Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,367

0 members and 2,367 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,573
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397
    Thanks

Temp on cool side?

Hello,
    I recently got a normal BP and I have a heat mat and have also been using a heat lamp but it has been drying out the enclosure. Without the lamp, under the hide on the warm side is about 90° F but the cool side is 70° F. I dont know if I should worry about the temp on the cool side if my BP is under the warm hide? Without the lamp the humidity is perfect, around 60-64%. I noticed when the lamp is on he moves to the cool side shortly after because it gets too hot.

Thank you in advance for the tips 😊

Thanks
    Are the mat and lamp on thermostats? 70 is a little chilly for a ball python, you really don't want anything below 75. What type of enclosure are you using?
    - Jason

"Why should I fear what others fear? How ridiculous!" - Lao Tzu

Thanks

Re: Temp on cool side?

Do not have a thermostat yet using a temp gun and a digital hygrometer. Yeah I agree, it is too cool on the cool side but if I use additional heat with the lamp it makes the warm side to hot so I'm not sure what to do. 😐

- - - Updated - - -

I'm using a glass 20 long tank

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts
    Buy a humidifier, try covering half the tank with a damp towel. Add sphagnum moss, increase the water bowl size. Place acrylic sheets of plastic (cut to size on top to hold in humidity. That’s just some quick ones that come to mind, so you can add/do what you need to raise your cool side temps.
    Last edited by Sonny1318; 03-31-2019 at 01:21 PM.
    1.0 Black Pastel Pinstripe
    1.0 Reduced Pattern Clown
    1.0 Low White Pied
    1.0 Hypo Super Enchi

Thanks
    You must have a thermostat. Get one ASAP. You won't always be there to monitor the temps when they spike.

So what you're measuring is the surface tempature? You need a digital thermometer to monitor the ambient tempature. You don't want a cool side ambient of less than 75, and the hot side ambient must be 80-90 with a hotspot surface tempature of 90.

A 20 gallon might be a bit hard to maintain temps and create a gradient, but it is possible. Covering the top, insulating the sides, and increasing the tempature of the room can help. But first things first you need a thermostat. And a digital thermometer, but a thermostat is urgently needed as the heat pad can fluctuate and cause neurological problems, and burn, or even kill your snake. I wish you good luck.
    Last edited by 55fingers; 03-31-2019 at 01:35 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 55fingers For This Useful Post:

octo_owl (03-31-2019)

Thanks

Re: Temp on cool side?

I do have a digital thermometer, the probe is in the middle I turned the light on and now it is at 82°F ambient temp, the warm side under the hide is 92°F and now the cool side is 80°F. I ordered a thermostat should be getting it in a couple of days. Thanks for the tips!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    Glass is fine as long as you set it up correctly. I use glass and my temps are ideal and humidity is great. I only have to mist every two days.

Screen lid I assume?

i have a tutiorial on covering lids. Make sure you get a thermostat for your uth. And what type of light are you using?

Ambient air air should be 80 and cool side should be 80-82
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*