Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,456

3 members and 3,453 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks

Apollo is not being a good boy and he looks pink.

So it has been a week since a got Apollo. He ate two days ago so I decided to get him out and weigh him (398g). He was ok when I got him out of his hide but when I was going to get him out of the plastic tub I used to weigh him in, he struck at me. It’s a miracle I didn’t drop the container. So now I am going to be snake shy of course. What is the best way to keep me from getting bit? I’d rather not have a snake I never see nor touch. Also his body seems a little pink. Temps are fine. 92 in hot hide, 84 ambient on hot, 80 on cool. 52% humidity. The thermometer probe is on the glass of the UTH and is controlled by a thermostat with the probe between the UTH and tank. Here are some pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    BS in Animal Science- Future Exotic Veterinarian
    1.0 X Karma BEL- Apollo
    1.0 X Mystic x Ghost- Kronos
    0.1 X Invisiball Spider- Medusa

Thanks
    Thanked 1,986 Times in 1,247 Posts

Re: Apollo is not being a good boy and he looks pink.

Might be going into shed. Hard to tell on white snakes. It's an uncomfortable process for them. I'd just leave him be.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cletus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-12-2019),Craiga 01453 (02-13-2019),FollowTheSun (02-13-2019)

Thanks

Could be the dog down there on the floor that's pretty close to the snake

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jellybeans For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-13-2019),Craiga 01453 (02-13-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,830 Times in 11,847 Posts
    You should be leaving him alone to settle in...you've only had him for a week...you are lucky he ate for you, but you are at fault for him striking...he should be allowed
    to settle in for as long as it takes for him to eat 3 times at normal intervals. You don't need a weight on him this minute...just be patient, he's scared! He's in a new
    place & there's this giant (you!) hanging around too... and instead of worrying about HIM, all you can worry about is being "snake shy" & "not getting bit"?

P.S. If you are so afraid of a snake bite that you might drop the container he's in, what are you doing with a pet snake?

P.S. Apollo is just being a snake...he's defending himself. Practice patience...learn to read his body language...nearly all bites are preventable.
    You earned this one. Try to imagine how HE feels.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-12-2019 at 09:18 PM.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (02-27-2019),Craiga 01453 (02-13-2019),Roux (02-28-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    You should be leaving him alone to settle in...you've only had him for a week...you are lucky he ate for you, but you are at fault for him striking...he should be allowed
    to settle in for as long as it takes for him to eat 3 times at normal intervals. You don't need a weight on him this minute...just be patient, he's scared! He's in a new
    place & there's this giant (you!) hanging around too... and instead of worrying about HIM, all you can worry about is being "snake shy" & "not getting bit"?
    Ok. Thanks for the info. Could’ve been presented a little different. I read 5-7 days for adjustment but I can definitely wait 3 feedings. No need to be condescending.

1.0 X Karma BEL- Apollo

Thanks

Apollo is not being a good boy and he looks pink.

P.S. If you are so afraid of a snake bite that you might drop the container he's in, what are you doing with a pet snake?
    P.S. it’s my first snake. I think most people don’t want to get bitten and I wasn’t actually going to drop the container. It was just surprising.

Last edited by Jcd5v; 02-12-2019 at 09:19 PM.
    1.0 X Karma BEL- Apollo

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jcd5v View Post
    Ok. Thanks for the info. Could’ve been presented a little different....
    I think it was your thread title, blaming the snake for being afraid of you. I will always side with the snakes... They get enough blame already.
    It does get easier to "read" them, but it takes time...they are worth knowing.

Thanks

I think it was your thread title, blaming the snake for being afraid of you. I will always side with the snakes... They get enough blame already.
    It does get easier to "read" them, but it takes time...they are worth knowing.
    Oh ok. I guess I did make it seem that way. Yea I’m watching some more behavior videos. I’ll make sure to leave him alone for the next couple of feedings. I just wanted a weight to better choose his prey items. Thank you for your help! Do you have any ideas about the pink?

1.0 X Karma BEL- Apollo

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jcd5v For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-12-2019)

Thanks
    There's 2 kinds of pink:
    When a BP (of any color or morph) is going into a shed cycle, their ventral side (underneath, 'tummy') often has a pinkish tint prior to shedding...it's normal.

When an albino snake is small (young), they often look pinkish all over...that's because you're seeing their blood circulation showing thru their pale color, at least
    until they get bigger & put on more "padding".

I'm thinking it's the second one you meant? You should see some other hatchlings, like albino king snakes...you can see all sorts of things thru their nearly-trans-
    lucent skin & scales when they're young, besides looking pink all over. They do outgrow it.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Jcd5v (02-12-2019)

Thanks

There's 2 kinds of pink:
    When a BP (of any color or morph) is going into a shed cycle, their ventral side (underneath, 'tummy') often has a pinkish tint prior to shedding...it's normal.

When an albino snake is small (young), they often look pinkish all over...that's because you're seeing their blood circulation showing thru their pale color, at least
    until they get bigger & put on more "padding".

I'm thinking it's the second one you meant? You should see some other hatchlings, like albino king snakes...you can see all sorts of things thru their nearly-trans-
    lucent skin & scales when they're young, besides looking pink all over. They do outgrow it.
    Ok cool. I just wanted to make sure there’s nothing wrong with him because it was the first time I’ve seen the pink on him.

1.0 X Karma BEL- Apollo

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast