Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,196

0 members and 3,196 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: how to quarantine if I can't have separate rooms?

Quote Originally Posted by pretends2bnormal View Post
    I agree with Craig. It isn't really QT if it's still with the breeder. IMO off site only works if you have a friend or family member who has no exposure to reptiles or any in the house since that is essentially a clean zone where no diseases or parasites would have been present (or would not remain present due to months without a reptile host). The breeder has previously not followed QT to keep any part of his house or facilities clean enough from his other animals to serve for QT.

Essentially, his whole house would have been exposed to anything he might have in his collection anyway due to him going home or around his house without fully decontaminating himself first. Some diseases can survive a few months without a host and could easily be present when now being occupied for "QT".

Unless you're willing to risk the death of your original snake, the current new one, AND this third one, that's not a workable plan. And honestly, if you're okay casually risking their deaths or spreading diseases like that, then that would make me think of you as an irresponsible pet owner.

Also, yes... 1 snake may do fine for years with a feeding box, but you're talking about new snakes who can have very different temperaments. A snake offered live, especially having possibly not eaten in a while due to being loose, is highly likely to eat regardless of where it is, but this likely won't repeat indefinitely, especially when transitioning to F/T.
    A feeding tub has known risks and 0 benefits, so why do it? Maybe you'll never experience the risks, but without benefit there's no reason TO do it that way even if it were risk-free. It takes effort to do, has no benefits, and can have major risks... sounds like a no-brainer to NOT do to me.

When I initially read the post, I thought the box referred to was the kind used to transport a live feeder home from the store to he fed off, not to put the snake into to eat.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    all good points, I'll see if in the future maybe I could keep any newcomers in the hallway, where reptiles dont usually roam. ill see if i could do the same for this one, even though the girl i rent from thinks shes so terrified of reptiles. she tells me she has dreams that they get out and choke her to death, as if my snakes could possibly escape, which they cant i wish everyone saw reptiles the same way we do.

i guess I'll use the feed box for any vet transports after cleaning it thoroughly.
    Living the dream in Key West FL, an island where ball pythons seemingly come outta nowhere and into my lap to be rescued/rehabilitated...

0.1 Narcissa Malfoy 'Cissy' - Bumblebee - Age 6 - 2164g - Light case of the wobbles, rescued from breeding to future wobblers...

0.1 Lucie - Normal - Age 3.5 - 1718g - Rescued from severe abuse and neglect and after 1.5 years of constant work, she's living proof that you CAN train/condition a snake!

0.1 Alice - Yellowbelly - Age 1 - 554g - Dumped and found by local shelter, underweight and dehydrated (working on that right now)

0.1 Mrs.P - Normal - Age ~10 - 2604g - Dumped and found by the same shelter, has two cysts and a prolapse that has healed outside the body. Doesn't seem to cause issues...

GOT Q'S?
    ASK!!!!!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    I have to be completely honest here. I would not add any new snakes until your living situation changes. Without proper quarantine you're putting your other snake at risk. Simply not worth it. And if all goes well this time, next time you'll be putting BOTH at risk.

I have a friend who QTd two new animals in the same room and, unfortunately, one had mites... Long story short... Both animals sadly passed away.

Simply not worth the risk in my eyes. And not fair to the established animal(s).
    did the two pass away because of so many mites? no treatments? i would think mites could get under control with proper treatment right away...?
    Living the dream in Key West FL, an island where ball pythons seemingly come outta nowhere and into my lap to be rescued/rehabilitated...

0.1 Narcissa Malfoy 'Cissy' - Bumblebee - Age 6 - 2164g - Light case of the wobbles, rescued from breeding to future wobblers...

0.1 Lucie - Normal - Age 3.5 - 1718g - Rescued from severe abuse and neglect and after 1.5 years of constant work, she's living proof that you CAN train/condition a snake!

0.1 Alice - Yellowbelly - Age 1 - 554g - Dumped and found by local shelter, underweight and dehydrated (working on that right now)

0.1 Mrs.P - Normal - Age ~10 - 2604g - Dumped and found by the same shelter, has two cysts and a prolapse that has healed outside the body. Doesn't seem to cause issues...

GOT Q'S?
    ASK!!!!!!!

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Droxalope_94 View Post
    did the two pass away because of so many mites? no treatments? i would think mites could get under control with proper treatment right away...?
    I don't remember exactly. Sorry

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Droxalope_94 (05-30-2019)

Thanks

UPDATE Ive been able to quarantine the newcomer (alice the yellowbelly) and also Narcissa, a bumblebee something, in separate rooms, far away from each other. Lucky for me my roommate came around to the idea, everyone is eating and looks good! no signs of mites at all, no signs of IBD, no signs of RI's either! I'll be ordering a rack system for around the time that quarantine will be done, 60-90 days from now. 5 shelf vivarium electronics rack with vision cb70 tubs!

GOT Q'S?
    ASK!!!!!!!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Droxalope_94 For This Useful Post:

Bodie (06-09-2019),Craiga 01453 (06-09-2019)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12