Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,280

1 members and 3,279 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg

Thread: Always a bummer

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

Always a bummer

Local to me, there have been a few of the chain stores that have been doing very good for the husbandry of their ball pythons with the equipment on hand. One in particular was the best at it and was using eco earth, misting/wetting the bedding regularly for humidity, no stuck sheds and/or dehydration visible, animals only 1 per cage, hides large enough for the snake to feel hidden, even if the entrances are a bit large so you can view them at least slightly... etc.

Aside from the analog gauges, everything is about as good as it can be with the supplies sold in the store and looked to be a great example for buyers to model after.

Here's one I had taken a picture of from a few months ago, the hide was further back & they had even stuffed the plastic log decor snakes seem prone to getting stuck inside of due to the hollow plastic openings internal on it.

But it seems there has been a management change or an employee who has left the store. They've reverted back to the "standard" chain store care with aspen, unusable hides, and nowhere near enough humidity. In 2 weeks, I've seen 4 different snakes in the 2 cages, and the first two looked severely dehydrated & both covered in stuck shed. The 2 that replaced them were in better shape a few days ago, but I'm guessing that they will be in the same shape before long.

The first day, I had thought that maybe that employee was not working and another subbed in and just followed the corporate manual or something, but since it has stuck around with multiple animals and a few weeks at least, it looks to be a more permanent change.

I'm really bummed that this is the same store as the first picture and that their care has had such a backslide.

The snake in this cage is perched as close to the front ceiling as possible on the decor. Not sure if it is hot and to try and escaoe the heat, or if it is the closest to hidden this snake can get. Overview of the new setups.

The other one sitting in the open. The hermit crab coconut hide is too small and with too large of a door to be usable. Thise hides aren't even advertised for the snakes, so I have no idea why they can't even use half log hides the snakes could at least fit underneath...

Anyway, just had to share.

For those who work at these chain stores, do you think this is more likely to be an employee leaving or new management?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by pretends2bnormal; 05-13-2019 at 09:42 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

Skyrivers (05-13-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Re: Always a bummer

Yeah... is hard to see stores that fail to improve husbandry practices or revert to old ways after doing good for a while. Hope the new manager or employee will improve again.

Thanks
    This is why I avoid those local chain pet stores. If I need substrate or some supply, then it's Amazon Prime for me.
    \m/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

Re: Always a bummer

Quote Originally Posted by JRLongton View Post
    This is why I avoid those local chain pet stores. If I need substrate or some supply, then it's Amazon Prime for me.
    I don't go to buy the reptile stuff or even to browse it, but we do go for outings to this store for our dog's benefit to pick up individual treats for good behavior or new toys for him since he's picky what kinds he likes (we have quite a few Chewy purchased ones that have never been touched, lol). He loves car rides and pet stores far more than he likes walks in the neighborhood or the dog park.

It's just hard to miss these changes since the reptile cages at this store are along the main aisle toward the dog stuff, so it's pretty hard to miss.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk