Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,281

1 members and 3,280 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 460 Posts

Re: What scales do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by Jakethesnake69 View Post
    Often called luggage scales as well I think mine was like 15 bucks. Never thought to weigh snakes with it until now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    When I attended a friend's home birth a few years ago, the midwife used one of these hanging scales to weigh the baby in a sling. I thought that was pretty neat too!
    2 BP's, one ratsnake, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 small caged birds, 7 chickens, and a toddler in a pear tree

2. The Following User Says Thank You to FollowTheSun For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (02-21-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ama1997 View Post
    This is the one I use. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 It runs on batteries, but you can buy a power adapter for it. I had mine of just over 3 years with zero issues so far.

I actually just got the smaller version of this scale in the mail today. The UltraShip 55 Lb. scale.

I ended up buying one of these because I was having trouble weighing my bigger females on a kitchen scale, because the tubs that would hold them would cover the display. With this scale it has a remote display on a 2 ft. cord that pulls away from the scale so you'll always be able to see the readout no matter the tub size needed for your animal, even boas should be weighable on here if you can get them in a tub long enough. And the smallest model will still weigh up to 35 lbs, the largest will top out at 75, and most of us here aren't really gonna come close to weighing anything near that large.

The only problem I see with it is that it's accurate to within 2 grams if you're weighing something under 1000 grams, but anything over that it's only accurate to within 5 grams, but it maintains that level of accuracy to well over the weight of most snakes you'd be able to fit on it. And 5 grams is still a negligible tolerance when dealing with a 2500+ gram female. So not a big con, but still not as accurate as a within 1 gram accuracy kitchen scale.

I'm just excited to finally see how big my big girl Snickers actually is, her last weigh-in that we could manage she was just under 2400, and she looks like she's really put on some size since then. She looks massive when I compare her to my 2200 gram Pastave Bee female, Praline, who's ballooned as she gets closer to laying time.

I'll put an update in once I've tested the scale and weighed them, and hopefully I'll be able to speak highly of the new scale.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RXLReptiles For This Useful Post:

ama1997 (02-21-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RXLReptiles View Post
    I actually just got the smaller version of this scale in the mail today. The UltraShip 55 Lb. scale.

I ended up buying one of these because I was having trouble weighing my bigger females on a kitchen scale, because the tubs that would hold them would cover the display. With this scale it has a remote display on a 2 ft. cord that pulls away from the scale so you'll always be able to see the readout no matter the tub size needed for your animal, even boas should be weighable on here if you can get them in a tub long enough. And the smallest model will still weigh up to 35 lbs, the largest will top out at 75, and most of us here aren't really gonna come close to weighing anything near that large.

The only problem I see with it is that it's accurate to within 2 grams if you're weighing something under 1000 grams, but anything over that it's only accurate to within 5 grams, but it maintains that level of accuracy to well over the weight of most snakes you'd be able to fit on it. And 5 grams is still a negligible tolerance when dealing with a 2500+ gram female. So not a big con, but still not as accurate as a within 1 gram accuracy kitchen scale.

I'm just excited to finally see how big my big girl Snickers actually is, her last weigh-in that we could manage she was just under 2400, and she looks like she's really put on some size since then. She looks massive when I compare her to my 2200 gram Pastave Bee female, Praline, who's ballooned as she gets closer to laying time.

I'll put an update in once I've tested the scale and weighed them, and hopefully I'll be able to speak highly of the new scale.
    The moveable display is also the reason I went with this one. My only real concern is the quality of the cord used to connect the base with the display. I really only weigh the babies a few times to make sure they are growing ok. Sometimes I'll get asked for an updated weight on an animal that's up for sale. So this 75lb scale was a bit overkill for me. I also use it for getting weights for shipping.

Back when I first started keeping/breeding 1993ish. I weighed everything. It ate, I weighed it. It pooped I weighed the snake. It laid eggs. I weighed the snake, and the eggs. I even weighed the water x vermiculite mix for the egg boxes.

As for how accurate it is. A few g's either way I don't think is that big of a deal. Only real issue with that would be when shipping.

Sent from my moto g(6) (XT1925DL) using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Yeah, I'm an OCD record keeper, always have been.

For now, while my collection is still relatively small, I weigh everyone once a week just to have it set to a schedule, and it allows me time each week to ensure that everyone is doing well and nobody slips by the wayside.

I also weigh my frozen rodents when I get them in and split them up by weight so feeding is easier each week. It comes in handy when I know I need some fuzzies around 15g, a pup around 25, and then smalls ranging from 50 grams up to 80-85 depending on which snake they're for. Everything is prelabeled and I can just grab a few baggies full and go.

Now if only I could devise a way to know if they felt like eating...... lol

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123