Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,263

2 members and 3,261 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg

Thread: Feeding

Thanks

Feeding

I feed my ball python weekly and the past 3 weeks I haven’t gotten her to eat. I was wondering if someone could give me some answers. She hasn’t been eating for the past 3 weeks I’ve probably tried to feed her around 6 times in those 3 weeks. I’ve used the same rat and I was wondering if she wasn’t eating it because it has been freezed and dethawed so many times? Another reason i think why she may not be feeding is because 4 weeks ago I changed hides. When she was in her old hides she would lift it up off the ground because she was big. I put in the hides and she ate the first week with the new it, but has net eaten since so I don’t know if that’s the reason. When she gets hungry she usually comes out of her hide at night and she has been doing that, but she ignores the food. I even put my finger in front of her just to see if she reacted to the heat but she didnt. My tempatures and humtity are fine. Is this just a feeding strike and if so how long do they last or is it one of the reasons I listed?
    Last edited by ben463; 02-26-2019 at 12:33 AM. Reason: I forgot to mention that when she gets hungry she comes out of her hide and night and she has been doing that bu

Thanks

Feeding

I believe you should toss the mouse/ rat once thawed. I have never froze and reheated after thaw. I know at $8.00 a piece it sucks to toss. I tossed medium rat this weekend when my adult male refused to eat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Jaguar63122; 02-26-2019 at 12:32 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaguar63122 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-26-2019)

Thanks

Feeding

I would not refreeze a thawed rat personally. Also if a snake refuses to eat you should not offer food until at least a week after the first attempt and 2 weeks can even be beneficial.

I would wait 1-2 weeks and offer a smaller prey item than normal.

Last edited by Jcd5v; 02-26-2019 at 12:32 AM.
    BS in Animal Science- Future Exotic Veterinarian
    1.0 X Karma BEL- Apollo
    1.0 X Mystic x Ghost- Kronos
    0.1 X Invisiball Spider- Medusa

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jcd5v For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-26-2019),Craiga 01453 (02-26-2019)

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Re: Feeding

You can re-freeze prey once. After that its garbage. Also trying to feed 6 times in 3 weeks is part of the problem. They can go off feed for months and you never keep offering food every few days or refusing becomes habit forming. When they refuse you try again in 2 weeks. If it happens again they are probably off. Check your temps also and make sure your dialed in. This is the time of year a healthy snake can go off for 2/4/6 months. Mine was off for 8 months last winter only loosing 15 grams.

Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-26-2019),Craiga 01453 (02-26-2019),EL-Ziggy (02-26-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,829 Times in 11,846 Posts

Re: Feeding

Quote Originally Posted by ben463 View Post
    I feed my ball python weekly and the past 3 weeks I haven’t gotten her to eat. I was wondering if someone could give me some answers. She hasn’t been eating for the past 3 weeks I’ve probably tried to feed her around 6 times in those 3 weeks. I’ve used the same rat and I was wondering if she wasn’t eating it because it has been freezed and dethawed so many times? Another reason i think why she may not be feeding is because 4 weeks ago I changed hides. When she was in her old hides she would lift it up off the ground because she was big. I put in the hides and she ate the first week with the new it, but has net eaten since so I don’t know if that’s the reason. When she gets hungry she usually comes out of her hide at night and she has been doing that, but she ignores the food. I even put my finger in front of her just to see if she reacted to the heat but she didnt. My tempatures and humtity are fine. Is this just a feeding strike and if so how long do they last or is it one of the reasons I listed?
    How old is your BP? (or how big if you don't know the age?) Adult BPs are more likely to skip meals in winter than young ones...

I'm also not a fan of refreezing prey...it spoils & BPs are not carrion-eaters....their nose knows. (gag!)

Stress is also a factor: how long have you had this snake? how much handling have you been doing? (sticking your finger in her face didn't help any) As already noted,
    when a snake refuses, leave them alone for a week or 2 before retrying. Trying too often = stress & more likely another refusal.

Most BPs like to ambush their prey while peeking out of a hide at night (dim light preferable); they don't usually feel as brave to feed when they're cruising their cage.