Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,431

5 members and 3,426 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: How do you feed live?

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    You were thought wrong 20 years ago but that would be common sense really it's not better it's actually worse, worse for the snake worse for the feeder and worse for the image you project as a reptile keeper that reflect on ALL OF US.

So feeding a snake at home with no one around reflects on everyone else? Look I was asking a question to get an answer, not to get told I am reflecting bad on everyone. I don't feed my snake in public, nor do I have anyone around when I feed him. If it was common sense I would have figured it out. What is common sense for you may not be for others. I can see why people are afraid to ask questions.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sur3fir3 View Post
    So feeding a snake at home with no one around reflects on everyone else? Look I was asking a question to get an answer, not to get told I am reflecting bad on everyone. I don't feed my snake in public, nor do I have anyone around when I feed him. If it was common sense I would have figured it out. What is common sense for you may not be for others. I can see why people are afraid to ask questions.
    This is a public forum do you think animal activists do not read public forums where YOU just described how you feed your snakes and worse see no issue with it????

Obviously common sense would be not to do what you do to a feeder animal if you don't see what you do is wrong you are seriously are lacking common sense.
    Deborah Stewart

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Alicia (06-18-2019),Bogertophis (06-18-2019),MissterDog (06-18-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I asked for help on what to do. If i thought i was doing it right 100% I wouldn't have asked. I asked because I wanted to see if anyone else had a better method. If I said ok this is how I feed my snakes, and I'm right, I could see your point. But I was asking for help and information on a different method. I did not say My way is right.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sur3fir3 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-18-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts

First off, I have no issue with rodents. I have done it this way because I was taught that knocking out the rodent is better for both the reptile and the rodent. The way I feed live was the way I was taught 20+ years ago. I realize things change which is why I asked the question.
    Yes things do change and typically for the better. As Deb noted, stunning is no longer considered appropriate. In addition to not stunning rodents, there have been other changes in the last 20 years:

Myth: Feeding snakes in the enclosure will cause the snake to become aggressive and mistake your hand for food, so it should be moved to a separate tub for meals.
    Fact: You are more likely to get bit by a hungry snake if you attempt to move it than if you just feed it in the enclosure, and you can tap train a snake to break its food response so it doesn't mistake your hand for food when it's not time to eat.

Myth: Freezing a snake is a humane method of euthanasia.
    Fact: While the snake's body goes torpid its brain remains active, so it feels itself painfully freezing to death. Freezing is not humane. Pith the brain if you need to put a snake down quickly, humanely, and painlessly.
    Last edited by bcr229; 06-18-2019 at 12:28 PM.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-18-2019),Stewart_Reptiles (06-18-2019),sur3fir3 (06-18-2019)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The key to feed live is to have feeders that are well fed and well hydrated before being fed off, that is something YOU do while pre-scenting the room. Other important factor is feeding the right size.

After an hour of being in the same room simply drop the feeder in the enclosure leave it 10 mins and remove if un-eaten.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

I asked for help on what to do. If i thought i was doing it right 100% I wouldn't have asked. I asked because I wanted to see if anyone else had a better method. If I said ok this is how I feed my snakes, and I'm right, I could see your point. But I was asking for help and information on a different method. I did not say My way is right.
    Let me see if I can help.

1. Arguing with them will do you no good.

2. Back on topic... if your animal will take a prey item that is knocked out then it will take pre-killed just fine.

3. If a prey item is knocked out but still alive the snake might get lazy and not constrict the prey and it can wake up inside and eat its way out and kill your snake.

4. Research ethical ways of killing prey and you will find a variety of ways that are more accepted by the masses in the industry and hobby.

5. Us hobbyist are always under the watchful eye under any for of social media, media, or public conversation at all times. No you don't have to care or reply to comments you don't like but please understand that every word or action carries weight that effects us all.

Good luck.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-18-2019),sur3fir3 (06-18-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrivers View Post
    Let me see if I can help.

1. Arguing with them will do you no good.

2. Back on topic... if your animal will take a prey item that is knocked out then it will take pre-killed just fine.

3. If a prey item is knocked out but still alive the snake might get lazy and not constrict the prey and it can wake up inside and eat its way out and kill your snake.

4. Research ethical ways of killing prey and you will find a variety of ways that are more accepted by the masses in the industry and hobby.

5. Us hobbyist are always under the watchful eye under any for of social media, media, or public conversation at all times. No you don't have to care or reply to comments you don't like but please understand that every word or action carries weight that effects us all.

Good luck.
    Thank you very much. I don't leave my snake alone with prey. Even thought he will take knocked out I have been having issues with F/T.. I will just have to try harder I guess.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Thank you very much. I don't leave my snake alone with prey. Even thought he will take knocked out I have been having issues with F/T.. I will just have to try harder I guess.

Can I get the short version on methods to feed pre-killed you have tried? Hair dryer trick? This works most of the time with my picky eater. I know some will only eat live but there are many methods to try first. Have you tried ASF?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

sur3fir3 (06-18-2019)

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    This is for a blood python, not a ball, so he shouldn't need to go to ASF.

My picky blood wants his f/t feeders super hot, really really hot. He also preferes mice over rats but will now take mice/rat/rabbit so long as I really warm it up.
    Good luck OP, I hope you can get him on f/t.
    For the Horde!

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-18-2019),Craiga 01453 (06-18-2019),Skyrivers (06-18-2019),sur3fir3 (06-18-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    For F/T I have tried 2 methods so far. First I take the rat out of the baggie and put it on the top of his cage to thaw. Once thawed I will either heat up some water(i have tried wet and dry rodent), or get the blow dryer. I heat up the prey to about 90 deg, and then I open the tank and try to find him. Usually I can find his nose poking out of the substrate, so I try to tease him with it. I spend about 15-30 minutes trying to get his attention while he is in the substrate. Now if after 30 or 45 minutes I am unable to get a response, I will then pull him out of the substrate and try again. If that doesn't work I take a paper towel, and put the prey on it and leave it overnight. I try to heat the prey back up about every 5 - 10 minutes, until I put it on the paper towel.

When I do live he eats within 5 minutes of being presented with the prey item.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast