Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,207

1 members and 2,206 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,543
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks

Using mini humidifier in tank?

Hi everyone!
    my BP is about to shed in the next few days and I’ve been battling with keeping humidity high. I live in a place where there’s 20% humidity outside so it’s a bit of a challenge. Planning on buying a humidifier for my room however won’t be able to make it here in time plus setting it at 70-80% might be too high to be for my bedroom. I tried the towel idea, covering the screen with aluminum foil. Now to my question: do you think it would be ok to put my mini usb humidifier in his tank temporarily? I’ll attach a photo of it. Looks like a essential oil diffuser but has never been used with anything but pure water. Seems pretty harmless to me and maybe I could prop it with a couple of rocks around it to make sure he wouldn’t tip it over...let me know what you think. So far I’ve been spraying his enclosure like 8 times or more per day to keep humidity up but I have to leave and work at some point today.

- - - Updated - - -

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I'm not sure about those things, never used them. There are plenty of tricks to keep humidity up though. You can add some sphangnum moss, add a larger or second water bowl, etc...

What substrate are you using?

You can also wrap the enclosure in foam board insulation. I do this with all my glass enclosures and it helps immensely with heat and humidity control.

I live in MA and it gets pretty dry for fall and winter. I never have to mist.

Thanks

Re: Using mini humidifier in tank?

Hey I think that maybe if you place it outside the tank and have it on a timed outlet so it’s not just on for the entire time it should be okay but I don’t know about putting it inside just because of RI, if your guys going into shed I think a humidity hide is your best option just get a bunch of sphagnum moss or paper towels put them in a container cut a hole and he should use it. Did you consider getting a much larger water bowl, I struggled with humidity too and it helped a lot. I did end up just getting a humidifier and putting a ton of plants in the room close the doors and it’s been okay since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 9,868 Times in 4,781 Posts
    Cover the top with a damp towel, as a dry towel will just absorb the water from the tank.

An easy way to raise humidity in a room is to get a drying rack ($20 at Walmart), run some bath towels, jeans, or anything else with a fairly heavy-weight fabric through the wash, then hang the clean laundry on the rack in the room. You also save money not running the dryer. I do this a lot in the winter but it hasn't been needed recently as we've had an insanely wet spring.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bodie (05-11-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,186 Times in 695 Posts
    Screen tops are a nightmare for humidity. The easiest way to keep humidity up in a glass aquarium is to seal it all but a small opening for air. So if you have a screen top you can just get a piece of plexiglas cut to the size of the screen top minus about a 1/2" for air exchange. Once you do this you'll never have humidity issues again, just keep a good size water bowl in there and a good substrate for humidity like reptichip. You may have to rewet the substrate occasionally but most likely less than weekly.