Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,187

2 members and 3,185 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Two heat sources on one thermostat?

Quote Originally Posted by Ax01 View Post
    yep, make sure the placement is like how it's outlined in this helpful diagram from Mr Mod Pitontheprowl.

Edit: also looks like that thermostat u have is rated up to 600watts which would be good for running a rack w/ a long strip of heattape and your UTH is rated up to 24watts. u don't have to buy the higher wattage thermostat if they offer a lower watt one for less.
    I did it exactly like this...and my readings are off. I have my thermostat set high like at 110° to see if inside the hide it can reach at least 90°. But it's not. The highest reading I'm getting is 85

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Red357 View Post
    I did it exactly like this...and my readings are off. I have my thermostat set high like at 110° to see if inside the hide it can reach at least 90°. But it's not. The highest reading I'm getting is 85

Your readings aren't necessarily off. It's probably that the heat isn't penetrating to the surface. If your ambient temps aren't high enough, a UTH may never be able to create a warm enough hot spot because the heat will dissipate too quickly due to the low ambient temperature.

What's the temp in the room were the enclosure is located? I'll bet it's too low to use only a UTH.

Hook up the CHE to the thermostat and use that. You may need to play with the settings a bit, but I guarantee in short order you'll achieve the right temperature gradient.
    Last edited by JRLongton; 03-08-2019 at 04:11 PM. Reason: grammar
    \m/

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JRLongton For This Useful Post:

Red357 (03-08-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JRLongton View Post
    Your readings aren't necessarily off. It's probably that the heat isn't penetrating to the surface. If your ambient temps aren't high enough, a UTH may never be able to create a warm enough hot spot because the heat will dissipate too quickly due to the low ambient temperature.

What's the temp in the room were the enclosure is located? I'll bet it's too low to use only a UTH.

Hook up the CHE to the thermostat and use that. You may need to play with the settings a bit, but I guarantee in short order you'll achieve the right temperature gradient.
    🤔 good question. Honestly I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure it drops to low 70's at night. But during the middle of the night when I had the UTH connected directly to the wall (no thermostat) it was warm inside that hide. I think a little too warm. That's why I did this setting here with the thermostat

Thanks

Sorry forgot to ask. What's a CHE? I don't think I've heard of that before. Unless I've heard it named something else.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    It's important to measure the actual surface of the glass, not the substrate. Snakes can and will burrow and push substrate around and lay directly on the glass.

Thanks

Edit: Craig got to it first.

Also, I think it's an important note that even if the glass doesn't feel that hot too you, it could be hot enough to burn your snake. Since we are warm blooded, things won't feel hot until they are hotter than the extremity in contact with it (let's say hands are usually high 80's low 90's) so a surface adequate for the snake to heat itself with is likely going to feel fairly neutral to your touch.

Now, the danger is that when we think of burns we think of how we might burn, but the process is different partly because we are warm blooded and our tissues react to mild sources of heat differently than our scaly friends. Even if we think we can leave our hand on the surface all day and all night, and it doesn't 'feel very hot' the sensitive skin of your snake (which does not have the somewhat built-in temperature regulation that us warm blooded humans do) could still burn if they fail to move off of the heat source soon enough, and historically they are not very good at telling temperature with their bellies.

Sorry to be long-winded, just thought a detailed explanation might help. I agree with the others that getting an additional thermostat is the way to go.
    Last edited by -ryan-; 03-08-2019 at 04:42 PM.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to -ryan- For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (03-08-2019),JRLongton (03-08-2019),mikemooch (03-08-2019),Red357 (03-08-2019)

Thanks

I had the UTH connected directly to the wall (no thermostat) it was warm inside that hide. I think a little too warm.
    Yeah, don't do that. Never run any heat source without a thermostat.

To answer your other question, a CHE is a Ceramic Heat Emitter. Very useful and commonly used method to warm a reptile enclosure. If you can't keep the temps right with a UTH, then get a CHE, and use it with the thermostat. Placement of the temp probe will be different with a CHE. I'll let others chime in on that as I've never used a CHE before, RHP all the way for me!

If you ask questions and take the advice you get here seriously, you'll do fine. This community wants you to be successful and to have a healthy and long-lived snake.
    \m/

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JRLongton For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (03-08-2019),Red357 (03-08-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by -ryan- View Post
    Edit: Craig got to it first.

Also, I think it's an important note that even if the glass doesn't feel that hot too you, it could be hot enough to burn your snake. Since we are warm blooded, things won't feel hot until they are hotter than the extremity in contact with it (let's say hands are usually high 80's low 90's) so a surface adequate for the snake to heat itself with is likely going to feel fairly neutral to your touch.

Now, the danger is that when we think of burns we think of how we might burn, but the process is different partly because we are warm blooded and our tissues react to mild sources of heat differently than our scaly friends. Even if we think we can leave our hand on the surface all day and all night, and it doesn't 'feel very hot' the sensitive skin of your snake (which does not have the somewhat built-in temperature regulation that us warm blooded humans do) could still burn if they fail to move off of the heat source soon enough, and historically they are not very good at telling temperature with their bellies.

Sorry to be long-winded, just thought a detailed explanation might help. I agree with the others that getting an additional thermostat is the way to go.

Great point. I didn't think about it like that.

Thanks

Yeah, don't do that. Never run any heat source without a thermostat.

To answer your other question, a CHE is a Ceramic Heat Emitter. Very useful and commonly used method to warm a reptile enclosure. If you can't keep the temps right with a UTH, then get a CHE, and use it with the thermostat. Placement of the temp probe will be different with a CHE. I'll let others chime in on that as I've never used a CHE before, RHP all the way for me!

If you ask questions and take the advice you get here seriously, you'll do fine. This community wants you to be successful and to have a healthy and long-lived snake.
    Is a CHE a light bulb?

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Is a CHE a light bulb?

No, but it works the same, without shining any light. It screws in like a bulb, but just throws heat without any light
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 03-08-2019 at 05:57 PM.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

JRLongton (03-11-2019),Red357 (03-08-2019)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast