Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,411

4 members and 3,407 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Need support and advice on taming/handling ball python.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I wouldn't worry...it sounds like you're doing OK with yours, but when BPs get more mature (the OP's is a 3 year old) they tend to do better eating larger prey, which
    takes longer to digest, so the time between feedings is longer, depending on exact sizes of prey. Also, I think you'll find at some point a BP that is several years old will
    go on more fasts when food is offered too much or too often. It's very hard to help online when we aren't SEEING the actual snake, & from the behavior described by the
    OP, I just suspected that his 3 year old BP is not only scared of handling, but that he's also hungry for larger prey (rats not mice). Just my guess, & I could be wrong.
    Appreciate the clarification.... And just for the record (if it changes your response), my BP is close to 3 years old and weights about 650 grams. I've been feeding him small rats around 50-60 grams and he's notorious for only eating about once a month. So I just thought I'd take advantage of the weekly offerings since he's finally showing some interest.
    1.0 Motley IMG BCI - (Venom)

1.0 Super Ghost BCI - (Phantom)

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,829 Times in 11,846 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ckuhn003 View Post
    Appreciate the clarification.... And just for the record (if it changes your response), my BP is close to 3 years old and weights about 650 grams. I've been feeding him small rats around 50-60 grams and he's notorious for only eating about once a month. So I just thought I'd take advantage of the weekly offerings since he's finally showing some interest.
    Really should be in a separate thread...don't want to confuse the OP...nor should we make assumptions that the snakes are the "same" even if the same age.
    The OP is feeding mice, not rats.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 06-19-2019 at 04:34 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Hi,

Im basically going to repeat what others have said.

1. Your snake is defensive not aggressive. Is there anything you are doing or anything in their environment causing the snake stress? Loud music, lights on at night, is the tank in a place with a lot of traffic? Try moving the snake to a quite room where they will feel secure. Is the heat and humidity correct.

2. You need to approach the snake with more confidence. If you are nervous or jerking your hand so you don't get bit, the snake may sense this odd behaviour.

3. Someone mentioned placing the snake on your lap and covering with a towel. This is a good idea. Try to get the snake out calmly using a hook and try this. Once a week is enough to begin with and gradually increase handling.

4. People have mentioned problems with the food you are feeding. I don't think they can accurately assume this without knowing the weight and girth of the snake (maybe i missed this). Feeding an appropriately sized mouse/rat every 7-10 days is best.

For more information check out: http://www.reptilerange.com/ball-python-care-sheet/

Any questions on the above, I will be happy to answer.

Liam.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mechliam For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-19-2019),dr del (06-21-2019)

Thanks
    Yeah, a 3 yr old BP needs a small rat every 10-14 days. My 2 yr old male just took a swipe at me when I opened his enclosure and he had a weaned rat 3 nights ago. It was just a feeding response in my case.

The video bcr229 posted is excellent for defensive snakes. You can wear gloves if you’re still not comfortable handling him.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12