Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,222

0 members and 3,222 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Still not eating

So it's been about 2 months and my snake is still not eating I am starting to get worried I know they can go 3 months without eating her humidity and temps are all where they should be I've been trying every couple of days to try and get her to eat she acts like she's hungry but when I put her in there with it she looks at it like she's going to strike but doesn't. Is there anything to try that may get her to eat? She doesn't look like she's lost any weight I need to buy a scale still I have a scale for humans that weighs pounds I didn't know if I could use that for now and convert the pounds to grams. She will be 5 years old next month.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    I love my danger noodle

Thanks

Re: Still not eating

You are probably stressing your snake out by trying to feed too often. The general consensus around here is too wait a week if it refuses to eat before trying again. You can actually cause it to not eat by trying to feed too often. And u don't think a human scale is going to be very accurate for weighing snakes. You want something a bit more precise.
    1.0 Bearded Dragon
    0.1 Super Pastel Lesser Ball Python
    1.0 Pastel Bamboo Ball Python
    0.0.1 Halmahera Blue Tongue Skink
    0.0.2 Crested Gecko
    1.2.Guinea Pigs
    1.0 Leopard Gecko
    0.1 Toad
    0.1 Iguana
    0.1 Dog
    0.2 Cats

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gunkle For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-19-2019),IllumiBunny (03-19-2019)

Registered User ShawarmaPoutine's Avatar
    Thanks

Still not eating

Offer every 7-10 days only. Did s/he stop eating as winter came in? If so, it’s likely due to the change in ambient temperature, winters being drier (lower humidity) and a change in air pressure. A similar thing happened to my male banana (fasted for 90 days - lost 100 grams) and I got him to eat again buy changing from rats to mice (one feeding only) and now I am scenting small rats with mice to get him to eat them.
    Last edited by ShawarmaPoutine; 03-19-2019 at 08:33 PM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    My male recently started to do the same thing: interested but nope. Nothing else changed husbandry wise. I'm changing his feeding schedule now from weekly to every 2-3 weeks.

If it barely lost any weight, I would not worry about it. Personally, I would not try a different prey unless the snake lost a lot weight and needs to eat. Fasting is normal for this species. An annoying and frustrating habit of theirs but oh so common.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

IllumiBunny (03-19-2019),jmcrook (03-19-2019),ShawarmaPoutine (03-19-2019),Sonny1318 (03-20-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ShawarmaPoutine View Post
    Offer every 7-10 days only. Did s/he stop eating as winter came in? If so, it’s likely due to the change in ambient temperature, winters being drier (lower humidity) and a change in air pressure. A similar thing happened to my male banana (fasted for 90 days - lost 100 grams) and I got him to eat again buy changing from rats to mice (one feeding only) and now I am scenting small rats with mice to get him to eat them.
    Around the end of January she stopped eating so about a month and a half after winter started, we had a rat for her but it got too big and started to bite at her so we returned it for a mouse instead since we thought we might have it for a while and it wouldn't grow to be too big for her so we've had the mouse for about a month now

I love my danger noodle

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Assuming she is of good body weight she could fast for a year without issue so 2 months is nothing.

Make sure your husbandry is on spot and try changing things around a bit.
    Deborah Stewart

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (03-20-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    Assuming she is of good body weight she could fast for a year without issue so 2 months is nothing.

Make sure your husbandry is on spot and try changing things around a bit.
    I'm not breeding her I only have one snake she's my only snake and I don't plan on breeding her

I love my danger noodle

Thanks
    Thanked 19,829 Times in 11,846 Posts
    Try an office supply store for a digital scale- I've had mine for many years- it only weighs up to 5 lbs, & either oz. or grams, battery operated. Weigh a container
    by itself, then with the snake in it, & subtract the weight of the container. Bathroom scales for people aren't precise or accurate enough for weighing snakes.

As already mentioned, offering too often adds stress & makes a snake less likely to eat. Wait 7-10 days between tries, & try not to worry...BPs just do this.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Try an office supply store for a digital scale- I've had mine for many years- it only weighs up to 5 lbs, & either oz. or grams, battery operated. Weigh a container
    by itself, then with the snake in it, & subtract the weight of the container. Bathroom scales for people aren't precise or accurate enough for weighing snakes.

As already mentioned, offering too often adds stress & makes a snake less likely to eat. Wait 7-10 days between tries, & try not to worry...BPs just do this.
    Well I was going about 5 Days in between trying but yeah I will give her more than that to see what happens it's just weird because she acts like she wants to eat acts hungry but when I try to go and feed her she sticks her nose up at it.

I love my danger noodle

Thanks
    Thanked 19,829 Times in 11,846 Posts
    I know...I've kept BPs in the past...they can be frustrating. Like when we cannot decide about something, I think they "want to eat" but their instinct over-rules
    their stomach. Remember that in the wild, a snake that gets stuck with a meal when it's too cold to digest can actually die when it spoils in their stomach.

Natural selection has weeded out those that made that mistake- those that didn't make that mistake went on to live longer, breed & pass their genes forward to
    the frustrating pet you now have... They had no way of knowing that humans were going to come along with RHP's & thermostats, & build them "condos", lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast