Hey! So I’m brand new to the reptile-owning world. I did SO MUCH research before getting my little guy, handled a bunch of other snakes, and really thought I knew what I was doing. And then I got mine and all that went out the window. I guess this is what first-time moms feel like??

My two biggest concerns right now:

1) I can’t get humidity levels to stabilize in my tank. I have a glass aquarium with a mesh lid. I have 2 water dishes, one directly below the heat lamp. I have covered 2/3 of the tank to prevent evaporation. I mist the tank at least once per day, have used soaked coconut husk mats under the substrate. And nothing I do will get the humidity over 35% for more than a few minutes. If I’m gone for a day or two it’s even gotten down to 15%.

2) I know BP are notoriously picky/bad eaters. Mine is no exception. I’ve tried to transition him a couple times to frozen/thawed rats (he was eating live pup rats from the breeder before I got him) with no success. Today I tried a live pup rat for about 15 minutes in the feeder tank and then gave up and put them both in his normal tank. They’ve now been together for a few hours, and rat actually just crawled his way into the hide with my snake. They’re apparently buddies now. I’m gonna leave him overnight (I’m pretty sure he’s too small to fight my snake) but I’m running out of ideas.... it’s only been about 2 or 3 weeks that I’ve had him, and I know he can go much longer without eating, but since I have yet to successfully feed him I’m starting to get worried.

Any advice or encouragement is greatly appreciated!!!