Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,345

0 members and 3,345 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,986 Times in 1,247 Posts
    My boas will def eat when they are blue but I don't offer if I know they are. In my opinion they they seem uncomfortable during the shed process and I don't want to couple that with trying to digest a meal. Prob wont hurt them but I like to keep it as stress free as possible for them. None of them are EVER in danger of starving. lol

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cletus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-02-2019),Saml8 (04-02-2019)

Thanks

Re: Feeding juvenile while in blue/shedding

So my little guy shed earlier today... all rolled up so I had to unroll to make sure eye caps were there... is that typical for their shed to be completely rolled up? My corn's shed is left in one long piece.

good news--all in one piece!

question: since we're behind and his feeding is it OK to feed him today or should I wait a day or two ?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Saml8 For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (04-04-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Saml8 View Post
    So my little guy shed earlier today... all rolled up so I had to unroll to make sure eye caps were there... is that typical for their shed to be completely rolled up? My corn's shed is left in one long piece.

good news--all in one piece!

question: since we're behind and his feeding is it OK to feed him today or should I wait a day or two ?
    I almost always get sheds rolled up like an old sock from all the snakes. Feeding the day of shed is fine, I usually wait until the day after so I can handle them for a bit when their colors are at their peak the day of shed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (04-04-2019),Saml8 (04-04-2019)

Thanks

The boa is not behind on feeding...

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bns For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-04-2019),CloudtheBoa (04-05-2019),Gio (04-04-2019),Saml8 (04-04-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts
    Does anyone remember Gus Rentfro? Some folks here, I'm included, have boas from his Rio Bravo lines.

Gus used to post frequently on various boards and he was/is an authority on the boa constrictor. I was able to chat with him by e-mail a few times years ago.

One quote I remember went something like this. "It is nearly impossible to under feed a boa constrictor but it is entirely possibly to over feed one".

That may not be the exact wording he used but the message is what is important.

I look at the shed process as an excellent time to let a snake clean out and reenergize. The shed process utilizes energy as does digestion, I don't like to mix the two. I prefer to let the shed take place, which is almost always followed by some type of waste elimination and a period of inactivity then feed afterwards.

If you are feeding a boa constrictor prior to it eliminating waste from the previous feed, you are likely over feeding.

CAN you feed a boa during shed? Sure you can.

There is really no need to do so though.

If you are going to concentrate on anything during the shed process, make it about maintaining proper humidity levels in the enclosure and providing security for the animal.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

CloudtheBoa (04-05-2019),Saml8 (04-04-2019)

Thanks

Gio- I've had him for about 4 weeks and he pooped within the first couple of days of me getting him but I haven't seen a poop since. He is on cypress mulch so I guess it would be possible I've missed it although I've looked. The last time I fed him was March 23. You don't think I should feed him untill he poops again? Does it matter how old they are… He's about 10 months old.

thanks for the insight!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Gio- I've had him for about 4 weeks and he pooped within the first couple of days of me getting him but I haven't seen a poop since. He is on cypress mulch so I guess it would be possible I've missed it although I've looked. The last time I fed him was March 23. You don't think I should feed him untill he poops again? Does it matter how old they are… He's about 10 months old.

thanks for the insight!
    If he's in shed, and hasn't eliminated since your March 23 feeding, let him shed and eliminate. He's almost a year old and should be fairly established, meaning he's not a struggling baby looking for his first meal. He should also be relatively settled having been with you for 4 weeks.

I do remember when my boa was younger, he'd hold waste a bit longer. My guess is younger animals use every nutrient they can for growth and possibly process their food more efficiently and produce less waste. I'm not certain but it is a thought I've had.

Eventually you will see a very predictable feeding and elimination cycle.

I don't feed my boa over the winter months, but I have been surprised within the first month of not feeding him, to come across some unexpected waste. I don't think you need to wait for an extended period of time to feed but again, if he's in shed just wait for him to complete the process and feed within the next day or two.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

CloudtheBoa (04-05-2019),richardhind1972 (04-04-2019),Saml8 (04-04-2019)

BPnet Senior Member CloudtheBoa's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 620 Posts
    I don't generally wait for feces, but my babies start out 10-14 days from birth. Some of my boas go within a week or two, some take 2-3 weeks, and a few (mainly my sunglow) will hold onto 3-4 meals and poop every few months. For this reason, I mainly just stick to a schedule, but if your boa ate March 23 and is a habitual slow pooper, tomorrow is the soonest I'd probably feed it.

Boas hold onto a store of feces pretty much all the time; even when my boas are in the middle/at the end of a winter fast, a quick X-ray has shown a very large, healthy store of feces.
    8.3 Boa imperator ('15 sunglow "Nymeria," '11 normal "Cloud," '16 anery motley "Crona," '10 ghost "Howl," '08 jungle "Dominika," '22 RC pastel hypo jungle "Aleister," '22 pastel normal "Gengar," '22 orangasm hypo "Daemon," '22 poss jungle "Jinzo," '22 poss jungle "Calcifer," '22 motley "Guin")
    1.4 Boa imperator; unnamed '22 hbs
    3.3 Plains garter snakes
    1.2 checkered garter snakes (unnamed)

~RIP~
    2.2 Brazilian rainbow boa ('15 Picasso stripe BRBs "Guin" and "Morzan, and '15 hypo "Homura", '14 normal "Sanji")
    1.0 garter snake ('13 albino checkered "Draco")
    1.0 eastern garter ('13 "Demigod)
    0.0.1 ball python ('06 "Bud")

15. The Following User Says Thank You to CloudtheBoa For This Useful Post:

Saml8 (04-06-2019)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12