Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,203

0 members and 3,203 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Please Help!!!! Are these burns????

No problem, I'm glad I could help Always better to be too anxious than too careless with pets imo. Let's hope she has a good shed soon and the pink disappears!

I saw her pics in your gallery, she really has an angel face! It's so cute how she gets in your hair too.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Luvyna For This Useful Post:

Hannahvh (02-01-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hannahvh View Post
    Hey everyone, I just took my girl out cause I had a weird feeling all day at work to check on her when I got home. She ate two days ago and I usually handle her after that and look her over and whatnot about once a week.

She has been spending a lot of time in her warm hide (which didn't strike me as unusual as she always does). When I took her out today and looked under her belly, IT IS VERY PINK. Only in the bottom half towards her tail. The pics uploaded very zoomed in for some reason, so pan out to get full pic:

https://ball-pythons.net/gallery/fil...4/img_4801.jpg
    https://ball-pythons.net/gallery/fil...4/img_4800.jpg

Are these burns????? If so, how severe?? How can I treat her?? Do I need to take her to a vet?? The poor thing is laid across a cool blanket that I have, that must be cooling her off as she hasn't moved and usually she is very adventurous when I take her out

I have the UTH connected to a thermostat. I unfortunately didn't know when I first set up her cage (She is 3 years old but I only adopted her 3 weeks ago), and put the probe INSIDE her cage, directly above the UTH, under the substrate. I had attached it to the bottom with safe adhesive that I saw in a video from a Youtube Channel called SnakeDiscovery- they seem reputable and have watched a lot of their videos.

When I noticed the pink, I moved everything in her cage and she had somehow ripped the probe free and it was not in its usual spot, although in the same general area. I used a temp gun and measured the spot that she lays in and it was 99 degrees F!!!!!

I am in tears right now, I feel so bad and can only thank the snake gods that I checked on her today and did not wait until tomorrow. Is she in pain?? How do I help her? Bath? Leave her alone?

In addition to treating the burns (if thats what this is), what do I do about the thermostat? Apparently that nontoxic adhesive did not work well enough and she managed to wiggle it free. The UTH is already attached to the bottom of the tub, so I cannot put it in between the UTH and the bottom of the tub. HOWEVER, if you recommend, I will buy a whole new UTH and re-attach it correctly if that is the right way. Where is the probe supposed to be? I cannot live with myself if she gets burned again

Please help!!
    Unless someone else is without a doubt, that definitely looks pre shed pink belly to me. Time to make sure your husbandry is on point and boost your humidity. As far as probe/undertank heaters go, I’m a infrared light guy. I believe though sone other members already pointed you to the right direction on that. Good luck.
    1.0 Black Pastel Pinstripe
    1.0 Reduced Pattern Clown
    1.0 Low White Pied
    1.0 Hypo Super Enchi

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonny1318 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-01-2019),Hannahvh (02-01-2019)

Thanks

She says thankssss! She really is such a weird, adorable little one! She has an obsession with curtains and thinks she’s a hair accessory

Quote Originally Posted by Luvyna View Post
    No problem, I'm glad I could help Always better to be too anxious than too careless with pets imo. Let's hope she has a good shed soon and the pink disappears!

I saw her pics in your gallery, she really has an angel face! It's so cute how she gets in your hair too.

Thanks

Oh great, I’m really happy you think so! I’ll keep monitoring her just to make sure. Her humidity is up to 70 to prepare for shed, temps are good, and she has some good surfaces to rub on!

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny1318 View Post
    Unless someone else is without a doubt, that definitely looks pre shed pink belly to me. Time to make sure your husbandry is on point and boost your humidity. As far as probe/undertank heaters go, I’m a infrared light guy. I believe though sone other members already pointed you to the right direction on that. Good luck.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

I didn't fully read through all the posts, just skimmed the replies, but I agree that that looks like pre-shed. I mostly just wanted to add pics for reference since I have an example of each.

First one is from my spider boy, he gets a majorly pink belly before sheds and this is what it looks like, pardon the weird lighting, he refused to sit still.

This next one is actually from a snake a friend bought and had shipped. He arrived with what was pretty clearly minor burns, though the lighting here is bad. You can see how it isn't evenly pink and near the edges of the scales are more red. It looked more red everywhere in person, but he healed up just fine after a few sheds. (This "breeder" insisted it couldn't be burns and that his belly was like that for the year he had him; not revealed till after his arrival. There were indications that he didn't use a thermostat on his racks since it wasn't needed.)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by pretends2bnormal; 02-01-2019 at 11:23 AM.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-01-2019),Hannahvh (02-01-2019),Sonny1318 (02-01-2019)

Thanks

99 is toasty....but it would not burn your snake.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Andiamo For This Useful Post:

Hannahvh (02-01-2019)

Thanks

This was very helpful, thank you! Her pink looks much more similar to your spider's pre-shed belly than the burn markings- not as blotchy and prominent as those burns. I also noticed her skin was a little more "stretchy" than usual and her scales seemed a little more raised, almost like they were "loose". Are these more pre-shed signs that you know of?

Quote Originally Posted by pretends2bnormal View Post
    I didn't fully read through all the posts, just skimmed the replies, but I agree that that looks like pre-shed. I mostly just wanted to add pics for reference since I have an example of each.

First one is from my spider boy, he gets a majorly pink belly before sheds and this is what it looks like, pardon the weird lighting, he refused to sit still.

This next one is actually from a snake a friend bought and had shipped. He arrived with what was pretty clearly minor burns, though the lighting here is bad. You can see how it isn't evenly pink and near the edges of the scales are more red. It looked more red everywhere in person, but he healed up just fine after a few sheds. (This "breeder" insisted it couldn't be burns and that his belly was like that for the year he had him; not revealed till after his arrival. There were indications that he didn't use a thermostat on his racks since it wasn't needed.)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hannahvh View Post
    This was very helpful, thank you! Her pink looks much more similar to your spider's pre-shed belly than the burn markings- not as blotchy and prominent as those burns. I also noticed her skin was a little more "stretchy" than usual and her scales seemed a little more raised, almost like they were "loose". Are these more pre-shed signs that you know of?
    I think the loose skin/drier scales can be a sign, but it is also a potential sign of low humidity. If you've checked and the humidity is definitely good, then it can be a sign though it isn't always noticeable from my experience.

From what I've seen, the burns I have pictures of are pretty minor; no open wounds or blisters at all like a worse burn has. Treatment when it is as minor as the one I posted before can be as simple as good temps, humidity, and soft substrate like paper towels. I think my friend did use some of the silver cream stuff (blanking on the word for it right now) a few times, but most of the work was on him to shed it off. With open wounds it is different of course as there is infection risk, etc.

Thanks

Perfect, yes, I am quite "neurotic" when it comes to her husbandry- humidity always around 54% checked with digital hygrometers on each end of the tub and her ambient temps are regulated as well hovering 77-80F and her hot spot (until the thermometer issue) at 90F. Hopefully, it's just a side effect of the shedding. I've never seen her shed before, so I have a hard time telling the difference.

I agree, that IF these are indeed burns, they look very minor- no blisters or dried scales (from other pics I looked up of belly burns last night) and the pink is pretty light. But, just in case, I'll change out her substrate and keep an eye on her

Quote Originally Posted by pretends2bnormal View Post
    I think the loose skin/drier scales can be a sign, but it is also a potential sign of low humidity. If you've checked and the humidity is definitely good, then it can be a sign though it isn't always noticeable from my experience.

From what I've seen, the burns I have pictures of are pretty minor; no open wounds or blisters at all like a worse burn has. Treatment when it is as minor as the one I posted before can be as simple as good temps, humidity, and soft substrate like paper towels. I think my friend did use some of the silver cream stuff (blanking on the word for it right now) a few times, but most of the work was on him to shed it off. With open wounds it is different of course as there is infection risk, etc.

Thanks

I just wanted to update everyone that I caught Nagini with the blue eyes and dull skin today!!!! Looks like it was just a pre-shed belly afterall! Will still be attaching a new UTH after she sheds just to be safe!

https://ball-pythons.net/gallery/fil...4/img_4824.jpg

Thanks all for your input!

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hannahvh For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-05-2019),Luvyna (02-05-2019),pretends2bnormal (02-05-2019)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast