Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,282

0 members and 3,282 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Question for those who you barren tubs

Hello all,
    A) I have a lot of respect for this forum as many members on here have a wealth of knowledge and B) I am curious to know what yall think about this topic.
    Many people on this forum promote that snakes operate purely off of instincts and that things like enrichment are not necessary. I had stumbled across an interesting website last night and thought I would share and get feedback from the forum. I do not keep my snake in a tub (nothing inherently wrong with them) nor do I keep my snake in a plain barren environment and I feel that enrichment is beneficial to animals. What are your guys' opinions on the matter?

http://rainbowsnakes.tumblr.com/post...tiles-what-why

Here is a quote at the end that sums it up pretty well

Small, sterile enclosures are only appropriate for temporary quarantine housing, not for the long term.

While reptiles are not the same as mammals, and should not be held to the same standards, they are not as robotic and behaviorally rigid as some people seem to think. They can not thrive kept in barren enclosures without enrichment and stimulation…. Science has caught up with that, the pet trade (where reptiles are concerned) has not… We owe these animals a good quality of life so they can thrive and not merely survive…

It goes on to provide examples and studies of the benefits of enrichment with reptiles.. I know there is a popular belief that racks are the optimum way to house snakes (Im not disagreeing with that) but I don't know if a bare tub with nothing other than paper towels and a water bowl is ideal.

I'm hoping I don't get flamed on this post.. I think providing the best possible lives for these animals is priority number 1 and I just question if a bare rack with no enrichment at all is the best we can do.
    1.0 Orange Dream x Lemonback x Super Enchi -Damian

Wishlist
    0.1 Corn Island Boa

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jmarshall For This Useful Post:

Alter-Echo (04-04-2019),Bogertophis (04-04-2019),Dianne (04-04-2019)

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Re: Question for those who you barren tubs

I respect your opinion: But, grouping all reptiles together is a flawed thesis from the start.
    *.* TNTC

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

Stewart_Reptiles (04-04-2019),the_rotten1 (04-05-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Sorril View Post
    I respect your opinion: But, grouping all reptiles together is a flawed thesis from the start.
    Throughout the site there are studies on specific species.. here is one on rat snakes...

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/...7604jaws0902_1

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Sorril View Post
    And another..

https://trace.tennessee.edu/utk_gradthes/1821/

Snakes have the ability of spatial learning..

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...0334729890971X
    Last edited by Jmarshall; 04-04-2019 at 01:25 PM.

Wishlist
    0.1 Corn Island Boa

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jmarshall For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-04-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Also, these are the opinions (backed by scientific studies) of an Animal science lecture and animal welfare scientist who is awaiting their PHD who I just happen to agree with. There are many specific studies on specific reptiles if you'd have taken the time to read through the link before posting..

Wishlist
    0.1 Corn Island Boa

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jmarshall For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-04-2019)

Thanks

I keep 5 of my 6 BPs in a rack. The 6th is in a 40 gallon tank with natural decorations. That being said, I was never crazy about the rack idea. Unfortunately it is a necessity for those of us without enough room for the collection we have. I would certainly move them to tanks if I could.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jbabycsx View Post
    I keep 5 of my 6 BPs in a rack. The 6th is in a 40 gallon tank with natural decorations. That being said, I was never crazy about the rack idea. Unfortunately it is a necessity for those of us without enough room for the collection we have. I would certainly move them to tanks if I could.

I dont think the problem is racks.. If the animal has plenty of space within the tub, and enrichment in the tub.. Hides, coverage, substrate etc I see them on par with each other. I think the problem lays with plain tubs with just a water dish.. I know racks are the only option for certain individuals..
    Last edited by Jmarshall; 04-04-2019 at 03:15 PM.

Wishlist
    0.1 Corn Island Boa

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jmarshall For This Useful Post:

TechnoCheese (04-07-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jmarshall View Post
    I dont think the problem is racks.. If the animal has plenty of space within the tub, and enrichment in the tub.. Hides, coverage, substrate etc I see them on par with each other. I think the problem lays with plain tubs with just a water dish.. I know racks are the only option for certain individuals..
    I have two hides in each of my tubs.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 501 Posts

I don't have a bone in this potential debate whatsoever, but I was watching a video the other day that contrasted bare bones tubs with decorated ones (let's just say BHB did not come out looking so great). Snake Discovery on YouTube has some awesome examples of how to make tubs and/or rack systems work in ways that are more enriching for snakes. It seems like it's possible to have the best of both worlds if you need the space saving a rack offers but still want some enrichment.
    BALL PYTHONS: 1.0 Pied/Clark, 1.0 Pastel Vanilla Super Stripe/Sunny, 0.1 Dragon Fly/Buffy, 0.1 Pastel Vanilla Yellow Belly/Cher, 0.1 BEL (Mojave Lesser)/Arya, 0.0.1 Normal/Norm, 0.1 Cinnamon Enchi/Peaches, 1.0 Cinnamon Calico/Yoshi, 0.1 Pewter Het Dreamsicle/Ariel
    BOAS: 0.1 Dumeril's/Memphis, 0.1 BCL/Artemis, 1.0 BCO/Grimm, 0.1 Suriname BCC/Rhubarb
    CORN SNAKES: 0.0.1/Mushu
    MORELIA: 0.1 Bredli/Zelda, 0.1 Granite IJ/Bridget, 0.1 Caramel Diamond Jungle/Pixie

14. The Following User Says Thank You to WhompingWillow For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-04-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WhompingWillow View Post
    I don't have a bone in this potential debate whatsoever, but I was watching a video the other day that contrasted bare bones tubs with decorated ones (let's just say BHB did not come out looking so great). Snake Discovery on YouTube has some awesome examples of how to make tubs and/or rack systems work in ways that are more enriching for snakes. It seems like it's possible to have the best of both worlds if you need the space saving a rack offers but still want some enrichment.
    Yes! I really enjoy snakediscoveries tub set ups. I think they do provide more enrichment for the animals and it cant do anything but help the animals. I just fear that reptiles get labeled as "simple" and are given the cheapest most convenient set up for the keepers without the animals best interest in mind. That website and those studies were the most thorough i've seen on the subject.

Wishlist
    0.1 Corn Island Boa

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Jmarshall For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-04-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WhompingWillow View Post
    Do you happen to have a link to the video? This topic of reptile welfare is extremely interesting to me and its something I am quite passionate about. It is funny considering I am an extremely green keeper.

Wishlist
    0.1 Corn Island Boa

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast