Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,440

2 members and 3,438 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

First Feeding Advice? (1st attempt didn’t take)

My new girl is a few months old and has been home for a week, breeder was feeding her 2 live hoppers a week and told me to try feeding her after 3 days in her new home. I waited a week to give her a little more time to settle. Last night I tried feeding her the first time by giving her a F/T hopper. Thawed it for 2 hours in room temp water and then brought it up to 90° with a hairdryer right before offering it to her with feeding tongs. She was out on top of her hide; was curious and smelled it for awhile before returning under her hide and passing on the meal. I left her alone with it in her tank for another hour but she didn’t return to it.

Advice on how long to wait before trying again? Anything to do differently? Other suggestions?

Husbandry: 20 gal tank until she’s bigger, bioactive setup with a warm and cool hide and some plant coverage as well. Temp gradient is ~78° cool side and 90° warm side, ambient temp of 80°. Tank is heated with a UTH under her warm hide for a hotspot and with a radiant heat panel for the rest. Humidity is 65°. She spends every day in her warm hide but at night I’ve seen her on either side of the tank or on top of her cool hide (never in it so far).

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Congrats on your new girl!!

I would hold off on offering again for 5 days. Offering too often can stress the snake and lead to more refusals.

Also, try getting the prey a bit warmer. Aim for 100. If the snake seems interested but doesn't take it, reheat it and try again. If she loses interest, don't be too persistent and stress her.
    Keep in mind small prey will cool extremely fast. But more on that below...

Another thing... if your girl is a few months old hoppers are too small. They eat hoppers right out of the egg for their first few meals only and quickly move up to small adult mice.

Make sure you're feeding at night, since they are nocturnal predators. Keep the lights off or really dimly lit.

If she doesn't take F/T prey soon you'll likely have to switch to live to get her going, since that's what she was eating before. Then transition her to F/T prey.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bodie (05-03-2019),JodanOrNoDan (05-03-2019)