Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,417

3 members and 3,414 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Feeding too small rats?

Hey guys I’ve got a ball python, and he’s around 11 months old, I’ve been feeding him small rats because I had heard that males don’t typically move on to medium rats unless they’re breeding. I feed him once a week and every time he gets one down instead of sleeping it off or going into his hides he stays out and goes into the position that he’s in when he is hungry. Should I move on to medium rats for him I’ll attach some pictures. The small rats are thinner than the thickest part of his body if that makes sense. Sorry I know this is basic stuff just need a little help

I’ve thought of the possibility that maybe he was sexed wrong and is a female not sure please let me know your opinions and sorry for the pics He’s always moving around

982g

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BPnet Senior Member CloudtheBoa's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 620 Posts
    My bp is about the same size, maybe a little bigger. He gets a single small rat (40-80 grams) every 2 weeks, and I was even thinking of spreading that out to every 3 weeks. 3'7" and 1,200-1,400 depending on how well he's eating. YMMV, but my bp will start to refuse food on mediums, even on as little as one medium rat, he will begin refusing food on the next rat, even if I wait 3 weeks. I've experienced this, and the person caring for him has noted similar behavior.

I say "he," but he's really unsexed. Recently, he's been a suspected female, and the one time I tried to probe, he probed female. I would rather have an expert sex him before I say for sure. lol

He's not currently with me, so here's a few old pictures. He'll be 13 this year, and hasn't really grown even an inch from what I can tell since he was 3 years old, so even though the pics are a few years old, the size should still be the same.

Personally, I'd probably stay on smalls, but you could offer the occasional medium rat to see how he'd handle it if you wish. I'd give him extra time between meals when you did feed a medium, though.
    8.3 Boa imperator ('15 sunglow "Nymeria," '11 normal "Cloud," '16 anery motley "Crona," '10 ghost "Howl," '08 jungle "Dominika," '22 RC pastel hypo jungle "Aleister," '22 pastel normal "Gengar," '22 orangasm hypo "Daemon," '22 poss jungle "Jinzo," '22 poss jungle "Calcifer," '22 motley "Guin")
    1.4 Boa imperator; unnamed '22 hbs
    3.3 Plains garter snakes
    1.2 checkered garter snakes (unnamed)

~RIP~
    2.2 Brazilian rainbow boa ('15 Picasso stripe BRBs "Guin" and "Morzan, and '15 hypo "Homura", '14 normal "Sanji")
    1.0 garter snake ('13 albino checkered "Draco")
    1.0 eastern garter ('13 "Demigod)
    0.0.1 ball python ('06 "Bud")

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CloudtheBoa For This Useful Post:

Dorsa (04-01-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Try the above guide. This will cover 90% of the This size every This Duration questions.

Just because the snake thinks they should eat doesn't mean they should. Even snakes can become obese in captivity through over feeding, and this will shorten their life spans.

Best,

Paul

5. The Following User Says Thank You to pbenner For This Useful Post:

Dorsa (04-01-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Stick to smalls.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Dorsa (04-01-2019)

Thanks
    Do u sell shirts or something?? Just curious with all those boxes. The only person I know with that many gildan box’s owns a shirt shop.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Danger noodles For This Useful Post:

Dorsa (04-01-2019)

Thanks

Re: Feeding too small rats?

Quote Originally Posted by CloudtheBoa View Post
    My bp is about the same size, maybe a little bigger. He gets a single small rat (40-80 grams) every 2 weeks, and I was even thinking of spreading that out to every 3 weeks. 3'7" and 1,200-1,400 depending on how well he's eating. YMMV, but my bp will start to refuse food on mediums, even on as little as one medium rat, he will begin refusing food on the next rat, even if I wait 3 weeks. I've experienced this, and the person caring for him has noted similar behavior.

I say "he," but he's really unsexed. Recently, he's been a suspected female, and the one time I tried to probe, he probed female. I would rather have an expert sex him before I say for sure. lol

He's not currently with me, so here's a few old pictures. He'll be 13 this year, and hasn't really grown even an inch from what I can tell since he was 3 years old, so even though the pics are a few years old, the size should still be the same.

Personally, I'd probably stay on smalls, but you could offer the occasional medium rat to see how he'd handle it if you wish. I'd give him extra time between meals when you did feed a medium, though.
    He’s so cute! Does he ever seem hungry in between the feedings or is he fine? I’m thinking of staying with small rats now for sure

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pbenner View Post

Try the above guide. This will cover 90% of the This size every This Duration questions.

Just because the snake thinks they should eat doesn't mean they should. Even snakes can become obese in captivity through over feeding, and this will shorten their life spans.

Best,

Paul
    I’m afraid of obesity for sure I constantly weight him, thank you that’s great help

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Danger noodles View Post
    Do u sell shirts or something?? Just curious with all those boxes. The only person I know with that many gildan box’s owns a shirt shop.
    Lol yes! My boyfriend owns a little shirt company that supports Alzheimer’s awareness, you can check it out if you like it’s vankats.ca

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dorsa View Post
    Lol yes! My boyfriend owns a little shirt company that supports Alzheimer’s awareness, you can check it out if you like it’s vankats.ca

Sweet! I used to go to their shop and screen my own custom tees. I’ll definitely order a shirt soon too

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Danger noodles For This Useful Post:

Dorsa (04-01-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Danger noodles View Post
    Sweet! I used to go to their shop and screen my own custom tees. I’ll definitely order a shirt soon too
    Thanks!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast