Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,428

2 members and 3,426 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

Small white bugs on ball python?

I noticed that my ball started soaking in her bowl and that small white/tan oval-ish-shaped bugs were crawling around on her and in her tank. Are these wood mites? The description fits for wood mites but I wasn't sure if they still soak themselves if they don't have snake mites.

I will be treating her and her tank with provent-a-mite and reptile relief. I just wanted some insight as to whether or not these bugs could be snake mites.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,830 Times in 11,847 Posts
    I've never seen white/tan snake mites, & that description does fit for wood mites...however wood mites don't generally stay on a snake, & snakes don't
    normally soak because of them. Shudder!!! Whatever they are, get rid of them!

Thanks

Re: Small white bugs on ball python?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I've never seen white/tan snake mites, & that description does fit for wood mites...however wood mites don't generally stay on a snake, & snakes don't
    normally soak because of them. Shudder!!! Whatever they are, get rid of them!
    Scary to think she may have snake mites too then! I haven't seen any so far. And it also turns out that my local pet stores don't carry either of the products mentioned above, but they do have JurrasiMite! I have read some reviews and it seems to do the job for the mites that are on the snake, but it is not thorough with the enclosure? Does anyone have more insight on this product? If anything, I can begin the treatment with JurassiMite and just order the PAM online or something.

Thanks

Put a couple of drops of dawn soap in a container and add some room temp water then let your snake soak for 30 min or so as long as the water doesn’t get too cool. This should drown most if not all of the notes that are on the snake. While soaking clean/treat the enclosure and then treat the snake. I would re treat every 3-4 days for a week or 2. That’s how I got rid of them when we had them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If those are white those are wood mites. Snake mites are black.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Champ299 View Post
    Put a couple of drops of dawn soap in a container and add some room temp water then let your snake soak for 30 min or so as long as the water doesn’t get too cool. This should drown most if not all of the notes that are on the snake. While soaking clean/treat the enclosure and then treat the snake. I would re treat every 3-4 days for a week or 2. That’s how I got rid of them when we had them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do this, for sure: it's the fastest & safest way to get rid of most of the mites (whatever kind they are). The dab of dish soap makes them drown (it breaks the surface
    tension of the water so they can't stay afloat), but stay right there with your snake, don't let them drink the water, and the water should be shallow enough that your
    snake doesn't have to struggle or swim to stay up. Actual snake mites will be hiding on the snake's face too & this is how a few snake mites can survive this remedy, but
    I don't really think you have snake mites anyway. Do give your enclosure a good cleaning though, & check thru and perhaps reconsider the substrate you're using...that's
    the likely source of the bugs.

Thanks

Thanks to everyone for the help! I will give her a soap bath and clean out her enclosure as well .

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Eris_the_Diva For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-31-2019)

Thanks
    And you don't need more than a drop or two of soap (like Ivory), it should not look like a "bubble bath".