Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,490

1 members and 2,489 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,120
Threads: 248,561
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Luke50585
    Thanks

VERY active snake

Hello!
    I'm wondering if anyone could offer some insight as to my snake's behavior (not a breeder and we never had them sexed). He's recently become extremely active , crawling around all night and even during the day he'll rest all laid out. I've rarely seen him in his hide rocks (single entrance, fits tightly inside) and even as I write this (7am my time) he's lying stretched out on his cage floor. I let him out at night and he'll explore my room without curling under the bed as is his usual behavior. Despite all the movement I haven't been able to get him to eat (I'm going to try changing the bedding) but now I'm wondering if this action might be something other than seeking food.
    Could he have gotten too big for his hide rocks? He's had the rocks for about 5 years and hasn't changed in size much since then so I'm unsure of that.
    Any information would be super appreciated! I just want my snake to be comfortable and content. I've had him 22 years so I feel kind of ridiculous for not knowing all I can, but for most of that time he was a family pet and I'm still working on unlearning the general snake care guidelines that aren't really great.
    Cage info:
    Radiant heat panel with thermometer control. Averages about 90 on hot side and 80 on cool side.
    Humidity is at 80% but I'm hoping that'll reduce a bit as I just recently misted
    Bedding is coconut fiber and repti-bark
    Cage dimensions are 4 feet x 3 feet x 2 feet
    Cage is plastic with single side doors

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Re: VERY active snake

His instinct is to breed at this time of year. He may/may not eat if you offer. Give him a few months and he should be back to normal.
    *.* TNTC

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-26-2019),Sonny1318 (03-26-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,871 Times in 11,872 Posts
    It's probably breeding season, as Lord Sorril said ^ ^ ^ but could also be something else. Ever taken a fresh stool sample from him to the vet to be checked?

Hard to say about the size of the hides...most BPs like to feel snug in them, some so much so that they resemble tortoises when it lifts up over them. But
    they also want hides that aren't too "open"- the doorway should be just big enough for the snake (with a meal bulge) to easily enter. You could try offering
    something else just to test it before you run to get something else...even a cardboard box of the right dimensions (toss when dirty) to see if he uses it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (03-26-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts
    This time of year, it doesn’t suprize me a bit that your snake is lying out in the open. My 5 year old clown hasn’t used his hide literally since December. My shy black pastel pin also likes to lay in the open this time of year too. And to be honest my two three year old boys also do it quite a bit also. In a month or two the enclosures will appear empty from them staying in their hides all the time. Hope this helps, peace.
    1.0 Black Pastel Pinstripe
    1.0 Reduced Pattern Clown
    1.0 Low White Pied
    1.0 Hypo Super Enchi

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonny1318 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-26-2019)

Thanks
    I have a 10 month old male lavender het pied in quarantine who just recently hit 500 grams but if I leave my room door open where my female stays, after about 20 minutes hes is in searching mode sniffing any open air he can find. At night hes usually out now to. He also went off food about 2 weeks ago. He is growing up fast.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MattEvans For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-26-2019)