Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,436

3 members and 3,433 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Heat cable vs heat tape

I recently purchased a used AP rack to house adult ball pythons. It is old enough that it came with heat cable/rope. It looks to be in ok condition for its age, but I am used to using heat tape with a thermostat.

My question is this: why did the reptile industry move away from heat cable and go to heat tape? Is there some risk in using the cable? Is it more prone to overheating or to fires? I can’t seem to find anything on this topic.

Would you recommend using heat tape instead of this cable stuff?

Thanks
    The response I received from AP, if anyone is interested:

Thank you for checking in Pokersnake!! We really liked the heat cable and it runs at about 7 watts per foot, so it is about the same as most 3-4" heat tape when it comes to energy. However, the heat cable is very sensitive as to where if it gets twisted, pinched or overlaps itself, it will quit working. We had quite a lot of premature heat cable failures due to those reasons with the coming in premanufactured lengths and quite a lot of excess cable in some of the racks. Just as with the heat tape, you will want to use your thermostat. Since the cable is old and you purchased the rack used, you will want to check it over to make sure it isn't damaged anywhere before using it. If you try it and like it, we do still sell replacement cables for our racks. Thanks again! Please, let us know if you have any questions. Have a great day!

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There is risk with everything any electrical device can malfunction, if you want to reduce your risk you need to do regular inspections and have a RELIABLE thermostat.

As far as heat cable vs heat tape, heat cable is the worse thing invented IMO, the heat is very uneven, and not really convenient when it comes to securing your probe directly to the heat source.
    Deborah Stewart

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (06-07-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts
    heating cable was before my time but i remember watching a youtube vid of a guy setting up a homemade rack system made of a wire shelving unit and heat cable. he looped the heat cable back and forth across the wire shelves several times like this (but the long way i think):

so when AP replied to u and said that the heat cable runs at 7watts per foot, the same as comparable heat tape - u are actually using more cable by looping or weaving it back and forth several times. so u might be be running it 14, 21 watts or more per feet to create a substantial width for a hotspot.

Edit: i have also seen peeps using heat cables in display enclosures w/ branches, etc. to mimic a vine or whatever to act as a heating decor.
    Last edited by Ax01; 06-07-2019 at 06:58 PM.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292