Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,318

1 members and 3,317 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97

Thread: Weird?

Thanks

Weird?

So in the evenings my 9mth Male BP comes out exploring every evening (normal, obviously) but after slithering around for 10 mins or so he spends about an hour (sometimes 2) trying to get through the glass doors (hes in a wooden viv). After that hour, he usually just goes back to his cave? Anyone know why he does this. His temps and humidity r all normal.

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 19,830 Times in 11,847 Posts
    Not really enough information to "know" why, as it could be many things:

Hunting for food? (is he being fed enough???); Hunting for mate? (probably not old enough yet for that); just wants to explore? (new scents nearby in the room?);
    something about his home is not satisfactory? (ie. too cool, or too hot, or too dry?- what are his temps & humidity? is anything lacking?)

And possibly, it's just because he feels like it. We joke & call BPs "pet rocks" but that doesn't really mean they are... All creatures need some exercise too.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Toad37 (06-08-2019)

Thanks

Re: Weird?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Not really enough information to "know" why, as it could be many things:

Hunting for food? (is he being fed enough???); Hunting for mate? (probably not old enough yet for that); just wants to explore? (new scents nearby in the room?);
    something about his home is not satisfactory? (ie. too cool, or too hot, or too dry?- what are his temps & humidity? is anything lacking?)

And possibly, it's just because he feels like it. We joke & call BPs "pet rocks" but that doesn't really mean they are... All creatures need some exercise too.
    I feed him a small weaner rat every 8/9 days but probably moving him up to large weaners now. His humidity is around 65%. His cool side is about 26 degrees C and his warm side is around 33 degrees C. Although hes in his warm hide 100% of the time other than when hes out exploring.

Thanks
    This is normal behavior for my ball python, Crowley. I've spent so much time taming him that he always wants to come out at night and he will ride the glass doors asking to come out. This is very normal as he just wants to come out to explore or hang out with the humans, well more like use the humans as a bridge to get to where he wants. He'll also just chill in his cave on the couch beside me and if I put him back he'll just ask to come out again. I started with taking him out for a short amount of time, like 20 mins tops when he was a baby and gradually handled him more and more and became a very tame snake. He now comes out for 3 hours at a time but this took 5 years of gradually upping his time out. I know he doesn't stress out as he loves being out and when I put him back he almost always asks to come out again by riding the glass doors. I even came up with a word for it, I call it "smushing" on the glass. Most people don't handle their snakes as much as I do but like I said I put a lot of work into getting him really tame so that I can have him out for long periods of time without him stressing out.

It seems you just have a curious snake that wants to come out and explore, I recommend handling him maybe 20 minutes every few days and gradually go up if you'd like to spend more time with him. As long as he is eating well that is a good sign that your snake is happy and enjoys his time outside the enclosure. Of course I'd take him out when he asks as during the day he would just be out looking for a place to hide and sleep.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Valyndris For This Useful Post:

Sophieg (06-09-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Valyndris View Post
    This is normal behavior for my ball python, Crowley. I've spent so much time taming him that he always wants to come out at night and he will ride the glass doors asking to come out. This is very normal as he just wants to come out to explore or hang out with the humans, well more like use the humans as a bridge to get to where he wants. He'll also just chill in his cave on the couch beside me and if I put him back he'll just ask to come out again. I started with taking him out for a short amount of time, like 20 mins tops when he was a baby and gradually handled him more and more and became a very tame snake. He now comes out for 3 hours at a time but this took 5 years of gradually upping his time out. I know he doesn't stress out as he loves being out and when I put him back he almost always asks to come out again by riding the glass doors. I even came up with a word for it, I call it "smushing" on the glass. Most people don't handle their snakes as much as I do but like I said I put a lot of work into getting him really tame so that I can have him out for long periods of time without him stressing out.

It seems you just have a curious snake that wants to come out and explore, I recommend handling him maybe 20 minutes every few days and gradually go up if you'd like to spend more time with him. As long as he is eating well that is a good sign that your snake is happy and enjoys his time outside the enclosure. Of course I'd take him out when he asks as during the day he would just be out looking for a place to hide and sleep.
    Aw! I get him out quite a bit already! 3 or 4 times a week, anywhere from 10mins to an hour each time ) Unless he's shedding of course.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sophieg View Post
    Aw! I get him out quite a bit already! 3 or 4 times a week, anywhere from 10mins to an hour each time ) Unless he's shedding of course.

That's awesome, sounds like a spoiled little noodle to me. And yes, I don't bother the snake while in shed or 48 hours after feeding. I usually just let Crowley choose when he wants to come out, he'll even let me know if he wants out or not, if he wants out he'll slowly (sometimes very quickly) come out when I open the door. If he wants to stay in, he'll either mash himself closer to the hide he's in or put his head on it like he's saying I want to stay in here.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Valyndris For This Useful Post:

Sophieg (06-10-2019)