Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,152

1 members and 1,151 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,582
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
    Thanks

Opinions on swapping breeder male

I知 looking for some opinions on possibly swapping out my breeder male Enchi lesser 100% het clown, for his offspring that is an enchi lesser 66% het clown, but has much better banding. I知 waiting to decide until I see what comes from the other clutch, as I could have the same genes, but with pastel and possibly clown come out. But if this is the only male enchi lesser that I get, should I replace him. But I would also run the risk of him not being het for clown. Now if I get a well banded pastel, enchi, lesser male from te other clutch it will be the one up for debate. Or if my luck is really good, an enchi lesser clown male (then there is no debate).

Counting on no visual clowns with lesser. What do you all think, keep the proven 100% het male or the hatchling with same but better quality (in my mind, I like well banded)visual genes but run a chance of not having the het clown gene

Thanks,
    Kyle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Re: Opinions on swapping breeder male

Once he finished shedding in the next day or two I will get a fresh pics of the adult male. He is about 2 years old and about 800g.

Kyle

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I understand upgrading animals for something better but even if visually the male looks better genetically it is a loss since he is only possible het which means a gamble if you were to put him in some clown projects.
    Deborah Stewart

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

dr del (06-09-2019)

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,212 Times in 1,100 Posts

For Me:

If I was crossing Hets together: I would only use 100% Het Male: 100% Het Female.

If I wanted to lock down the clean banding you mention I would use the 66% Het Clown Male only with a visual Female Clown to guarantee all of the offspring are at least 100% Het Clown.
    *.* TNTC

Thanks

Thanks for the info. That痴 what I was wondering about, I was wondering if it would be a net loss, gain, or staying even by giving up a confirmed het for a possible. Sounds like I値l hold onto him for a while longer, depending on what comes out of the next 4 eggs. I do love his color, he could just be a bit more banded for my liking. They池e not hugely different, but enough. All three pictures were taken last night.

Kyle

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The adult is already a great looking male so it would really be a step backward.
    Deborah Stewart

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

the_rotten1 (06-06-2019)

Thanks

That痴 good to know. I think I値l just keep him around for a while then. It just seems like there could be more banding. I値l wait to replace him until I get an exceptionally banded one. But I do like him and him super clean white belly.

Kyle