Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,397

3 members and 3,394 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97

Thread: Mites!

Thanks

Mites!

Hello all

The dreaded word....MITES... I notice for the last two days my snake was acting very different. Quite active during the day which never happens and hanging by the water bowl more than usual. Just by looking at her in the cage I couldn't notice anything so I took her out for a up and close inspection and found three mites that I could see. Of course I am freaking out. I quarantined her in a tub, moved her out and took the cage to the garage for cleaning. For the cage I am going to use prevent a mite which leads me to my question. The direction say leave substrate in and not to spray in a bare cage. For me the first thing I did was get rid of the substrate that was in there. My plan was for treatment just use paper towels for the bottom. So why can't I just spray an empty cage (along with the fake plants I have in there and water bowl removed), use paper towels for the duration of treatment and when finished, place brand new substrate back in? Maybe I am just reading into the directions too much, but with that said this is my first time having to deal with this and I want to make sure I do it right and be safe. Also I did treat the snake itself with Natural Chemistry Reptile Spray. Any kind of advice, tips, etc is so much appreciated!

Thanks
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa (Northern)
    0.1 Green Tree Python (Aru)
    0.1 Pueblan Milk Snake
    1.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake
    1.0 Pied Het Lavender Albino Ball Python
    1.0 Yellow Phase Eastern Hognose

Thanks
    Thanked 19,830 Times in 11,847 Posts
    I would have dumped the current substrate too, but I think what most ppl do is spray new paper towels to put in...wait for them to dry thoroughly, that's
    very important (that the snake has no contact with wet 'PAM'). I've happily never had to use 'PAM' but my guess as to why you don't just spray the cage
    alone is that you need it to be absorbed by the paper towels, so the effectiveness lingers. If you sprayed on a bare cage, it might also leave a slick that
    comes off on the snake...but I'm only guessing on that. Just follow their directions... Take out all non-essentials. Fake plants will NOT get coated evenly
    and may harbor mite eggs...most ppl don't chance it & throw them away; water bowls should be clean well but not contaminated with PAM, so they have to
    be taken out as well. Good luck, stay vigilant...mites often return because not everyone follows the directions or somehow misses their temporary hiding places.

And I notice you have 4 snakes, but only one has mites? Be very careful to work on the snake with mites LAST, (as in quarantine) so you don't end up having
    to treat them all...mites have been thought to hitch rides on our clothing, etc.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 01-28-2019 at 06:35 PM.

Thanks

Re: Mites!

I definetely would’ve removed any substrate, as well as move that snake as far as I could from my others. Snakes do tend to soak a lot during a mite infestation, presumably to try and drown the little jerks crawling all over them, so thats probably why you’ve seen yours by his water more than normal. I’d toss out any decor like fake plants, keep using the Prevent-A-Mite, and do your best to avoid introducing them to any of your other snakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

So far as I can notice, the others do not have them. The others are acting normal and I haven't been able to see any, but my eyesight sucks and I doubt I would be able to see young mites. With that said, I am at the point to better play safe and attack these little buggers 100% and assume they do or will soon get them. I think I am going to break down the other cages and treat them too.

Thanks
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa (Northern)
    0.1 Green Tree Python (Aru)
    0.1 Pueblan Milk Snake
    1.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake
    1.0 Pied Het Lavender Albino Ball Python
    1.0 Yellow Phase Eastern Hognose

Thanks
    Thanked 19,830 Times in 11,847 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bodie View Post
    So far as I can notice, the others do not have them. The others are acting normal and I haven't been able to see any, but my eyesight sucks and I doubt I would be able to see young mites. With that said, I am at the point to better play safe and attack these little buggers 100% and assume they do or will soon get them. I think I am going to break down the other cages and treat them too.

Thanks
    I think that's what many others do too. Especially if their cages are close to each other...