Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,367

0 members and 3,367 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Threaded View

Thanks

1st time hobby breeding Qs+ x-ray progress photo :)

Here to seek (kind) advice this is my first time trying for breeding some healthy noodles!
    First.. here’s an X-ray progression of my Enchi(lada) who has been a mom of multiple clutches. I work at a veterinary office so I would take more but I don’t want to over expose the poss. noodles in progress. So fun to see though!

As for my questions:
    ive read many, many, many, and also very other many varied opinions of egg incubation strategies. I posted part of what I have going currently in the second photo (since lack of detail has gotten me in trouble on here before....)

I am choosing to go the route of Vermiculite. I used an egg crate in the light diffuser section and used a soldering iron to melt a chunk of the crate to fit the size of the egg tub.

1. I’ve seen the egg crate both hover above the vermiculite and set on it. Which is recommended?
    2. I’ve also read the same set up but with the egg crate set in that tub substrateless but above water.
    3. I am having a hard time maintaining the 90-100% humidity range for the eggs (correct me if this not actually the ideal range) granted I have not yet received my digital humidity gauge yet for more accuracy and I have not yet made the 1:1 ratio of the vermiculite for under the egg box nor the water since I’m wondering which is better. So how do you guys best maintain consistent humidity even if it fluctuates despite daily misting? I’ve tried to set wet paper towels as well and didn’t make a whole lot of a difference for me......
    4. Around mid/late January she went in to what I thought was pre-lay shed. Pink belly, much more gray appearance. She went back to normal and now it’s been longer than normally my others would have shed by now. I’ve read not all go into a pre-lay shed. If they skip over this part is there another tell tale sign for when to roughly expect eggs?

I unfortunately do not trust myself to make a self incubator that I can count on so this is the incubator I’ve got going. I’m just hoping to have the eggs hatch healthy so I would love kind input. I’m here to learn how to better myself! Thank you lots!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timeakinga For This Useful Post:

e_nigma (02-02-2019),Ronniex2 (02-23-2019)