Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,256

0 members and 3,256 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Help me decide on a new snake! :)

Hello everyone. After a a successful year of taking care of my BP(never missing a meal, perfect sheds, etc) my parents allowed me to get another snake. I have a few species in mind. I'm currently thinking about a male BCI, a male STP or a female BP. My parents don't want a snake over 6 feet so instead of the male BCI I could potentially get a dwarf boa. I've handled a retic, a burm, a few boas, and a blood python over the past year so I think I have a small idea on what keeping one of the species I listed above might be like. Anyways, my BP has never hissed, struck, or bit me, so I want more of a "mean" snake because I want to gain experience with all sorts of different behaviors in snakes. I know that all snakes have different personalities, but do you guys have any ideas on species that I could get that are more commonly defensive and stay under 6 foot? I would prefer boas or pythons. Thanks!
    I like noodles.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 460 Posts

Re: Help me decide on a new snake! :)

Rat snakes! Come over to the rat snake forum and ask away! Mine is a fantastic, curious, calm pet and so easy to feed and care for compared to my BP. I just really enjoy her

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
    2 BP's, one ratsnake, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 small caged birds, 7 chickens, and a toddler in a pear tree

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FollowTheSun For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-11-2019),Danya (05-11-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,830 Times in 11,847 Posts
    Not a "mean" snake, but Australian spotted pythons stay small but act like big snakes (great feeding response to f/t!), they're a hoot. These do stay smaller than
    the species you mentioned, but since you're still living with your folks, it would be a good idea to stay "practical", since at some point your life is apt to change by
    leaps & bounds...& finding an apartment that allows pets, especially snakes, can be a challenge, for example. And if you plan to go off to college, your time and
    priorities are apt to change drastically too.

I didn't suggest a rat snake or other colubrid only because the OP specified a boa/python. But yeah, bull snakes really rock too, and all rat snakes!
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-11-2019 at 06:33 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Danya (05-11-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 460 Posts

Oh wait I didn't see the mean snake part. Never mind. Unless you want to work with our really grumpy bitey BP named Lucy.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by FollowTheSun; 05-11-2019 at 06:36 PM.
    2 BP's, one ratsnake, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 small caged birds, 7 chickens, and a toddler in a pear tree

7. The Following User Says Thank You to FollowTheSun For This Useful Post:

Danya (05-11-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

For something a bit more "mean", you could go with something impressively bluff-y like a bull snake or gopher snake. They rarely exceed 6', but even if they are, they're not super thick bodied, so it isn't likely to seem that large (just don't measure ). They tend to be quite loud and vocal, but don't actually bite all that much. My bull is a very easy-going one for her age/size, but even though she has never struck, she can put on a hilarious "hissy" fit.

Or you could go for a truly "mean" snake, like a green tree python or Amazon tree boa. Smaller enclosure size for the size of snake because they're arboreal, and well known for being temperamental. Hahaha.

I've got a male and female BCI, and a male blood, but mine are all juveniles, so I can't say much on adult size. They're all at least as docile as my BPs, though. More confident and very calm. Well-bred bloods are often extremely tame and calm. Some BPs are more shy and spook easier than others and can actually be "worse" than bloods or boas. My male BCI has been one of my easiest snakes to work with.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

9. The Following User Says Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

Danya (05-11-2019)

Thanks
    I would be fine with a rat snake, I just have no experience with any colubrids so far. When I was looking into some meaner snakes I came across the coachwhip. Do you know if they are similar behavior wise since finding a CB coachwhip is a hassle?

I'll have to look into the spotted pythons. Only downside for me is that there on the smaller side.
    I like noodles.

Thanks

The bull and gopher snake seem like that ideal choice! I'll definitely look into them. Do they have any downsides that I should know about as a new keeper? Oh, and how large of an enclosure do you think an adult gopher/bull snake would need? Thanks.
    I like noodles.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Danya View Post
    The bull and gopher snake seem like that ideal choice! I'll definitely look into them. Do they have any downsides that I should know about as a new keeper? Oh, and how large of an enclosure do you think an adult gopher/bull snake would need? Thanks.
    Figure about a 60-70 gal. tank size with screen top...you want good ventilation. These are day-time active hunters, they happily take f/t rodents, and especially
    when hatchlings, can be pretty feisty. Most out-grow that, but personality is partly genetic, & a big part experience/learning. I've kept, bred & raised both bull &
    gopher snakes...the only downside would be they can be restless in too small of a cage...as I said, these are ACTIVE hunters, not ambush predators like BPs. The
    temps. needed are pretty much room temperature (70*) for most of cage with UTH (about 85*) at one end for digestion. All of mine were tame to handle easily once
    grown, & they 'change gears' pretty well too (ie. they were smart enough not to think I was edible if I handled them after a meal).

Thanks

How fast do they grow? Also, I keep my room in the mid-high 70's. Would this be fine for a gopher/bull snake?
    I like noodles.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Danya View Post
    I would be fine with a rat snake, I just have no experience with any colubrids so far. When I was looking into some meaner snakes I came across the coachwhip. Do you know if they are similar behavior wise since finding a CB coachwhip is a hassle?

I'll have to look into the spotted pythons. Only downside for me is that there on the smaller side.
    I would not recommend a coachwhip: they are VERY active & tend to do poorly in even a large cage...it's not the same thing as wide open spaces & real sunlight.
    The only reason I've known & kept one briefly was that I lived in the desert where they are native, & had one as a rescue. They are not constrictors, they gulp down
    a variety of small prey still alive, & they are not happy even in BIG cages. They're a racer-type snake...not a fun pet. Please cross coachwhips off your list.

Say, if you really want an ornery snake, I'll send you my Korean rat snake! He's only about 5' of PITA, lol.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Bodie (05-12-2019)

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast