Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,329

3 members and 3,326 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 501 Posts

Well, that's one way to end up with a pet mouse

I sucked it up and bought a live mouse for our IJ today - she has only eaten twice in the two months we've had her. :/ In hindsight I was overly optimistic in trying to feed her tonight. It was probably too soon to offer after moving her to a smaller enclosure, and the large fuzzy (small hopper?) mouse was maybe a bit too big for her.

I was hoping hunger and the allure of a live meal would win out, but Bridget didn't go for it. She looked interested at first but then seemed to get a bit scared as the mouse approached her. I left it in her tub for about 40 minutes before removing. Maybe I should have left it in longer?

BUUUT... I made the mistake of giving the mouse a few pets after taking it out and it promptly fell asleep in my hand and looked very cute. So now we might have a pet mouse, whoops. I even ran to the store to get some KMR, just in case, because I'm not sure if it's completely weaned yet.

I'll try again with Bridget in a week with a smaller mouse. Hopefully she eats, but if not maybe Lucky will get a friend.

Sent from my H3123 using Tapatalk
    BALL PYTHONS: 1.0 Pied/Clark, 1.0 Pastel Vanilla Super Stripe/Sunny, 0.1 Dragon Fly/Buffy, 0.1 Pastel Vanilla Yellow Belly/Cher, 0.1 BEL (Mojave Lesser)/Arya, 0.0.1 Normal/Norm, 0.1 Cinnamon Enchi/Peaches, 1.0 Cinnamon Calico/Yoshi, 0.1 Pewter Het Dreamsicle/Ariel
    BOAS: 0.1 Dumeril's/Memphis, 0.1 BCL/Artemis, 1.0 BCO/Grimm, 0.1 Suriname BCC/Rhubarb
    CORN SNAKES: 0.0.1/Mushu
    MORELIA: 0.1 Bredli/Zelda, 0.1 Granite IJ/Bridget, 0.1 Caramel Diamond Jungle/Pixie

2. The Following User Says Thank You to WhompingWillow For This Useful Post:

hilabeans (01-28-2019)

Thanks

Re: Well, that's one way to end up with a pet mouse

Go buy some Gerber rice cereal to mix up for it to offer also

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jellybeans For This Useful Post:

WhompingWillow (01-25-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jellybeans View Post
    Go buy some Gerber rice cereal to mix up for it to offer also

I'll go grab some tomorrow, thanks! It currently has water, some KMR in a dish (will change frequently), some plain pumpkin puree, and gerbil/hamster Oxbow pellets, both dry and softened. I've also offered KMR on a syringe tip and it's lapped it right up.
    BALL PYTHONS: 1.0 Pied/Clark, 1.0 Pastel Vanilla Super Stripe/Sunny, 0.1 Dragon Fly/Buffy, 0.1 Pastel Vanilla Yellow Belly/Cher, 0.1 BEL (Mojave Lesser)/Arya, 0.0.1 Normal/Norm, 0.1 Cinnamon Enchi/Peaches, 1.0 Cinnamon Calico/Yoshi, 0.1 Pewter Het Dreamsicle/Ariel
    BOAS: 0.1 Dumeril's/Memphis, 0.1 BCL/Artemis, 1.0 BCO/Grimm, 0.1 Suriname BCC/Rhubarb
    MORELIA: 0.1 Bredli/Zelda, 0.1 Granite IJ/Bridget, 0.1 Caramel Diamond Jungle/Pixie

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

The size looks fine for the snake but, if the prey startles them it can definitely jolt them out of feeding mode.

On the plus side you can offer it again if you have the heart after taking care of it for a little while.

When feeding live you kind of have to have the supplies on hand to feed/ water any refused prey items - it's just part of the deal.

On another point a second hot side hide might be an idea to consider so the snake doesn't have to decide between security and temperature as they generally choose security.
    Last edited by dr del; 01-25-2019 at 09:58 PM. Reason: spelling has apparently left the building
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Awwwwe your doin great!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhompingWillow View Post
    I'll go grab some tomorrow, thanks! It currently has water, some KMR in a dish (will change frequently), some plain pumpkin puree, and gerbil/hamster Oxbow pellets, both dry and softened. I've also offered KMR on a syringe tip and it's lapped it right up.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,830 Times in 11,847 Posts
    As a breeder of mice- since the eyes are open it should be able to eat OK, but it does look small for a hopper too, so it probably wasn't fully weaned yet.
    It should make it OK though... Don't forget, we need to know it's name?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dr del View Post
    On another point a second hot side hide might be an idea to consider so the snake doesn't have to decide between security and temperature as they generally choose security.
    Oh yes, Bridget (the IJ) does have two hides. I should have clarified that the tub photo is for the mouse now, lol. Temporary digs until it's bigger.

Thanks for tips on feeding live! It seems a lot more complicated to me after only doing F/T. With any future live feedings I need to do for her I'll be sure to NOT pet the mouse lol.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to WhompingWillow For This Useful Post:

dr del (01-25-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    As a breeder of mice- since the eyes are open it should be able to eat OK, but it does look small for a hopper too, so it probably wasn't fully weaned yet.
    It should make it OK though... Don't forget, we need to know it's name?
    I named the mouse Lucky! Figured it was fitting. Pretty sure it's a girl after some Googling.

Thanks for the reassurance on food. She is very tiny but pretty plump. Doesn't seem to have the length of the F/T hoppers we have.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to WhompingWillow For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-25-2019)

Thanks

You can tell if it's a girl girls have nipples boys have none

Thanks
    Thanked 19,830 Times in 11,847 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WhompingWillow View Post
    I named the mouse Lucky! Figured it was fitting. Pretty sure it's a girl after some Googling.

Thanks for the reassurance on food. She is very tiny but pretty plump. Doesn't seem to have the length of the F/T hoppers we have.

I HOPE it's a girl if you keep it as a pet. The males have more mouse odor to mark their territory & impress the ladies.
    She should be able to take small seeds & grains ok too.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast