I mentioned that or not.
    Last edited by Ciaran_songs; 06-28-2019 at 07:16 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ciaran_songs For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-28-2019)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran_songs View Post
    I feel you may be right about them not being beginner snakes I as well wish they would stop so that no one else has to go through so much stress .
    I have to completely disagree. If enough research is done BPs are extremely easy to keep.

It's not too late to turn things around. But you're going to need to learn from the right sources.
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 06-28-2019 at 07:19 PM.

Thanks

I will have to save up paycheck's for a smaller tank then should not take long though, what size should I get?

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran_songs View Post
    I will have to save up paycheck's for a smaller tank then should not take long though, what size should I get?
    I forget if it was mentioned earlier...

How old is the snake and how much does it weigh?

Thanks

Not sure on weight but he is about 8-10 months old I know that's a big gap but they never told me when I got him but its been about 7 months since I got him I think maybe a bit more.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,829 Times in 11,846 Posts
    Force feeding is not the same thing as "getting him to eat" and it's bad for him long-term...it adds a lot of stress to his life and does nothing to help him learn to
    take food the right way. This is not the way forward, and can you blame him for trying to bite? Essentially he feels he has been "attacked" by humans (when he
    was force-fed!). A snake must be relaxed and feel safe & secure in their homes, or they won't eat. A snake that is striking when you get near his cage is scared
    half to death and does NOT feel secure enough to eat or thrive. And yes, they CAN hurt their jaw when they strike & hit the glass.

Your cage is way too big, which is why it's hard to keep warm enough also. His ambient temperature in cage should be higher than 80*, more like 86*...that's
    another reason he may be refusing food. He may be too cold...maybe not all the time, but his cage temps. should not be fluctuating so much. Snakes naturally
    refuse food when they sense (by temperatures) that the seasons are changing...this is so they don't get stuck with food spoiling in their stomach...they cannot
    digest when it's too cold- it will make them sick & can even kill them. I'm not saying your cage is cold enough to do that, just trying to explain their behavior...
    the reason snakes instinctively refuse food if they feel a chill in the air.

You should absolutely NOT be giving him distilled water to drink! Please give him normal tap water or bottled DRINKING water like humans drink...the distilled
    water is missing essential electrolytes & that can also make him sick, or worse. Scrubbing his bowl every couple days sounds very devoted, but is probably adding
    to the stress he's feeling.

So far, you've got most everything wrong that this snake needs to survive & thrive. The solution is NOT taking him to be force-fed...& if he's defensively striking
    at you all the time, surely you must realize that he is miserable with you right now? All these issues need to be fixed fairly quickly, for him to stay alive & well.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Ciaran_songs (06-28-2019),Craiga 01453 (06-28-2019)

Thanks

Many people have told me that distilled water is very healthy for the snake and that tap water is not I am confused? Thanks for the temperature advice I will get that sorted immediately. I was told when I bought the snake by someone who was apparently a "Snake professional" that the bigger the tank the better although he was probably just trying to get me to spend more now that I think about it.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Ciaran_songs For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-28-2019)

Thanks

As for the force feeding I won't take him anymore I was stressed and I had no where to go so I went to the feed store and that's what she suggested we do after a couple of hours of trying I did not know it was really bad for them I am really sorry. Edit: He was also always trying to strike before force feeding though as well.
    Last edited by Ciaran_songs; 06-28-2019 at 07:41 PM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast