Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,323

1 members and 3,322 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

New tank, new balls, new everything

well, after about a year, i finally have my own place and i can finally go "all out." picked up 2 male juvy ball pythons yesterday along with this 75 gallon tank/stand + accesories. yes im aware that its not a good idea to house them together which is why i will be installing a divider when they reach close to 2 ft. in length. my gf and i still have not named them so if you have any suggestions, im all ears. they are still in the acclimation stage but when the "warmup" period is over, ill take em out and get some close up pictures. they are quite gorgeous.

just a random question. they were last fed last friday..although they are still in the acclimation stage, should i make an attempt to feed them? i know the young'ns must eat much more frequently but i dont want to make them uncomfortable (although they show no signs of shyness). without further delay here they are.

our setup from afar. includes the tank/stand..48" light.."custom" top until the real thing arrives. 1 large grapevine, 1 large driftwood...2 large bending vines..1 pack of leaves..aspen substrate...1 hollow log hide and 1 "cave" hide. 1 water dish. 1 large UTH...1 night light bulb, 1 heat bulb, and 1 incandescent (sp?) bulb..

^my girlfriends..he likes to pose.

^that is mine. he was a bit shy the first day, but today he seems happy and explorative.

Thanks

Re: New tank, new balls, new everything

Welcome to the site. Ok I didn't see any mention of anything to measure those temperatures. You need to be positive that your hot side is 92-94 degrees and your cool side 82-84. Those temps need to be constant 24/7. It looks like a very nice natural setup, but as you already mentioned housing two snakes together is not a good idea. I would put more hides in there. Two hides hot and cool side and then maybe a few more for good measure. Juvi snakes do not like open spaces and the more cover they have the better. I would make sure you have your temps up in the right range before offering food. They need that heat to digest their meals. Walmart/Lowes or similiar store sell digital outdoor thermometers that can measure temps and humidity. They're so much better than those strips or dials.
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

I wouldn't wait on that divider or you may come home to find one missing. It's been documented time and time again that ball pythons can be cannibalistic, especially when they are young like yours.

Good luck with that!

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks

we already do have thermo. on both sides of the tank. just forgot to mention them. we will be doing something about the division soon. ive got to get a ceramic heater to get the temp up a few more degrees. im not 100% happy with the temp. just yet.