Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,224

0 members and 3,224 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

May seem like a weird question, but does night vision cameras disrupt them at night?

I have a couple cameras to keep an eye on my snakes. They have a night vision option which is really cool because I can see them well. Although after research I figured out the way night vision works is emitting low infrared waves. Now, it’s not anywhere near the infrared lights you get from the pet store, which I know are bad. I can’t even see these infrared rays in light or dark. So my question is, is this harming them? Should I turn night vision off when I’m not looking at them? Should I continue with it unless I notice they’re avoiding direct visual contact with the camera? It’s a live stream and it records when it senses movement. Pretty neat device actually.

Thanks
    From what I've heard ball pythons can't see infrared. I remember trying an infrared bulb for my ball python before (his black one burnt out) and he just kept going to it, not sure if the brightness bothered him (it was very bright compared to the black bulb) or maybe it was because those bulbs get a lot hotter than the black ones but it looked like it bothered him so I quickly went to the store and got him his black night bulb back.

So if it doesn't look like the light is bothering your snake, it probably isn't, especially since you said you can barely see it yourself. I've wanted to get a night vision cam myself for my ball python, mostly just to record him eating as he eats in the dark and I can never get a good shot of him munching down. I just can't see something like a low emitting infrared light harming your snake, they are made not to be seen by animals (if it's just like a trail cam) so even animals with better vision than snakes don't even see it.