Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,684

1 members and 2,683 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,138
Threads: 248,586
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, BertsMum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Tell us your funny reptile stories

I want to hear all about the funny, silly, cute, and unusual moments you've all had with your reptiles. I have one ball python named Crowley and he's had quite the funny moments throughout his life and though it would be fun to share stories.

First picture is when Crowley outgrew his cave but still wanted to use that one the most, I guess he still thought he was hiding.

Next picture is more recent, I found him sleeping like this, he probably thought he was hiding perfectly fine.

Next picture is him going under a little chest my grandfather made me, he was still young and wanted to hide more often.

Then he went in the lay-z-boy chair

And then the couch. (he's been in another couch before that but I don't have pictures) Well I learned my lesson by now and use a blanket to cover up any chairs or couches he goes on now. He hasn't been inside any chairs or couches since then.

Crowley going down the dresser one handle at a time so that I couldn't get him till he reached the floor. (his tank was on top the dresser)

Crowley not letting me play my video game, his cuteness is better than any video game anyway.

A younger picture here, he was wrapped around my murloc figurine. (murlocs are from World Of Warcraft)

Next is when Crowley decided to be sneaky. I was feeding him like I always do, in a tote. Well this time he decided he wasn't hungry and I didn't notice him come out of the feeding tote. This is where I found him, it was his stuff stored under the desk which his tank was on and near where I fed him. I usually watch that tote like a hawk to make sure he doesn't come out but it was dark (I prefer feeding him in the dark) and he sneaked out without me noticing. I had to wait for him to come out himself as I couldn't just pull on him.

Now this picture probably isn't the time he did it but it was where it happened. His body was blocking the entrance to his cave and he was trying to get in really bad. He proceeded with hissing at his own body because it was in the way. Then he went around to the other side (while the rest of his body still blocked the entrance) and tried getting in from the other side of the entrance just to get mad and hiss at himself again, he finally did figure it out and got the whole snake out then went in. He looked happy after he successfully got in his cave.

This next picture is of Crowley waking up in the middle of the day to the smell of bacon, from the looks of it he absolutely loves the smell of bacon.

This one is when Crowley decided to go underneath his tent instead of in it, hey whatever is comfy for him is fine by me, as long as he's happy.

And my last and most recent picture (and no this list isn't in any kind of chronological order) is of Crowley going through his cave instead of in it. He likes to hang out on the couch with me and usually goes in his cave but this time he went in the front door and made up his own back exit, I guess he must of lifted it a bit. He looked so confused and was struggling to either get in or out, so I helped him out by taking the cave off of him, picking him up and letting him try again. The second time around he got it right and went in the cave successfully.

Well that's all the funny stories I can think of about Crowley for now. Much easier to remember the stories I took pictures of as I can just go through my photo library and find the good ones. Now that I've moved into a home and Crowley has his own room he doesn't really get himself in trouble anymore but he still has his funny moments. Crowley is just so cute, funny and adorable, he is the best pet ever and I love him so much. I can't wait to hear all about the funny stories everyone else has about their reptiles.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Valyndris For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-24-2019),fadingdaylight (05-24-2019),Godzilla78 (05-25-2019),Luvyna (05-24-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,927 Times in 11,907 Posts
    Hey, Crowley is a tough act to follow! You're lucky that you got him out of the chair & sofa O.K....(you didn't say how?), but my favorite is him blocking his own
    doorway & hissing at himself, OMG! That reminds me, I had a large BCI for many years, & the best thing I ever did for her was to make her a large custom
    hide that covered about 2/3 of her cage floor. She loved having such a deep cave to go into, but also loved the "second story" aspect (complete with a rubber-backed
    carpet mat so she had good traction on top) but the very best thing was having TWO doorways on the same end of the hide, so she could literally cruise in & out, easily
    passing herself coming & going. And when I first gave it to her, she kept doing that, as if very pleased with herself, and with how easy it was to cruise her cage. She
    was quite large by then (well over 7') so her body was pretty thick. None of my colubrids get stuck on themselves going in & out of hides, but they're quite slim by
    comparison. This might be something to consider in hides for boas & pythons? While they need privacy, as long as the hide is long & deep with both doors on the one
    end, it's still quite private. My boa wasn't exactly shy though; the best thing to do is try it out by modifying a cardboard box & see if he likes it? If he does, then make
    something more permanent.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Valyndris (05-24-2019)

Thanks
    This is hilarious. A few struck home for me as well, Sushi's tank is in a breakfast area that's part of the kitchen. Bacon always seems to evoke the prey mode reaction out of him too, it cracks me up. Even snakes know that bacon smells like a good meal. A few days ago, I spotted a hide "floating" around in the tank as well (I made some bigger ones). I actually laughed pretty hard when I saw your picture.

Thanks for sharing!
    - Jason

"Why should I fear what others fear? How ridiculous!" - Lao Tzu

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fadingdaylight For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-24-2019),Valyndris (05-24-2019)

Thanks

Re: Tell us your funny reptile stories

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Hey, Crowley is a tough act to follow! You're lucky that you got him out of the chair & sofa O.K....(you didn't say how?), but my favorite is him blocking his own
    doorway & hissing at himself, OMG! That reminds me, I had a large BCI for many years, & the best thing I ever did for her was to make her a large custom
    hide that covered about 2/3 of her cage floor. She loved having such a deep cave to go into, but also loved the "second story" aspect (complete with a rubber-backed
    carpet mat so she had good traction on top) but the very best thing was having TWO doorways on the same end of the hide, so she could literally cruise in & out, easily
    passing herself coming & going. And when I first gave it to her, she kept doing that, as if very pleased with herself, and with how easy it was to cruise her cage. She
    was quite large by then (well over 7') so her body was pretty thick. None of my colubrids get stuck on themselves going in & out of hides, but they're quite slim by
    comparison. This might be something to consider in hides for boas & pythons? While they need privacy, as long as the hide is long & deep with both doors on the one
    end, it's still quite private. My boa wasn't exactly shy though; the best thing to do is try it out by modifying a cardboard box & see if he likes it? If he does, then make
    something more permanent.
    To get Crowley out of the lay-z-boy chair I actually had to take the back off of it just to get him. As for the couch, my husband was pushing down on the couch in front of where he was stuck and that gave enough space for me to pull him out. About the hide he was hissing at himself to get in, he was a growing boy and was outgrowing it. He now has hides with bigger entrances so he can easily fit now other then his smaller cave that he fits in cozy, he just loves that one too much but he hasn't gotten mad at himself trying to get in it yet. lol

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Valyndris For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-24-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fadingdaylight View Post
    This is hilarious. A few struck home for me as well, Sushi's tank is in a breakfast area that's part of the kitchen. Bacon always seems to evoke the prey mode reaction out of him too, it cracks me up. Even snakes know that bacon smells like a good meal. A few days ago, I spotted a hide "floating" around in the tank as well (I made some bigger ones). I actually laughed pretty hard when I saw your picture.

Thanks for sharing!
    I've never noticed that response to bacon...next time I make some, I'll check out my snakes. That's very interesting!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Valyndris (05-24-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,906 Times in 2,997 Posts

I let one of our Garter snakes have a slither around one evening and it dived into our dog’s food dish and munched on the meaty chunks !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bodie (05-24-2019),Bogertophis (05-24-2019),fadingdaylight (05-24-2019),Godzilla78 (05-25-2019),Luvyna (05-29-2019),Valyndris (05-24-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    I let one of our Garter snakes have a slither around one evening and it dived into our dog’s food dish and munched on the meaty chunks !!

That's what's so good about 'eating out', trying new things you don't get at home. Guess it goes for snakes too? LOL

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

fadingdaylight (05-25-2019),Valyndris (05-24-2019),Zincubus (05-24-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post

That's so cute, I never pictured a snake ever going for dog food lol

Thanks
    This was some years back, when I lived in the desert: I got home from work one day, & my next door neighbor began shouting that if I didn't get this snake out of
    his yard he was gonna kill it, so of course I went right over (despite this guy being a creep) as I didn't doubt that he'd kill a snake. It had been very hot (about 110*
    for the last week) & after watering the small trees in his yard, he noticed a large gopher snake trying to survive by resting in the dampness under a tiny bit of shade.

I didn't take a hook, as I could see what it was before I went over. The poor serpent was stretched out (about 5.5') & I just lightly stroked her mid-body...she tried
    to shove me away but I persisted & she quickly decided I wasn't a predator & stopped all protest. I gently lifted her up to carry her home, which of course amazed
    my snake-hating neighbor: he leaned toward her for a better look & just then she hissed and LUNGED right at him! I thought he was gonna fall over, & as he
    quickly retreated to his house, I could hear him mumbling about me getting along with snakes... LOL

I put the snake in cool water in my bathtub for a while to recover, then she was my house-guest for a while before moving back out once the heat went down. She
    never tried to bite me. They know by how we touch them if we're a friend or foe.
    Desert snakes have such a hard life, truly. And apparently they also know a hostile jerk when they see one.

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

fadingdaylight (05-25-2019),Godzilla78 (05-25-2019),Luvyna (05-29-2019),pretends2bnormal (05-24-2019),Valyndris (05-24-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Valyndris View Post
    That's so cute, I never pictured a snake ever going for dog food lol
    I've never kept garter snakes before, but I think I read somewhere that they might eat (moist) dog-food. This is proof enough for me.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Valyndris (05-24-2019)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast