Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
FYI, different enzymes are required to digest bones & protein versus plant material...VERY different. Snakes are not & cannot be 'vegetarians' for this reason.
It's not about being "tough enough to digest bones"...they do not possess the enzymes needed to break down plant material.

I too would be concerned about mulch with splinters...perforated guts are not unheard of, but usually minor amounts of debris just "go along for the ride" OK.
I’m aware of this, just trying to make a point. I’m actually a biologist by training, freshwater ecologist to be exact. I’m currently in grad school, almost halfway done I was trying to comfort the poor guy by mentioning how “tough” they are. I’m pretty confident that a snake can pass a wood chip. Although it is more concerning than if it ate coconut husk/fiber. Even if you take a wood chip and soak it in water for a bit it gets more pliable so I’m doubtful that a small one would cause permanent damage. I’m by no means a veterinarian but in my experience reptiles can be pretty resilient when it comes to things like this. I think it’s normal to worry too much with a new animal. I still think he should change the substrate though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk